“Service not good”

Ranked #25 of 323 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Seoul, South Korea
“Service not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

I stayed 4 nights from March 16th and just returned two days ago. I checked in detail all the reviews in Trip Advisor and chose this hotel since it looked overall fine without any cheating or fraud record by hotel staffs. Also because there seemed to be no dispute record regarindg payment at this hotel vs. other hotels, since I was a little afraid on what if the hotel says the payment is not made yet while we have paid all already before checking-in. Since I have read such cases or confusions from reviews of other hotels in Sao Paulo and this Golden Tulip Hotel had not such risks at least, I chose this hotel and it was just overall ok, not good level though.

1. Front desk or operator never pick up phones from rooms : The phone numbers of operator and reception were 1,2 and 3 according to hotel guidebook placed at the room. Even though I called over several times to receptions, nobody pick up. Therefore, I had to go down myself several times and had to talk in person to reception. Finally I heard the phone number of reception desk is '250', which was never provided by the hotel guidebook at the room.

2. The man at reception desk was very rude. : Mostly staffs at reception desks were junior ladies and they were okay. There was one man when I checked out at night and he was so rude, not responding at all on any of my questions or request of small favors. He just looked at me, almost staring me, without any small motion to listen or to help. I asked him to provide confirmation of staying this hotels since I need this, finally he moved his mouth saying 'no', and he finally said ' you have to ask your agent' . I know I paid to the internet hotel agent up front, but hotel could generate confirmation on my staying. He simply said 'no' without any consideration, just with rudeness. When I handed back the room key to him saying 'good bye, still he was with no word at all and just with harsh looking. I know he could speak English and he seemed to be the only male who could speak in English at reception. But his attitude was very humiliating without knowing any reason. (Other female staffs at reception at day time were fine. The ladies were able to smile and could listen. )

3. Wireless Internet is free for 20 minutes per day : This could be okay at least compared to all charges on any internet use. However, to use 20 minutes free internet, I had to go to the reception and requested each time ID and Password to use one time 20 minutes free internet. While receptions are not answering any phone from rooms, this is the reaon I had to go down all the time to receive each day's ID and Password again and again. They should have arranged at least more convenient way of daily free 20 minutes use of internet than this.

4. Environment : within 50 ~ 100 meters, there is main street, Avenue Paulista'. However, from this hotel to this avenue, there is bus stop and there are some people living on the street, asking money when I walked there, making me feel unsafe about the street.

5. Room : Matress is very old, soudning noise on any motion. Water for shower is not strong and was not movable shower hand. Overall old furnitures, though which was okay.

5. Positive things : Room size is spacious. Still location is easy to move around in Sal Paulo.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sally2934
, Gerente at Golden Tulip Sao Paulo Paulista, responded to this review, October 2, 2016

How are you?

I am the new manager of the hotel! It was a huge pleasure to welcome you to Golden Tulip São Paulo Paulista, the old Belas Artes.

I am reading all the comments posted so we can keep what is good and improve what needs to be better.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this exchange with our guests is essential for us!

I would like to invite you to return soon, It will be a huge pleasure to welcome you again. In case of any need, do not hesitate to contact me.

Operations manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
new york city
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

I spent three nights at this hotel from March 3 until March 5. Arriving there everything seems really nice. The lobby was pretty and the reception desk were courteous. Unfortunately as soon as I arrived in my floor, it seemed that I was in a different hotel....The hallways are dark and the paint are old and peeling off. My room had a strange smell, the bed was ok but my bathroom was DIRTY and old unlike the lobby.....The tiles in the shower and tub area was black in the grout and some were cracked. The ceiling was stained with some sort of leaking.
The next day I had a visit from a friend of mine for a couple of hours. My friend was escorted to my room by an employee who asked me to sign a paper because my friend was coming in the room. I didn't think there was anything wrong until I see that they charged me around US$45 for having my friend coming visit me in my room. I complaint and they said that because I signed the paper there was nothing they could do and that visits should be no more than 10 minutes!!! Unbelievable! But they didn't disclose when my friend came, when they called in my room, and also when they brought my friend to my room.
To make things worst, I made a LOCAL call to my friend for around 30 minutes. They don't disclose their charges for calls but I figure that the internet was around US$10 for 24 hours my call shouldn't cost so much after all it was local. To my surprise they charged me US$71 !!!!! So if you are going to Sao Paulo avoid this hotel and any of this chain. If you want a better deal stay in the Mercure hotels.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ewrnnj772lr

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I stayed at this hotel twice (4 nights each time) over a two week period with a group. We had excellent service from the front desk staff, they were always courteous and friendly to all of us, and willing to offer recommendations for restaurants, clubs, and shopping in the area. The location near Paulista Avenue is ideal, and within easy walking distance of MASP, Trianon Park, metro stops, and shopping and restaurants. They have 20 minutes of free wi-fi per day, so it is enough if you just need to do a quick check, but not enough to accomplish any work. If you need more than 20 minutes, you have to pay for 2 hours. Not ideal, but not the worst either. Breakfast was typical for Brazil, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice, meat and cheese, breads, coffee and tea.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

While the hotel was nicely located near Avenida Paulista and the metro, I was a bit disappointed with the hotel and area after reading some of the earlier reviews.

I'm a foodie, so I would have been better off to be on the other side of Avenida Paulista and closer to the majority of the nicer restaurants. I also found Avenida Paulista a little stale with all of the office buildings and malls. I enjoyed my subsequent stay in the centro district better.

While the rooms were large, the bathrooms were dated and the internet routers were in the hallway, so the internet was slow.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Munich, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I spent a few days in October 2010 in this hotel. The room itself was good although the windows lacked quality in terms of noise. I was in the 8th or 9th floor, nevertheless I felt as if I was sleeping on the street, judging by the noise level. Fortunately it got more quiet outside at later night.
The biggest downside to me was the bathroom. It never really looked clean, especially the bathtub was in an awful state. Another thing that shocked me was that they served tab water at breakfast. You must know that it absolutely tastes awful in Sao Paulo. Furthermore, like so often, the TV remote barely worked.
The only thing I really liked was the gym, which is in a good state in all ways.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Hellek1

Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

Me and my wife stayed from Tuesday to Sunday. In the area there is a lot of shopping malls and restaurants. The hotel was clean, breakfast was good and the room was a lot better than expected. We did not experience that there was noise from the street. Our room was quiet. The only negatives was the pool and the fitness room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MattiasLotta

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

Nice hotel, rooms are a bit oldish but big. Wireless internet works fine and quite fast and is with 15 Reals quite affordable for 24 hours. As I arrived early the first day from an international flight I did not want to have breakfast and asked just for a coffee from the buffet, which I took to the lobby which was accepted and fine. Check-in/out experience quite OK, even though I had a little wait during check-out as only one guy was on duty at 6:30AM!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business