“This is all you will need in São Paulo”

L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo
Ranked #9 of 321 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“This is all you will need in São Paulo”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Being São Paulo a city oriented towards business, there are several options for Hotels here. The 5 star hotels, however, are all on the expensive side, especially on week days. Being a carioca myself, I had my share of São Paulo business trips and found at L'Hotel the best option. Attentive and professional service, nice rooms, a very good breakfast and a decent restaurant. All of this for a fair price (which is more than I can say for other 5 star hotels in São Paulo). Central location is perfect for business and they have good promotions if you wish to spend the weekend (São Paulo, with its restaurants and museums, is a good place to be for tourism as well, especially on weekends or holydays when you don't have the annoying traffic and everything is less crowded).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RBerba
JCastelo, General Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is true that Sao Paulo became a great option for weekends and holidays, and with our location, half block from Paulista Avenue, we are sure every guest will have easy and comfortable access to the best sites in the city. We look forward to welcome you back soon. Your sincerely, Jorge Castelo – General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

It's very difficult to find a decent and affordable hotel in Sao Paulo. I was on a business trip and this hotel has exceeded my expectations. The staff were very good, service was great and the hotel restaurant was good too. There is only one disappointment though - the bathroom toilet does not flush properly and the shower tub, the drainage wasn't so good. But overall, it was a good experience. I will stay there again if the price is right.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at L’Hotel Porto Bay. I apologize for the inconvenience you had at the bathroom, we are taking actions immediately to solve this issue. We are glad that you enjoyed our staff and service. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me at jorgecastelo@portobay.com.br. Yours sincerely, Jorge Castelo – General Manager.
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 days for R&R following a business trip (at another hotel in the city). I would recommend this hotel based purely on the high quality of service. From the front desk to the restaurant, every member of the staff was courteous and extremely helpful. In 20 years of travel have never encountered a better hotel staff.
The hotel is quiet nice for the price... a clean room with tile bath and oversize rainshower head, and a comfortable bed. The spa while compact has most everything necessary for exercise and relaxation including a small wading pool and hot tubs. the fitness center was just updated with 2 treadmills and a bike. As for the restaurant, the breakfast was excellent.
The location is ideal, half a block off Paulista ave. and near a metro stop. There's also a very nice cafe around the corner with a wide selection of fresh pastries.

Room Tip: Am a light sleeper so typically prefer offstreet rooms. My room was particularly quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank globalsurferSC
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
We are so glad with your kind comment regarding our hotel and staff. As you noticed, we are improving our fitness center, and until the end of July, everything will be done. We look forward to welcome you back soon. Yours sincerely, Jorge Castelo - General Manager.
Brussels
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed here for one night during a business trip and can only echo the other reviews: very friendly staff, great breakfast, excellent beds.My room was very reasonably spacious, everything is well maintained even though nothing appears to have been modernized in a quite a while.

My fellow female travellers will appreciate: a really good hairdryer, good make-up mirror and uni-sex toiletries.

Over the past years I have failed to come up with better alternatives in Sao Paulo (excluding the two very high-end hotels) so might stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BlueDolphinBrussels
Thank you so much for your nice review regarding our hotel, especially those items which will be good for female travelers. If you have any suggestion, do not hesitate to contact me by the email jorgecastelo@portobay.com.br. We hope to see you soon. Yours sincerely, Jorge Castelo - General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights after a long business trip, treating myself to an airmiles upgrade on my usual 3/4 Star accomodation. Frankly I came away disappointed.

