“Clean and comfortable, but not so good location”
Review of Mercure Campinas

Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Campinas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a standard Mercure hotel. The room is spacious, clean, has a good shower and bed.
I've heard though that it is not a safe location to walk around at night, so decided to have dinner at the hotel's buffet.
The buffet is just ok for the price (R$45,00), don't have too many options, but still better than ordering food in the room according to my colleagues who did so.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Rodrigo C, Gerente geral at Mercure Campinas, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear client,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments about Mercure Campinas with us and other. It is a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay and approved our service, premises and food. We are continuasly working to improve the quality of our buffet.

We hope to continue being your choice in the city and welcome you back again to our hotel soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Mercure - shame on you. Or should I say Accor Group (owners of Mercure hotels) shame on you to let your Mercure brand slide like this. Every Mercure I go to seems to be sliding into "poor" territory way too fast for its own good. You can track my trip across Brazil by looking at my latest reviews, so Mercure is definitely benefitting from being the hotel on the backside of some really bad ones in this review. This hotel has definitely aged from the photos. The lobby looks tired and the hallways upstairs need renovating badly, and a few of the lights didn't turn on when I went under them, clearly the bulb needing to be changed. as they are made to be automatic with movement.

There were a few things that I really appreciated after being in such awful hotels before this one, which is why the Mercure gets an average and not poor rating - like I said really benefitting from the awful experiences before it. I appreciated the fact they had at least one person behind the desk who spoke English which helped.

The sheets were very clean and very soft, which was a huge change from the other hotels. But, one HUGE problem was a spot on the pillow cover even it was clearly clean - so disgusting. I threw the pillow on the floor. Thankfully there was a clean pillow in a plastic bag in the closet. I am hoping this actually means it is indeed clean and they put it in the bag each and every time someone uses it and they don't reuse the bag or the pillow. I also appreciated that the blanket was nicely folded in a plastic bag as well. I am also hoping this means they launder it after each use and put it into the bag each time and don't just fold it and put it back into the bag. One can only hope this is what they actually do! The blanket smelled and looked fresh, clean, and fairly new and fluffy. Considering what I had to deal with in the Brazilian countryside (see reviews) it was a huge pleasure to use it. There was no indication that the bag meant it was new or laundered with a sticker or something I just hope. Mercure - what would it cost you to close the bag with a sticker that tells your clients the bag and the pillow have not been used and give us some peace of mind?

Like all hotels I have stayed in, in Brazil the bathroom needs renovation, but it was the least awful of all of them (with the exception of the Hilton in Sau Paolo, see that review). This one didn't smell of rust and didn't have any rot in between the tiles, so that was nice.

The breakfast was decent, it had some nice items, but a lot of the yogurts were left out too long and were room temperature and that is scary in a country like Brazil. More attention had to be paid to the milk and dairy products that were out way too long at room temp.

Also the elevators kept not working! Really? Elevators that are not in working order in a chain hotel? Unacceptable.

All in all I would never recommend you choose this hotel on your own, if your business puts you there overnight you will survive, maybe even 2 nights, if you have to stay more than 2 nights, change hotels for sure, Campinas is big enough there are better hotels in town. Mercure has to do a better job taking care of its hotels before it gets my seal of approval for a longer stay. After all it belongs to a huge hotel group who really has no excuse not to keep up its hotels at a standard it should be keeping them up to, especially in a city like Campinas.

Room Tip: They all seem to be the same...but the higher floors are always better.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Rodrigo C, General Manager at Mercure Campinas, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear client,

Thank you for telling us about your experience at the MERCURE CAMPINAS. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

It is always disappointing see that we could not have met your expectations. At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address all the problems and prevent future occurrences.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Last time I stayed and reviewed this hotel about 12 months ago I said that it was a good business class hotel. After all the Mercure brand is not the lowest in the world.

Unfortunately things have declined here.

Some staff appear to be making up their own excuses in answer to hotel policies which is obviously a training issue because they are factually incorrect. The valet parking staff seem to have new time consuming system which means that in prime times there are cars wishing to deposit or pick up guests queued way down the main road.

Breakfast was never anything to write home about but the lack of variation from day to day can be mind-numbing. If you stay for one night OK, anything longer be prepared to be institutionalised.

Rooms OK but no opening windows and a light out in the bathroom remained so during my stay. Therefore the cleaners need more traing to report these faults.

The cheeseburger through room service was distgusting and fell well short of the BRL16 charged.

Finally Mecure hotels in Brazil need to really think about minibar prices which bear no relation to actual costs.

Stays in Mercure hotels on this trip will make me seriously think of another brand in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Rodrigo C, Gerente geral at Mercure Campinas, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Mr.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Campinas. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel with good room.
The receptionist was very proactive and fast. The restaurant is very good for dinner. I suspect that breakfast is not included in the price of room, but regardless of paying or not the breakfast is very complete.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Fabio T
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I've paid a big money to poor quality of the hotel (it's old and there is no too much maintenance) and low level service (front desk - they don't know how to treat the customers).
It was my last stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Honestly I believe the hotels of Accor group charge a high fare and offers just a fair service. The hotel Mercure is an example. It is possible to find a better hotel with low fare and a good quality of service in the region.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I had a three day conference here, so went where I was told by the company. I was pleasantly surprised.

The room was good sized - not huge, but well-utilized. The bed was the largest item which worked well. It was comfortable.

I was not a fan of the shower, since it only had the "rainfall" showerhead, coming straight down on me. Since I am very tall, it did not work out too well.

The restaurant food was good, and the breakfast buffet was quite large with a great number of options.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business