“Loved the Location”

Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista
Ranked #22 of 326 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed at the Golden Tulip Belas Artes for 4 nights last week. Here's my synopsis...

1. First thing I noticed was the construction going on behind a false wall adjacent to the lobby. Lots of pounding during all hours of the night. Saw some friends in the lobby expressing their frustrations at 3am and front desk staff said that the construction would be going on all night. Luckily for me, I was on a high floor and couldn't hear the noise.

2. No hotel bar. I guess this is being rectified by the construction.

3. 7th floor rooms were not upgraded compared to friends who stayed on lower floors. Bathrooms were in dire need of a makeover

4. Window didn't close all the way, which allowed bugs to enter the room.

5. Breakfasts were great. Lots of assorted meats and cheeses, eggs, fruit and coffee. Great juice selection too.

6. Pool is sort of pointless. It is in an enclosed glass dome and gets superheated by the sun and the greenhouse effect of the glass surroundings.

7. Fitness center on the top floor is tiny, but does the trick.

8. Proximity to Paulista Avenue is this hotel's #1 selling point. It is a 5 minute walk to shops, museums, parks, etc.

9. There is a small convenience store just across the street. Here you can find beers, drinks and snacks to bring back to your room.

Overall, I suppose I would stay here again, but only if some of the other nice hotels in the vicinity were booked. Sao Paulo has an extreme shortage of hotel rooms, so it can be difficult to find a place in a pinch.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank dkauf

How are you?

I am the new manager of the hotel! It was a huge pleasure to welcome you to Golden Tulip São Paulo Paulista, the old Belas Artes.

I am reading all the comments posted so we can keep what is good and improve what needs to be better.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this exchange with our guests is essential for us!

I would like to invite you to return soon, It will be a huge pleasure to welcome you again. In case of any need, do not hesitate to contact me.

There are newer reviews for Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista

Reviewed March 20, 2012

This hotel is currently undergoing 24 HOUR CONSTRUCTION. That's right, the noise (hammering, drills, saws, etc) happens all night long! The AC also didn't work well and there was a roach and a spider the bathroom. Stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Susan G

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Couldn't ask for a more convenient location, one block from Paulista Ave and close to numerous restaurants and bars. We were given a "renovated room" which was nicely appointed and I very much appreciated the "blackout" curtains which blocked off all light into the room - much easier to sleep.

They were doing some construction while we were they but they didn't start until late morning so it wasn't much of an issue.

My biggest beef is with the stupid WiFi infrastructure. The free (slow) version didn't reach that far into the room (we were at the end of a hallway) and was a pain in the butt. There was a paid version but it wasn't worth the expense. When will hotels learn that WiFi is like electricity and water - just part of a basic set of utilities?

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 21, 2012

The hotel has a recently updated lobby, but the rooms are old and in a bad state. Very noisy air-conditioning and hard beds. The blankets are in the closet, but you better leave them there. They haven't been dry cleaned in years.
Bathroom has water coming out of the light fixtures in the ceiling.....

On the plus side, it is in a nice area of town, just off the Av. Paulista. But I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Seat_0A

Reviewed November 10, 2011

Very good hotel with big rooms and good service.
I arrived early and they gave me the room a couple hours before check in time.
The breakfast is very good with good cakes and fresh fruit.
The location is excellent, Rua Frei Caneca is a safe but lively area very close to Avenida Paulista. Great choice in San Paulo.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed October 22, 2011

In general I rate the service as bad. I had a CONFIRMED reservation. When I arrived I was informed that they didn´t have a room for me. I showed the reservation confirmation and they told me that a confirmed reservation is not a guarantee of stay... Yes, that is the ONLY hotel in the planet that a "confirmed" reservation is not a guarantee. To be honest, the hotel staff probably just messed things up with my reservation, but where unable to assume the mistake, and made up this shamefull excuse. Notice that other people have exactly the same problem with the hotel As a result I had to stay my first night in the same room with my working coleague. After a HORRIBLE night, I was transfered to a room in the 8th floor. The second room, just like the first room, was quite large to Brazilian standards (more or less the size of any good American Hotel). The whole of the 8th floor, however, smell REAL BAD (you can feel it as you leave the elevator). The door of my room was in really bad shape. The bathtube also is in bad shape. Location is good, if you have business in the Paulista Avenue (just one square away from Paulista Avenue). It is also quite close to Augusta Avenue, where you will find all kinds of bars, cafes, nightclubs... not all of them family oriented :). Notice also that Parking is paid and so is Wi-Fi Internet. In sum, I was not impressed with my stay at Golden Tulip.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TotemBulls

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Things started badly and did not improve. I arrived at 10am from a long haul trip and hoped to be able to get into a room; the receptionist told me the room was available but if I wanted it before 2pm I’d have to pay for another night. I don’t think any hotel anywhere has ever told me that they’ve got my room available but I can’t have it without paying extra. The room itself, whilst clean and very large, was quite dated and in need of a refresh; the walls and bathtub were stained, and sound insulation is poor so it is noisy despite not being on a main road. Unusually for Latin America there is a charge for wifi (R$15 per day); in theory you get 20 minutes per day free, but this did not actually work, and (judging from the login page which I couldn’t get beyond) the network is so slow as to be useless. On the plus side, breakfast is good. I hope to travel to Sao Paulo again but would not stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business