“Perfect Restaurant Frequented by Artsy Locals.....”
Review of Santa Gula - CLOSED

Santa Gula
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jardins
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Santa Gula was recommended by a personal friend who has lived in Sao Paulo for the better part of her life. She promised a fabulous garden setting, great food and good value for the price and Santa Gula delivered on all fronts. We went on the early side (for Sao Paulo dining, that is...) and found it easy to get to and "get in" even on a Saturday night. The neighborhood is Vila Madalena and the books will tell you that this is an artsy part of the city typically flooded with artists, writers, intellectuals and those that wanna be any of the former. It's not filled with business dining bankers from downtown Sao Paulo via Faria Lima. My permanent residence is in Brooklyn, NYC so I was at "home" in a similar artsy intellectual setting. They have convenient valet parking for R$18 and the restaurant will wow you from the moment you step out of the cab or valet park your car. As soon as you walk under their sign you walk up a slightly sloped narrow pathway that is filled with the warm glow of candlelight and sconces. Very cool. The path is about 40 meters long and it opens into the waiting area for the restaurant. One the night we went there were thin hanging vine-like flowers filling the waiting area which made it seem like the perfect place to take a date and stir some romance. The restaurant itself is appointed in what I will call "rustic chic" style with very simple and eclectic furnishings. The center of the garden used to be wide open to the sky from what I was told, but there is now a tarp covering the majority of the opening. Drinks were good. Food was fabulous. Don't miss this place if you have some time to explore Sao Paulo away from the downtown business district. After dinner, stroll down any of the adjoining streets and you'll find great local live music in most of the bars and restaurants.

1  Thank david b
There are newer reviews for Santa Gula

Reviewed January 16, 2012

The environment is very beautiful (expecially the garden) and the place is in a very nice and safe neighbourhood .
Caipirinha was excellent, one of the best in my 3 weeks brazilian trip, and the staff of the restaurant was really kind. Those who served us did not speak english but we managed to get understood easily.
Food was very good as well.
Strongly recommended.

1  Thank lioulla
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We loved the ambience, the medallions in port wine and the knock'em dead caipirinha!

Vila Madalena is the Soho of Sao Paulo, and this restaurant has great character and food to kick off, or close out your night in style.

1  Thank Ediane M
Reviewed December 29, 2011

not an ordinary restaurant...it´s an old house resotred. great dishes (duck).Great place, exquisit cuisine. expect to pay around 80/90 reais per person (no wine).

1  Thank cozonis
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Went here today with a group of colleagues, spontaneously. A multi-cultural group, and the Brazilians ordered for the rest of us, so I don't really know what I ate or how much it cost, but it was supposed to be traditional Brazilian (and one dish of Portuguese) food. Whatever I had (a traditional dried meat, ham I think, on pumpkin puree, w crispy manioc and a vegetable) tasted really good, and there was a lot, more than I could finish. It was a great experience, and the staff and the warm atmosphere really added to the event. I'd go back again if I thought I would be able to find it on my own!

ps--this was far more than a pizza cuisine, I think that needs to be changed

1  Thank Tracy98110