“just an average but pricey hotel”

George V Alto de Pinheiros Hotel
Ranked #191 of 323 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Westwood, New Jersey
“just an average but pricey hotel”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights. Average room. Wifi was not included though the room rent was high; more over the quality of internet connection was very bad! Service was not great. The only thing I liked was the good breakfast. Won't go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank oruvan n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cham, Switzerland
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed there with my family (2 kids of 12 & 14) over Christmas. We got a very spacious and comfortable 2 room with 2 bathrooms for a reasonable price for SP during this time of the year.
Despite at a large junction, the rooms were pretty quiet: you could hardly hear the noise from the streets. The interior was nice and modern. The bathrooms were really rooms, nothing you could find in Paris, London or NY. Breakfast was good though not amazing. The gym was the only small negative point: the machines are definitly not the last generation and not well mantained. Personnel was pleasant and helpful at all times.
Yes I would go definitely back there on business and with my family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The staff couldn't be less welcoming the simple task of checking in seemed to be a huge chore
We were very dissatisfied with the service we received,

1- We were left to walk form the car to the reception with our bags in the rain although there was a doorman with a umbrella standing 5 meters away who was also unable to open the door for us.

2- The receptionist was very rude and did not say hello just "Do you have a reservation!"

3- After been shown to the room witch was under par for a 5 star suite, I went to book a spa treatment was told there isn't a spa (as advertised on the site) just a freelance masseuse who won't be able to make it until the next day at 2pm we were set to check out at 12 noon I ask what we could check out late I was told I could book the masseuse for 2pm and cheek out at 12noon and " you can wait in the car or go for a walk for 2 hours or I could go to another spa". Or "just don't use the spa it's not a obligation"

4- Returned to the room to find the complimentary bottle of water had the sanity seal broken and had been filled with tap water

5- I went back to reception where I was unable to speak to a manager or deputy manager only via a 3 way conversation were I was referred as "the foreigner". There was not on time anybody apologised

6- pool out of order

7- we were in the so called "master suite" below par
We had been in the hotel 25 minutes and I was ready to leave, we went to find a real 5star hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sam L
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

You'll need to know the following before staying at George V:

- Rooms are nice - large apartment style, a perfect Sao Paolo pad for a business trip if your office is local to the hotel. And hope you speak Portuguese, taxi drivers don't know the hotel.
- The breakfast is adequate.

The bad bits:

- They charge you BRL28 for patchy wifi PER DAY PER DEVICE!!! Are you serious? Yes, PER DEVICE! In other words, if you have a smart phone, tablet and work laptop, it will cost you BRL84 PER DAY for wifi. Nice one. And I had to walk around the room trying to find reception.

Just increase your room rate or something, but that is just unacceptable in any language, I'm sorry.

- I have never felt like an inconvenience to staff as much as at George V. I am sorry to have bothered guys. Enough said. (Just to confirm, I am no nuisance, demanding type guest, just a mind my own business professional traveller)

Here's my advice: If you are a 5* hotel, decide to offer 5* hotel services. If you decide you are luxury serviced apartments, then offer and advertise that (it may well be the case). But dont try to be something in between, it doesn't work.

Good luck!

Room Tip: First, ensure you are looking for luxury serviced apartments, rather than a 5* hotel, if yes - my ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Travelitch78
Baar, Switzerland
Reviewed July 12, 2012

During my several business trips to Sao Paulo, I stayed always at the George V.
The room are nice and well equiped, the breakfast is really good with a lot of fresh fruits and a good service.
In the evening, you can find some places around to have a drink or a dinner in a mostly safe environment.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Good hotel for business. Room fine with good amenities. Nice and big, massive bed. Only downside was the room faced the main road, so traffic all night which kept me awake. However it is very close to the centre so will stay again accompanied by ear plugs.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I enjoyed the city tour and the service from the guide (called Denis G), An excellent program by visiting theatre, monument, Kathedral, Old town, Asian town, also special visit to famous food market.
If you like art, ask him to bring you to place called Villa of Magdalena, beautiful graphic and excellent painting. A lot of innovation program to choose..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo