“good but far away from downtown..”

Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera
Ranked #42 of 327 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The room was one of the biggest I have ever stayed. The room was at upfloor and quiet. The bathroom was big .The bed was very comfortable to sleep well. The breakfast was pretty good and there are many selections. There are two negative things about the hotel.One of them is far away from downtown. You must take a cab wherever you want. If you do not mind it it's ok but if you do ,choose another hotel .The other one is if you want to use the internet at the business center you are charged!!! Everyone do not have to have a laptop or iphone..İt is not fair for the Mercury standarts hotel.Finally the room,bed,breakfast are good.The location and internet are bad..

4  Thank Tolga D
Alejandro G, General Manager at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your impressions with the other travelers of Trip Advisor.
We are truly concerned about your comments.

It is important to comment that, because of the hotel location we have been much commended: we are pretty close by the Ibirapuera Park and with easy access to the downtown or the domestic Airport. Also close from Paulista Avenue, good restaurants, shopping malls, etc.

We appreciate your highlight for some of our services: Breakfast Restaurant, Rooms, and all our Mercure Grand staff attitudes.

Thank you once again for your remarks, and we hope to see you soon during your next visits to São Paulo city.

Alejandro Geis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,386)

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here for a conference for a few nights.

Location: Close to Ibirapuera park. Good for running. You need a taxi for everything, but this is Sao Paulo.

Room: Standard 3* hotel rooms, nothing special

Breakfast: Many fruits, good selection, standard service

Check in and out: Standard, but ok

Hotel bar: Very good coffee, nice service

Internet: Wifi, fast and reliable

Overall: Standard hotel, nothing special.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Alejandro G, General Manager at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to let us know about your experience with us.

Mercure Grand Hotel it will be ferbubish in the end of this year but we also care very much about our clients’ expectations and service.

Moreover, we thank you very much for your highlights regarding our service and breakfast! Make sure this important comment will be shared to our Staff.

We really hope that we can welcome you back very soon for a return visit! It is always great to hear constructive feedback from our valuable guests.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Within the Accor chain, the Novotel is placed two notches above the Ibis. In the real world, that's hardly the case. Having stayed many times at the (good value) budget Ibis hotels, it seemed to me a good idea to take the family to what it was described as a more comfortable and elegant option. As it turned out, there are many flaws at this hotel, not to be compensated by more comfort in the rooms, as compared to Ibis. The hotel premises are old and decaying and the quality of service follows closely.
We stayed in a two bedroom apartment (802), with a living area and only one bathroom. The furniture was scarce, the bedrooms had only the beds in them and the living area had three chairs for four people checked in. When I asked for another chair, front desk said it was the standard of Novotel to have three chairs in each apartment, regardless of the number of guests! We also had to ask for suplementary toiletries, since there was only one shampoo - but those items we managed to receive. But then again, beverages in the refrigerator were never replenished...
We had to call maintenance several times: upon arrival, the TV in the second bedroom wouldn't turn on; on the first night, the air conditioning leaked a pool of water on the floor; the lamp on the living room table wouldn't turn on - and it took the maintenance guy two visits to the room to finally fix it. To be honest, they fixed all the problems, but the real question is whether those things should happen, given the prices Novotel charges for their small rooms.
But the real hassle comes when you try to get any information from front desk. We were in town for the auto show, which took place at Anhembi - the largest convention center in Sao Paulo. But front desk wasn't able to tell us the best route to get there! The guy said he was not familiar with driving there! Also, when we asked suggestions for a pizza restaurant, front desk was only able to direct us to a single place close to the hotel which is not listed in any site of best pizzerias. We did mention other names that we have heard of and asked their opinion but the guy said he was not familiar with pizza places. Hey this is Sao Paulo, the land of italian immigrants!
In short, stay away from this Novotel; it's outdated, rooms are small and ill equipped, and with badly trained employees.

Room Tip: Best rooms seem to be in the adjacent Mercure hotel ...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My stay at Mercure Grand Hotel was wonderful. This is as great hotel and the staff are very friendly. The hotel has a pretty nice decor, with a perfect boulangerie, one of the best In the world with fresh baked pastries and a delicious mille feuille. The breakfast was perfect also the service. The room was clean and pretty big. For sure I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room with Ibirapuera Park view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Alejandro G, General Manager at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Mylene,

Thank you for your most recent review! We really appreciate the comments about Mercure Grand Hotel Parque Ibirapuera!

We absolutely care about all our guest’s concerns; that’s why we dedicate our efforts to answer each guest survey in a personalized way. In fact, not only answering it, but primarily acting with a continuous quality system.

