“Terrible service”

Ranked #27 of 321 Hotels in Sao Paulo
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible service”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is really let down by it's service. First, the transfer booked from the airport failed to show up and then when you try to call down to reception or the concierge for anything they either don't answer or do and immediately put you on hold and never come back to you (I was travelling in a large group and this happened to everyone I spoke to who had tried to contact them).

The rooms themselves are fine but pretty tired. Breakfast is great - the omelette man in particular.

The hotel is also pretty secure as your room key only let's you get on to the floor that you room is on so access to each floor is restricted.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Marc B, Gerente geral at Golden Tulip Paulista Plaza, responded to this review, August 8, 2016
Dear Guest,
First of all , I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel and say it was a pleasure to welcome you . Even with the time passed since been with us for the first time for us is extremely important to know the experiences that our guests and clients have with us, I hope you have returned to our hotel after your first hosting but anyway , I would like to say on behalf of our staff That It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel When there is an opportunity for you to attest some the improvements .
It will always be a pleasure to welcome you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Beijing, China
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Golden Tulip Paulista; an adequate hotel.

Pros
- Location

Cons
- Noise (fridge, surrounding rooms, incoming aircraft)
- Furniture cleanliness (sofa, desk chairs)
- Bathroom size
- Lack of iron / ironing board

Having read other reviews of the Golden Tulip Paulista, I was expecting a bad hotel experience. But fortunately I found a hotel that was... adequate. Not great - really not even good - but adequate. The hotel is clean-ish but somewhat run down - it looks like an 80s hotel that hasn't been through a lot of renovation since its opening. Not really bad, but not quite good either; adequate.

The room (10th floor) was quite small with the bare minimum furnishing; a bed, a sofa, a desk, a TV table and a few small bed side tables. It had a small kitchenette-type area behind a low partition wall and a very small bathroom with bath tub. It was clean but the cheap furniture (sofa and chairs) could use a thorough cleaning - all in all, quite adequate.

The kitchenette part was a mystery to me as it didn't contain anything useful (like plates, utensils, glasses); it was just a sink and an old and very loud mini fridge. The bathroom was almost airplane size; everything was cramped. Interestingly, neither the room nor the hotel has an iron/ironing board so anything in need of ironing needs to be sent for laundry(!). But apart from that, the living area was... adequate.

The noise has been covered in several reviews, I was quite badly jet lagged so I wasn't really bothered by it. But the hotel does have thin walls so hearing doors banging and toilets flushing was part of my experience. Traffic noise wasn't a problem on the 10th floor but the hotel seems to be located just under the flight approach for the airport so some noise came from that. All in all, not a great choice if you're sensitive to sounds.

Hotel facilities are also adequate; adequate gym, adequately sized (non-heated) pool with (I guess) an adequate amount of sun. Breakfast was adequate; good selection of bread but quite limited beyond that. Egg station with a chef that during my visit seemed slightly multi-tasking challenged, so be prepared to wait during peak hours. The lobby has a cafe that made me a few slightly overpriced but generally adequate coffees (you're better off going to one of the cafes on Avenida Paulista).

The service, finally, is also adequate - don't expect the professionally trained staff of an international hotel chain, but the staff speak English and respond to questions and requests with adequate politeness.

So if you're looking for a room (period) in this area, this could be an adequate option.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Marc B, Gerente geral at Golden Tulip Paulista Plaza, responded to this review, July 27, 2016
Dear Guest,
First of all , I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel and say it was a pleasure to welcome you . Even with the time passed since been with us for the first time for us is extremely important to know the experiences that our guests and clients have with us. We apologize your stay was not so pleasant , as we are used to providing to our guests. Be sure that all the points raised were treated in order to correct and adjust our operation. I would like to say That It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel When there is an opportunity for you to attest some the improvements .
Saint-Raphael, France
Reviewed August 31, 2012

eveything is perfect, big rooms with a little kitchen and a balcony, french restaurant and very good food.
beautiful big swimming pool and a fitness center with many apparels.
Nice view from the top of the hotel at the 34th floor.
Good cocktails at the bar but alittle bit expensive. My advice for dinner at the exit make a right turn and you have a little restaurant at the corner which is great, it s the swissair place you can meet there pilots stewards and flight attendant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
First , I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel and say it was a pleasure to welcome you . Even with the time passed since been with us for the first time for us is extremely important to know the experiences that our guests and clients have with us, I hope you have returned to our hotel after your first hosting but anyway , I would like to say on behalf of our staff That It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel When there is an opportunity for you to attest some the improvements .
Lima, Peru
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I really enjoyed the service in this hotel. I stayed three days and it was really a pleasure... It's close to Avenida Paulista and near Parque do Ibirapuera (a must if you visit Sao Paulo). As Sao Paulo is a big city, you can take the subway to World Trade Center or Mercado Municipal. The public transport is cheap and efficient.

As a previous reviewer said, the hotel charge an extra amount if you arrive early, but it's not a big deal as the room price is moderate. Oh... The hotel room was very comfortable with an amazing view of the city. I stayed in one of the highest floors. There is also a helicopter landing place so you can avoid being stuck in traffic... travelling by helicopter!!

Room Tip: Higher floors are the best!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night when I visited Sao Paulo for business. The staff at the reception was helpful and kind. The room was big and comfortable. The furnitures were not so modern but in good condition. The only problem I noticed was the walls being too thin. Sounds coming from the hallway and neighbour rooms kept me awake until very late. There was a continental breakfast but not the best of it.

Sao Paulo is a huge city and there are many hotel around. However, most of them are very expensive. You can stay in this hotel if you want to pay less than the splurge hotels but still stay in the city center.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Genova
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I spent one night in this Hotel, which is very well located in the heart of Sao Paulo.
The Hotel is decent, with acceptable rooms, a good and friendly service and with a very good quality/price ratio. If you stay here during a warm day, you will surely enjoy a nice swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My flight arrived at 5 am, so I was at the hotel around 7:30am. Although my room was ready and available, they wouldn't let me in before 2 pm, the usual check-in time. The only way I could get access to the room (and get a shower), was to pay... an extra night! After some discussions, we agreed on half the rate. After a 12 hour flight and having to go meet some customers, I simply needed a shower. Very bad customer service, entirely to blame on the hotel management.

The rooms are large and confortable, but the doors are too thin, so there is noise from the halls. The location of the hotel is good, but the service below par: the staff speaks only very little English.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business