“Not worth the money at all!”

Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista
Ranked #24 of 321 Hotels in Sao Paulo
New York City, New York
“Not worth the money at all!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I can only advice you to spend a bit more and this way you are sure to be somewhere worth it! This city is not cheap at all, so if you need to spend it well better do it to something you are sure youbwill like! Where to start: I was put up by my company in this hotel, so it was not my choice.

EVERYTHING is dated: the rooms are all of a brown decor , way passed this time. It all looks very worn out and used. The bathroom: 3 types of lightbulbs which make it a bit strange when looking in the mirror. The bathtub doesnot not look clean at all as there are cracks and stains everywhere. The knobs from the faucets sqeek and crack when turned on.
The tv should have loads of channels, but few work ( maintenance couldnot fix it)
The safe - once locked- could not be opened again (aga in maintenance had to open it again)
The airconditioning makes the equivelant noise of a 747 taking off...
The rooms are very noisy too:(no joke) i could hear my neigbors doing their business in the bathroom.
Windows are not doubled: you hear the traffic day and night, people on the streets and music! So bring you earplugs!
La st but not least: they are doing some refurbishing as well: so lots of banging and the housekeepingstaff reallynenjoys screaming tomeach other from room to room.

It is NOT a room / hotel that welcomes you at all or invites you to stay in ...

The staff is not the friendliest I have encountered during my travels. Many of them ( except the front desk).
Breakfast is very basic... For someone who cannot eat gluten, well there is a minimal choice.

So again not worth at all

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank terrencets
, Gerente at Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista, responded to this review, October 2, 2016

How are you?

I am the new manager of the hotel! It was a huge pleasure to welcome you to Golden Tulip São Paulo Paulista, the old Belas Artes.

I am reading all the comments posted so we can keep what is good and improve what needs to be better.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this exchange with our guests is essential for us!

I would like to invite you to return soon, It will be a huge pleasure to welcome you again. In case of any need, do not hesitate to contact me.

Operations manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Lone Tree, CO
Reviewed March 23, 2013

If one is looking for a CHEAP hotel in Sao Paolo, you are in luck. This hotel is cheap in every sense of the word and is the quintessential argument against taking chances on unfamiliar boutique hotel properties when on a business trip. Where do I start? Firstly, visuals in advertisements and hotel website do not (may I repeat... DO NOT) reflect actual conditions in this hotel. Elevators are slow and dated. Corridors are dark. Wood veneered floor in my room is peeling. Bathroom walls, tub, bidet and toilet have seen better years. While the location is only a block from Avenida Paulista , Frei Caneca, the street where this hotel is located is dark at night. Walking alone to the hotel after dusk can be very dangerous. Homeless characters roam and homeless people are often seen relieving themselves in the the shadows. Unreliable internet access (at extra charge) only allows a single devise per room. With business travel requiring at least 2 devises (computer and smart phone), clearly, this hotel is the wrong choice for those of us who travel for work. Front office folks say the right things. But that is where it ends. Service is almost none existent. Oh... I have one positive thing to say. Buffet breakfast (with cook to order omelets) comes with the room. Overall, the The Golden Tulip Belas Artes offers very low quality cheap hotel experience with somewhat good breakfast. Definitely, this property should not be considered when traveling on business.

2 Thank AlinDenver

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel whilst on a business trip to Sao Paulo.

Given the high prices of hotels in this city I would say this hotel is reasonable value for money. I noticed that the majority of guest seemed to be tourists rather than business people suggesting that this hotel does a lot of discount packages.

The hotel is situated is an area that looks a bit run down, even though only 2-3 minutes walk from Avenue Paulista (one of the main thoroughfares in SP). I felt ok walking around at night by the hotel but only just.

My room was spacious and clean. However despite the large room size the desk was ridicuously small and made it hard for me to work. Well appointed bath room with seperate walk in shower . The water pressure in the shower was fantastic. The bath was also a jacuzzi but I didn't try it. Bed was quite comfortable and large (Super king). The air-con was a bit noisy but effective.

