“Very good hotel at the city center”

Hotel Novotel Sao Paulo Jaragua Convention
Ranked #31 of 321 Hotels in Sao Paulo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jerusalem
“Very good hotel at the city center”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel is very close to the old center of the city but quite far from Paulista Avenue which is the more modern center. The room was clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was rich and the buffet dinner was very tasty and plentiful. Access to the restaurant, however, is a bit cumbersome. you have to go down to the lobby than move up two floors by escalators, rather than have direct access by elevator from the room. At the looby they have a special desk for A-club members and service there was superb. I asked for a late check-out as my plane was leaving in the evening. They extended my check-out time by two hours without any hassle. I was surprised, however, that they charged my credit card for the two nights in advance at check-in rather than at check-out as is the custom.

In short, very convenient for those who want to be near the old city center but less so if your business is in the Paulista and Jardims neighborhoods. And if you are staying in Sao Paulo just to catch a connecting flight the next day, you'll be better off staying at a hotel near the airport as it takes about 45 minutes to get to the city from the airport (or back) by taxi and the fare is about 75 US $.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona
Reviewed May 28, 2011

... after the clousure of Plymouth's Novotel, the Sao Paulo Novotel is in my opinion the
black sheep of Novotel.
Some highlights:
Carpet in the rooms are completely worn and full of dirt
During the very cold days in stayed in Sao Paulo, the room's temperature could hardly go beyond 19C during the evenings and night. No heating at all.
Gym with nearly all the machines out-of-order
...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cap180
Reviewed March 14, 2011

As I checked in late I could not enjoy all of the services but the staff was very polite and warm

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Jjjjgv
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We arrived at the Novotel after 33 hours of traveling from Australia, I was tired and felt sick so I sat down on a chair and waited for my partner to check in. The line of people checking in was quite long. A staff member approached me and asked me if everything was ok (I looked a mess) and offered me a drink. It was very nice of him and I really appreciated it.

When showed to our room we went straight to sleep. We had a pretty broken sleep as the air conditioner was leaking onto the carpet. We then woke up around 4am as we heard what we thought were gun shots- later we discovered they were cracker like fireworks. It was quite startling though. We had breakfast around 6am, it was fantastic, really fresh and good quality. We went for a walk around the neighborhood, it was a bit confronting and I was not comfortable walking around the streets as we spoke no Portuguese and had heard stories of robberies and such.

Soon after we checked out to continue our travels into regional Sao Paulo. The Novotel was ok, not as comfortable as I would have liked but I probably would not stay there again, I would stay at one of the airport hotels.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alanadi25
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 1, 2010

too expensive for what is offering ....................................

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Edmonton
Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is a business hotel in every sense of the term, but it made for a great base for exploring the central part of town. The hotel had everything that we were looking for, but we just enjoyed the central district more than the area around Avenida Paulista. We found the history, culture, and streetscape so much more appealing.

We also didn't find the security issues as big as we had perceived. I had the impression the whole area shut down at dark, which is true to some extent, but not totally. We walked comfortably from the metro station to our hotel close to 23:00 with no problems. The only problem was that outside some excellent local Italian restaurants good dinner options were limited after dark.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple