“Yum Yum Yum”

Captain Frank Smoke Shack
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We liked it so much for lunch on wednesday we stopped on our way back home on friday to eat on the road back home to St Louis. Food was out of the bag before we even hit the interstate. Regret we didn't make a double order! Great food-great price-forget about stopping at the fast food chain in town--stop here!

1  Thank queenlynn

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was working in Bayou LaBatre during the BP spill in the summer and fall of 2010. I was introduced to Captain Frank's Smoke Shack by one of the shrimp boat Captains. This place is small and unassuming, but boy o' boy do they know how to make BBQ. I grew up in Virginia and love BBQ, so now that I have been living in New England for close to 20 years, I make it a point to try BBQ at every chance I get when I am down south. This had to be the best I had in the 3 months I was in Alabama, and I must have had BBQ in about 20 places while I was there, since I was living in a hotel room for half the time I was there. If you ever find your self in the Bayou, do your self a favor and check out Captain Franks!

3  Thank Jason K
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This place serves up fantastic food in big helpings. The smoked burger has to be ordered ahead or expect to wait - but it's worth it. I've enjoyed every meal that I've had here.

1  Thank Bill W
Reviewed February 12, 2010

I am a local and i have ate here at captain franks smoke shack very few times. in my expirences i come to notice that the bar-b-cued meats had been prepared a day or two before. the girl who waited on us took a bowl of bar-b-cued meat out of the refrigirator heated it in the microwave and spooned it on the bun & it had a "leftover" taste. I have tried pork, beef & chicken all the same remedy. Although they have great baked beans, gumbo, & a wonderful stuffed potato that distiguishes the meats left over taste. It consist of a very large baked potato, butter, sour cream & shredded cheese, & it preferably comes with bar-b-qued pork but they will normally let you sub it for Beef or chicken. The potato is the only thing on there menu i would recommend. It is a very small place also and it only has 2 tables inside and two outside. Its more of a take bar-b-que not your typical dine in resturant.

2  Thank BAYOUGRL
Reviewed February 10, 2010

This is the best in the Mobile area that we have found. We tried the ribs and the chicken. Frank and his daughter were working when we were in and we made ourselves at home in this 2 table shack. The chicken was moist and we really liked the dry rub. The meats had perfect smoke. Not too overpowering. The sauce is served on the side as it should be and was a perfect complement. Slaw and beans were perfection. The beans had the same black pepper goodness that were found in the rub and sauce.
We were reading the many awards on the wall for the gumbo and even though we could barely eat another mouthfull of food we ordered a pint. It was packed with crawfish, sausage and chicken. It deserves all the awards that it has won. Frank, thanks for the hospitality. You are a great pitmaster. Can't wait to go back.