L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo
Melia Jardim Europa(Sao Paulo)
$155
Maksoud Plaza(Sao Paulo)
$131
$123
  • Breakfast included
Tryp Sao Paulo Nacoes Unidas Hotel(Sao Paulo)
$65
$61
Melia.com
$195
  • Pool
$52
Ibis Sao Paulo Morumbi(Sao Paulo)(Great Value!)
$64
  • Restaurant
$61
  • Free Internet
Landmark Residence(Sao Paulo)(Great Value!)
$76
  • Breakfast included
Prodigy Berrini by GJP(Sao Paulo)(Great Value!)
$69
Travelocity
1,078 results
All reviewsavenida paulistaretractable roofboutique hotellittle touchesspa areaexcellent hoteltop floorexcellent breakfastbreakfast roomreception stafflocation is greatsafe areaofurobrazilpaulobusinesstubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Due to my business travel, over the last few years I've had opportunity to stay at several of the other top hotels in SP, and though I already had heard good things about the L' Hotel since before it was taken over by Porto Bay chain, this was the first chance I had to check it out... and was not disappointed!

The pros:
1) It is a small hotel. Personally I prefer it that way because in a big, chain hotel one is usually only a number unless one is a VIP, and that I certainly am not.

2) The accommodations are a fair size for Brazil: enough space for a king bed, an upholstered armchair and a small desk, without seeming crowded. Nice bathroom with excellent amenities (L'Occitane toiletries)

3) The breakfeast buffet really is something of an experience: not only are high quality items used, but the variety is very good, to the point of serving some items not normally, even at other top hotels, such as smoked salmon, bressalora and some exotic fresh fruits.

4) We had the opportunity of dinning at the hotel's restaurant, 'Trebianno' and although it might not be one of the 'Top 10' in SP (São Paulo has way too many options) it has interesting options on the menu, the food we had was very above average. Also, the restaurant has some very interesting wine options, without an excessive surcharge.

5) Location, location, location: The Hotel is very well located for São Paulo, whether one is there for business or pleasure, whether with car or depending walking/subway.

6) The "We try harder bit":
a lot of small services, which at many other top hotels are expensively overcharged (internet access, parking, etc) to my surprise, where included in my basic hotel rate. For example, in my room, my free wi-fi access was averaging 4Mb. I've been to some places that have charged me $30 for 1/4 of that speed.

7) I am fluent in english and portuguese, so I did not personally interact with the staff, but I did have the opportunity to see the reception staff do a decent job with their english, and even more surprisingly, I observed the waiter at the hotel's restaurant exhibit a very adequate english with a group at another table.

The cons:
Really can't find any, but to really be nitpicking (as a suggestion):
1) the rooms could have more electrical outlets or a power-strip. Notebook, Ipad, Iphone, etc can quickly add up to a lot of plugs
2) I would enjoy seeing a great baguette on the breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: all are =, but rooms facing backwards are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wpgesser
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Thank you so much for such kind comment regarding L’Hotel Porto Bay. It is a pleasure hearing so many good things about us, and your suggestions are really interesting and will be available soon. We look forward to welcome you back. With kind regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.

Reviewed July 1, 2011

If you want a 5 star hotel in this area stay at the Emiliano or Fasano.This is a 3 star experience
Facilities
The bedrooms are a reasonable size but are very drab and nondescript
The lobby and all public areas are are better but still very dark and uninviting
The gym is a joke,it is fill of old equipment and is shabby.
The plugs in all the room are different so ensure you take a multiplug.
The lifts are slow.
There never seems to be a concierge available.
Sounds of running water from system all night.
Poor sound insulation,you could hear a lot of outside noise
The service in the restaurant was very slow at lunchtime,it took more than 1 hour before we got our second courese and the food was served at uneven times.

Service Policies and Charging
Pressing clothing They have no in house laundry so they send out your clothes.To get your clothes back the same day(even if you put in early morning) you must pay double,more than BRL 30 for a pair of trousers.They offer no iron or ironing board.
Early Check in : even though they had availability when my colleague arrived at 8 am ,they charged him a half day rate to check in early.
My other colleage made 23 secomd phonecall and was charged BRL 15.

Plus points
Good breakfast
Free Internet
Reasonable food in restaurant
Polite staff,especially the lady who opened the bar so we could have a private meeting.
Great blackout curtains

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank markwlugano
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

I agree with most reviews, especially those with truly information. When we have disappointed guests, we work hard to show how they are important to us, as can be verified on the review “The importance of second chances”. Unfortunately this review is not this case, with false information from a supposed guest. I apologize for TripAdvisor users and our guests by seem this false information. Jorge Castelo, Operations Manager.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

It's really good the hotel and the restaurant fist class the food was fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank zoiaeu
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

Thank you so much for you nice review about L’Hotel Porto Bay and Trebbiano Restaurant. We launched a new menu with great options inspired on the Mediterranean cuisine, and I hope you can try and enjoy. Best regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.

Reviewed June 19, 2011

I'm rather surprised that L'Hotel is rated #1 hotel in Sao Paolo as my experience here had not been that great. First, the staff do not seem to understand English very well, so we had problems communicating our needs. Second, the rooms and bathroom are very small, though there's a nice touch as they provide Havaianas slippers for our use. Third, the restaurant is extremely pricey for the quality of the food served and they actually charge 12 reals for 3 small pieces of bread and spread (first time I was charged for bread in South America). But what upsets me the most is that when we returned to our room to check-out (10 minutes before check-out time), we found the door open, the cleaner had obviously decided to ignore the "Do Not Disturb" sign and do some cleaning up and then went out leaving our door open while our luggage are still in the room. This shows an obvious disrespect for hotel guests. The only good thing I enjoyed was the wonderful service during breakfast and the spread, as well as the convenient location where a shopping centre is just 10 minutes away.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Zipometer
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2011

I sincerely apologize for all inconveniences you had staying with us. I appreciated that you enjoyed our Havaianas and breakfast, and I have to explain that charging for the couvert is common in most countries – I guarantee that in Sao Paulo is usually much more expensive than us. About the “Do Not Disturb” sign, you are completely right, the cleaner should not enter in the room. Unfortunately, people make mistakes, and we are at top 3 on TripAdvisor not because we do not make mistakes, but because we do care with our guests, so I kindly ask you to stay with us on your next trip to Sao Paulo, you will feel welcomed and will receive the best we can offer: personalized and cozy services. Do not hesitate to contact me on jorgecastelo@portobay.com.br, and I hope to welcome you back for a second chance. Kind regards, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.

Reviewed June 1, 2011

It is a great hotel with a prime service and very good accommodations. Go with your child together without any problems. The staff knows how to please kids. Furthermore I recommend the restaurant. God trip!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MPadoin
JCastelo, Manager at L'Hotel PortoBay Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Thank you so much for your nice comment. Despite being a city hotel, we are prepared to welcome kids, as they will need nice entertainment during their stay to do not get bored. Looking forward to welcome you and your kids back, Jorge Castelo – Operations Manager.