“If it wasn't for the staff....”
Review of Melia Campinas

Melia Campinas
Ranked #2 of 42 Hotels in Campinas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I've never been in a hotel where the staff tries and accomplishes so much well the object to act like they don't care about their customers. While checking in you can already feel the negative mood, breakfast again, really terrible service. And I've been here several times already.
The hotel is good and the food decent. The hotel would have a much better rating if it wasn't for the staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Campinas011, Gerente geral at Melia Campinas, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Mr Rigotto,

Thank you so much for choosing the TRYP Campinas as your choice in Campinas.
We would like to kindly ask you to accept our sincerely apologies to not correspond your expectation with our staff and services. We have immediately taken all the necessary measures in compliance to the responsible areas in order to improve these aspects for your next stay. We take this opportunity to thank you for your comments, which help us to improve the quality of our services.

Yours sincerely, Jacques Bezençon - General Manager

Reviewed June 24, 2012

The good. Hotel was clean and in a decent location. You can walk to several local resturants and bars. The staff was very helpful. Breakfast was decent.

The bad. I was there for three days. WiFi in The room was nonexistent. Every time I needed to do some work I had to camp out in the lobby. For the price we paid to stay here, this is unacceptable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing the TRYP Campinas as your choice in Campinas.
We have immediately taken all the necessary measures in compliance to the responsible areas in order to improve the Internet speed for your next stay. We take this opportunity to thank you for your comments, which help us to improve the quality of our services.
Yours sincerely,
Jacques Bezençon

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Campinas is one of those places that you only visit if you have to. When Diego Maradona had his highly publicized drug problems many years ago, someone here in Brazil joked that you could tell that there was something really wrong with him. After all, of all places in the world, he chose Campinas as the destination for his family holiday, back in the days when he and his pal Careca, a local resident, played for Napoli in Italy. Campinas is a rich city in the outskirts of even richer Sao Paulo, and the Tryp hotel is located in a fine neighborhood, Cambui. It is a very decent hotel with awful wi-fi, as someone already noted in a review. But what are you really doing here?

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

My only complaint is the WiFi. You can only connect one device per room, which to me is unacceptable in our world of laptops and iStuff. And, when you are connected, it is so weak and slow that you can't use it for much. That is my reason for only giving it a 3. Other than that, the staff was so nice and helpful; the rooms were extremely clean; and, the location is beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Tryp Campinas was the hotel recommended by the people I'm visiting (business). Since this is my 1st visit to the area, I accepted their recommendation. All in all, I'll say it is a good hotel. The location was quiet, I was there two weekends, and there is not a lot of activity expecially on Sundays. Walking the nearby streets was interesting, but not enough so that I'd make an effort to return.

Midweek, the hotel is very busy with business travelers, the breakfast room was jammed between ~7.00 & 8.00. Weekends, it was effectively empty; the selection was good whether empty or full.

Evening meals in the restaurant were always less crowded than breakfast. The Bacaulho, served lightly grilled, with grilled veggies, was delicious. I recommend that selection. Other evening meals were good.

My rooms (I was there separately, with stays elsewhere in between) were OK as hotel rooms go. No good comfortable chair for relaxing or working on a laptop, instead two single beds.

I'll try a different hotel next time I am in Campinas.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chasinUpstateNewYork
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Here I am, back to Tryp Campinas, four months later. The last time I was here I used an internet stick. This time I had to rely on the hotel's internet and realized how bad it is. Okay, internet is free, but keep in mind hotels here in Brazil are ridiculously expensive. It's really difficult to find in Brazil the ideal combination of good hotel + good internet access.

If you need to have access to a fast and reliable internet you better bring your own internet stick or chose another hotel. Last week I've finally found an average hotel with an excellent internet service here in Campinas.

Because I'm always on business trips internet for me is important as important as a good shower and a clean bed. I'm downgrading Tryp Campinas this time from "Very Good" to "Average" due to the slow internet.

I really hope they will fix this problem. The hotel is good, the location is excellent, the staff is professional and polite.

Room Tip: Same problem once again with rooms facing the elementary school (noise from the back yard starting e...