“Great sandwiches and coffee”

Lighthouse Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Nice local place with good sandwiches and a fairly limited menu. Would like to see them offer salads.

There are newer reviews for Lighthouse Restaurant

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I accidentally drove by this place after visiting Bellingrath Gardens. We had overheard some guests at our hotel recommending this spot, so we decided to give it a try. This is NOT a fancy place, but rather, a quaint, old restaurant that has been serving the locals for a long time. I ordered off of the senior menu and here's what I got: popcorn shrimp, cole slaw, a baked potato and hush puppies. I think I just had ice water with lemon for my drink. The price for this meal was a whopping $5.75!!!

Usually, I really don't expect popcorn shrimp to be that good, but mine were plump, very tasty and just delicious. Not a real surprise since Bayou La Batre is considered to be the seafood capital of Alabama.

My only disappointment was the fact that given that the place was old, quant and VERY rural, we would have expected some more of the great southern Alabama friendly hospitality here. In fact, the waitress was rather unfriendly and curt. When I paid my bill at the cash register, no smile or "thanks for coming, ya'll come back."

So that was a surprise. But hey, I'll take the good food and great value.

1  Thank xckier
Reviewed April 1, 2013

When I visit in-laws they always take us here. It's a simple cafe/shack-y type place - look for the faux lighthouse outside. It's popular so usually pretty crowded = arrive early.

In-laws claim it has the best crab claws- they are breaded. I prefer broiled so to me it isn't 'pure' enuf. However I always enjoy them - though tbh it could be almost anything under that breading :). Hubby typically has flounder and /or grouper and expects 'grilled' to mean a little salt & pepper & maybe butter , panfried. He finds the Cajun 'seasoning' detracts fr the fish flavor and so he's ambivalent too. He's fr the area but lives in Australia so perhaps Australia's great seafood has perverted his taste buds.

At lunch - some had the special red beans and rice - they both said it was awful.

Summary - we would give it a 6/10 but family rates crab claws 10/10. Agreed skip the no seafood dishes especially if the lunch specials.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Took the family out today for seafood and the crab claws were excellent and huge! We went for an early dinner and was seated immediately. Once finished, there was a waiting line so it is easy to tell that this is a local favorite.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

A very modest place with great friendly atmosphere. Obvioiusly aimed at the locals it serves up some excellent fish food. Substantial quantities all of which are homemade. Bellingrath Garden employees suggested this place and it was very good. It is a bit of a hole in the wall looking place, but a great restaurant.