Museu de Arte de Sao Paulo Assis Chateaubriand - MASP
Ranked #12 of 774 things to do in Sao Paulo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Elevated over a concrete platform used for concerts and a weekly crafts fair, the Museu de Arte de São Paulo (São Paulo Art Museum, abbreviated MASP) is itself a work of art; the building is an imposing Modernist box suspended under two bright red concrete supports. Featuring classical European names such as Gauguin, Goya and Gainsborough, the museum also holds one of the largest collections of Brazilian and other Latin American artists on the continent.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Compared to MoMA, we didn't enjoy this one bit. The saving grace was that entry fees were relatively inexpensive. In and out of the museum in under 20 minutes.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,018)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"southern hemisphere"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed June 25, 2014

The MASP has a surprisingly good collection of European paintings! A wonderful self-portrait of Rembrandt as a young man. Excellent Van Gogh's. Monet, Manet, Toulouse-Lautrec and Renoir.
And, for example, a few Goya's. Any leading European museum would be envious of these paintings. In addition, some interesting Brazilian pieces of art (I liked the Rose of Hope) and Man Ray photographs. All in all, a really worthwhile cultural stop when you visit Sao Paulo!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Decent picture collection - seems they have collected 1-2 paintings of each great impressionist. You can see Monet / Manet / Gaugin / Van Gaugh here and others. It is a great place to stop for 1 hour in the midst of shopping in Paulista. The building is also quite an amazing piece of art

Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is MASP, so I don't know why trip advisor has this under a different name. My hotel was very close to here and I had some time to kill, so I decided to walk up to MASP to check it out. The person I was traveling with spoke Portuguese, and she had a meeting so could not go with me. I have traveled to other countries where I didn't know the language and did fine so I did not anticipate any problems. When I got to the ticket counter, there was a sign in English, so I hoped the ticket agent would speak a little English. I was wrong. I am currently a grad student, and they offer a student ticket, but I was unable to get the student price because the guy didn't know what I was saying. In fact, he seemed quite annoyed that I couldn't communicate with him, so I just paid the regular adult price and moved on. You then have to get in via an elevator, and there is someone working the elevator so you cannot choose your floor. Long story short, I was able to see one floor of the museum and then had the guy yell at me in Portuguese because I didn't know what to tell him. They didn't even give me a map of the museum so I couldn't even point to the floor to show him. I ended up seeing one floor of the museum and then he took me to the exit. Of the floor I did see, it was mostly European art, nothing you can't see in any other museum in any major city. If you speak even a little Portuguese, you should do fine. However, if you don't, I would recommend skipping it.