“Beautiful but dangerous” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Itapema
Berkeley, California
“Beautiful but dangerous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had a wonderful experience (for the most part) staying at the Plaza Itapema Resort and Spa recently, but unfortunately I almost died because the unsupervised beach adjacent to the hotel has no signs warning swimmers about the strong undercurrent just offshore. The water doesn't look dangerous, but once I was in up to my waste, I felt as if a giant hand had grabbed me and started pulling me out to sea and underwater. It's clearly posted that there is no lifeguard on duty, but nothing about the deathly riptide merely 15 feet from shore; I had a friend on shore who heard me screaming for help and he managed to attract the attention of two beefy hotel guests who managed--after what seemed a lifetime--to pull me out of the ocean. After regurgitating a couple gallons of seawater (OK, maybe a quart), I lived to enjoy the rest of my stay, avoiding the beach like the plague.

When I told the hotel management about this, they hardly acknowledged my experience. To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure they understood what I was saying because NONE of the staff spoke English and we couldn't find an English/Portuguese bilingual to tell them that they should post "DANGEROUS RIPTIDE" signs on their beach. The staff largely understood and spoke German, ahem, but English consistently got nothing but the proverbial I-don't-understand-you shrug.

Except for the near-death experience, the food and facilities were wonderful and, ironically, the thalassotherapy (salt-water based hydrotherapy in a modern spa setting) was my favorite part of my stay in Itapema!

Room Tip: Don't stay in any of the rooms on the second floor of the main check-in desk building. Thhey ha...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is very good. It has internet, tv, pool, sauna. The beach is in front of the hotel. The bedrooms are very good. There’s jacuzzi in the hotel. There is one inside the bathroom but smaller. The hotel is clean, and the food is very delicious. I recommend it

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Santiago, Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We had an excellent week with my wife and two of our childrens. We decided to leave in Chile with our parents our baby (one year and six months), because we were not sure about the installations and the kind of food. Notwithstanding, in the resort we verified that's ideal for families with babies. Very laudable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed at Plaza Itapema Resort last week with my family and I can assure the resort is very good for travellers who look for close contact with nature and also look for some sightseeing nearby. The resort is beautiful and has a private beach to the guests. The landscape is gorgeous cause the beach occupies an comprehensive territory. The resort has also a marine where guests can hire launches,jet-skis etc...the staff is very friendly ans always willing to help. If you want to go for a drive you can visit the city of itapema (2km of distance), Camboriu (5km) and Blumenau, a typical german city, very picturesque just 30km from the resort. However, the hotel has just 1 restaurant that serves international food and the swimming pool could be bigger like most resorts. But those are not things that put down the hotel. All bedrooms are big and clean and there are some with 2 bathrooms and a living room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gilda28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itapema
Solis Praia Hotel
Reserva Praia Hotel
#12 of 55 in Balneario Camboriu
4.5 of 5 stars 181 reviews
Ponta dos Ganchos Exclusive Resort
Ponta dos Ganchos Exclusive Reso...
#1 of 3 in Governador Celso Ramos
Hotel Mercure Camboriu
Hotel Mercure Camboriu
#6 of 55 in Balneario Camboriu
4.5 of 5 stars 1,551 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel? Share your experiences!