We definitely look forward to your return visit to take advantage of more of the Mercure Grand Hotel São Paulo Ibirapuera services.

Cordailly,

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Well, as a Le Club Platinum member and familiar with Novotel standards around the world all can I say is: It´s not a Novotel!

Old building, outdated furniture and general decoration.

I checked in and I was sent to a smoking room and I´m not a smoker and nobody asked about it. Problem no 1
No dedicated check-in counter for Le Club Platinum members. Problem no 2
Extremely noisy room facing the avenue, even with the windows closed. Problem no 3
Noisy frigobar, I had to shut it down from power to sleep. Problem no 4
Outrageously expensive frigobar items.Problem no 5 (cross the avenue and take some items fresh and cheaper at the convenience store at the gas station)
No menu for Room service, I had to call to receive it. it should be there. Problem no 6 (the burger I asked arrived fast, was good but US$ 15 for a single burger)
At checkout the employee didn´t want to give me the invoice of my extra expenses. I had to explain him that it´s mandatory to my company to reimburse me.
He didn´t like it and after being firm with him he finally decided to take my email address to send the invoice later. He wanted to send it to the travel
agency which my company works with. He didn´t understand that I was asking for invoice of the extra expenses which I paid with my personal credit card. I felt he was lazy to just input my email address. Problem no 7

And, after all, nothing, absolutely nothing explains the ridiculous price they charge. Around US$ 250/day/person, breakfast US$ 20/day/person. I´m a local citizen, trust me, this hotel stays in the middle of a residential area, in the most jammed traffic regions in São Paulo, with absolutley nothing (I mean it) to do or to see in a walking distance. No bars, restaurants, mall, stores, pubs, bakery, pharmacy nothing! If you don´t have a car you´ll have to deal with the known unreliable taxi drivers of São Paulo, or expect to pay around US$ 50 a day for the parking.

If you´re travelling form overseas and don´t know the neighbourhood, forget this property. for this price you can find very much better options in São Paulo.
And trust me, due the heavy traffic, it´s NOT close to Congonhas Airport (CGH).

The only good thing I experienced was the free wireless internet in all areas (very reliable and fast, liked it)

Don´t be fool thinking it´s a Novotel like any other. This couldn´t be even considered an Ibis one.
I´ve been in Novotel New York Times Square 3 weeks ago and was very much better and cheaper than this.

If you have to stay in the neighbourhood, try the Mercure Ibirapuera, just beside.

The building seems to be 20 yrs old and ver saw a single renovation!

My complains to Accor headquarters in France will be the next.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the building. The avenue in front of it is noisy day and night!
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have mixed emotions about my stay at this hotel. The hotel is next to a major highway into the city and it was noisy during peak hour traffic, which seems all day long. On the other hand, the guys at reception were very nice and helpful, with the one guy speaking very good US English. Some of the other guys were able to help in very poor English, but help they did ...
What I liked is the fact that the hotel is close to Ibirapeura Park, by taking a 15 minute walk and I enjoyed that very much. There are nice meseums to see, eg. Modern Art Museum, AfroBrazil Museum or just taking a stroll in the park with the thousand of Brazilians there over a weekend.
My room had no kettle and hot beverages, but there is a bar fridge filled with cold drinks and beers. The breakfast is average and beacon and eggs are served. They like pastries for breakfast and some nice sweet treats are available as well. There is taxi always ready to take you the closest Mall, just ask reception.
Maybe I will come back next time, I'm not sure yet ...

Room Tip: rooms at the back if you don't like noise
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank vsomerset
Reviewed October 21, 2012

For business travelers already familiar with the city of Sao Paulo I say that this is a good hotel well located, i.e. in a quiet location. For those who still want to explore the city I do not recommend neither this hotel nor any other in the same region. Better to stay in "Jardins".
In the same building until 2010 there was a Sofitel which became Grand Mercure. Thus, the rooms are more comfortable than the average at Mercure's hotels. The refinements, accessories, and well-trained staff of Sofitel are gone, but the facilities not yet reconfigured correctly are comfortable.
Foreigners, I recommend not to compare with prices paid in other countries. Like almost everything in Sao Paulo, the prices of daily meals and services are high comparing to international standards, like everything in SP, without the same quality.

The breakfast and restaurants are quite reasonable (again, ignore the price ...).
The new staff has visibly not the same old team experience but is caring and strives to offer the best.
To summarize, it is a good alternative for the price charged (in SP ...)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Alejandro G, General Manager at Grand Mercure Sao Paulo Ibirapuera, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Mr. Ribeiro Neto,

As a frequent contributor, we can see you have the opportunity to experience many stays in many different hotels. We are truly concerned about your comment.