The room faced the back gaden of the hotel....not much of a view and the windows were quite small.

Like a lot of hotel rooms there was no enough light, both natural and artificial. The cupboards were spacious but old and the drawers hard to use. Seems like this hotel is not in the habit of checking the rooms regularly to ensure everything works.

Internet in the room and public areas was satisfactory. I asked for multiple devices which was provided FoC although I overheard other guests complaining about this. The internet service seemed to work most of the time at decent speed and was reasonably priced.

Breakfast was a disappointment (buffet). Decent selection of fresh fruits but the rest of food just didn't taste good. You couldn't get a latte...just filter type coffee.

Didn't have room service or dinner in the hotel. Seemed pricey and based on breakfast I guessed was going to be pretty ordinary. I took a recommendation from the concierge for dinner at a local restaurant which was simply appalling!

I had some laundry done at a ridiculous price. Standard service was next day...you needed to pay 50% extra form same night or 100% extra for express service. A total rip-off. I opted for the same night service and the laundry was returned after just 2 hours! Maybe I should feel I got a discount on the express service!

I didn't get the time to use the gym or indoor pool so no comment on these.

So net net...it was ok but this hotel at the price they charge could, and should, do better.

1 Thank Jgordon1

Atlanta
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the hotel in March 2013 for one night and it is a hotel with rather large rooms, comfortable beds, good working airconditioning. However the rooms are dated in regard of the furniture and the bath looks 70ties style. The internet connection and the new flat screen 48 inch TV worked however fine.
The style of the hotel is a bit blunt, very few decorations - specifically the lobby is rather cold in appearance. The restaurant was clean, comparatively small versus other ameneties and service was up to the middle class standard one would anticipate however a bit on the slow side, breakfast - oh well a bit scarce in choices.
All in all a hotel close to Rua Paulista, with a worthwihle 'middle class' shopping center in walking distance (3 minutes) and addecent selection of typical local stores around the block, Seems not to be very secure at night, when walking in the "wrong' direction - use discretion!
Pan handlers are crossing your path in Sao Paulo often, so don't get upset, but don't take out your cash either ...

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Depressing hotel, dark, insects and poor breakfast, never again, also the neigbourhood is very depressing. The airco in the room makes noise and is not cooling properly!during the day noise from renovating the hotel. Do not open the curtains you get anxious to jump

1 Thank Jantjes

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Clean and tidy modern Hotel with basic luxury rooms and a big bathtub. small Hotel room windows. And a good working AC unit on suite. Nice breakfast with plenty of fresh fruits and warm dishes. The Hotel is really situated in the middle of the trendy and pretty safe hood in-between Paulista and Augusta neighbourhood. Close to Metro stations. Several service available at front desk where a professional and helpfull staff helped with most common questions. If you are looking for a good stay this Hotel sure should be concideret. It is as well crew Hotel of KLM

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just completed another stay here, I have stayed here previously. The hotel has nice large rooms and good air conditioning. The bathroom is large, but this time around it was in need of updating (or a good scrubbing) - black splotches in the grout and the combo shower/bathtub jacuzzi jets had paint peeling off of them. The bed was comfortable and the included breakfast had a lot of variety for most people, but I am vegetarian so I was limited to fruit and cereal. Almost everything else was infused with meat.

The hotel is about a block away from Av Paulista, so a quick walk got you to offices, restaurants, shopping, the MASP museum, and much more. There were homeless people I often found sleeping on the sidewalk heading to Av Paulista, but this is something that seems to be prevalent throughout Sao Paulo now - and is obviously not something that the hotel can control.

One thing that upset me personally was when me and a business colleague checked in, there was a discrepancy in the rates we got. His rate was quite a bit lower than mine - although we both reserved from the Golden Tulip website directly and reserved the same room category. I had booked my room a couple of weeks before my colleauge did. When I asked about the difference, the check-in agent would not lower my rate, which left me with negative feelings as I consider if I will return or not on my next trip later this year.

But all in all, the hotel was comfortable and convenient - so for that reason I do recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business