THE GOOD:
- One of the most comfortable beds I have slept in in a long time - I wish I could have walked away with the wonderful cotton sheets!
- Powerful shower (but see below)
- Fancy lobby
- Bread rolls at breakfast were outstanding, as were the proper (not mush) scrambled eggs

THE LESS GOOD:
- There seemed to be a problem with maintenance. I expected better in a 5-Star
- My television didn't work. After 30 minutes of trying, late into my first night, I asked them to give up. Hotel offered a change of room but frankly by then I had unpacked and just needed to sleep
- The shower was wonderfully powerful, but the drains weren't up to it and the bathroom floor flooded

- Poor room design for a business trip
- Small desk
- No power socket at desk
- one of those annoying wifi networks that you have to keep logging on to via a web browser (fine on a desktop, but irritating on an iPhone)

- Seemed nearly empty
I can't really blame the hotel for this at a weekend, but given the previous comments about work facilities it didn't seem as if the hotel was set up for business guests either. I never saw anybody using the bar or common areas.

Room Tip: Room 14 misses a view, but is one of only 3 that has an outside terrrace
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DeeBee67
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
I would like to thank for your detailed review, this is really important information for our improvement. Unfortunately we are not having positive answer from the cable television company, so we are looking to change it. Also, you have stayed in one of our six new guest rooms, and your topics will be considered. If you come back to Sao Paulo, please do not hesitate to contact me by the email jorgecastelo@portobay.com.br, I can guarantee your stay will be much more pleasant than the last one. Yours sincerely, Jorge Castelo - General Manager.
Fort Worth
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed in the hotel over a long weekend on my way to business elsewhere in Brazil. Porto Bay is a very nice upscale hotel with all the usual high level amenities. Staff was very attentive to our needs and very, very friendly. The reception desk people spoke excellent English and the rest of the staff could get by. Since the hotel was not full, they let us check in upon arrival in the early morning which was great after the overnight flight. Shortly after arriving we received a complimentary tray of fruit and chocolates which was a nice touch.We stayed in one of the small suites which was formerly two single rooms. The bathrooms were small but having His & Her bathrooms more than made up for that! Rooms are very comfortable, hotel is impressively elegant and it is obvious that they are much experienced in catering to those travelers who expect the best. The only complaint we had at all was that the wireless connection was extremely poor with disconnections every few minutes. Porto Bay is not inexpensive but I would have no hesitation at all to stay there again or recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jim M
Thank you so much for your kind review regarding your stay with us. It is good to see that your enjoyed our staff and amenities. I apologize for the inconvenience you had with our internet connection, it was caused by some inconstancy but with some improvement we had this month, our free internet connection is working much better. We look forward to welcome you back again. Yours sincerely, Jorge Castelo - General Manager.
London
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed here at the end of May 2012 and overall the experience was fine though the price is expensive by non-Brazilian standards. The location is great for access to Avenida Paulista and for getting pretty much anywhere in metropolitan Sao Paulo.

The staff were very friendly and helpful though the housekeeping was a little inconsistent - shampoos and soaps were often not replaced with new.

The rooms are not really to my taste as I like modern clean design but the private patio attached to my room on the 1st floor was a great addition.

The hotel provides free wifi but it was so slow that it wasn't really a benefit. I also would have liked some coffee making facilities in the room but these weren't made available.

My major gripe was that the hotel do not provide any ironing facilities for guests to use. Given the hotel is used by business people I feel that this is unfair as the only choice you have is to use the hotel's pressing/laundry service, which is expensive and slow. Express service costs 100% more than the standard service and only gets your pressed shirts back by 8pm the same day, though they did manage to iron a shirt for me in 60 minutes when I phoned them panicking. The standard service is almost a 36 hour turnaround so you are pretty much stuck with the express service.

Breakfast is good and the bar was well stocked and well managed though dead on the 2 times i ventured in.

If you don't need to use an iron or want to have coffee in your room then the review would be a 4 out of 5 but for my needs these things are important hence the 3 out of 5 rating.

Room Tip: Choose one on the 1st floor and request a patio
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank timothymarkwebb
I would like to thank you for your review and for complimenting our staff. I apologize for the inconvenience you had, but we took your suggestion and since July we have ironing facilities available to our guests, free of charge. If you have any other suggestion, I kindly ask you to get in touch with me by the email jorgecastelo@portobay.com.br, it will be really important to our improvement. Yours sincerely, Jorge Castelo - General Manager.