“Great Pousada with wonderful hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pousada do Atoba

Pousada do Atoba
Ranked #21 of 252 Florianopolis B&B and Inns
Vienna, Austria
“Great Pousada with wonderful hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

Pousada do Atoba is situated in Santinho, which is in the north of the Island of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, close to Praia Ingleses, where you will find lots of restaurants and supermarkets. A smaller supermarket and a coffeshop are nearby. To the beach, it is a short walk (5 – 7 min) and a lot of other beaches are easily accessible by bus.

To downtown Florianopolis there is either the local bus R$ 2,50 (sometimes crowded and you have to changes buses) or the ejecutivo, for R$ 5,- (airconditioned, direct and much faster). Other beaches can be reached by local buses. We rented a car, which makes it easier to explore the island.

I definitely cannot agree with one comment here which had problems with rates and reservations: We had booked a long time ago direct at the website of the Pousada and although prices had gone up meanwhile, Alina gave us the price of the previous season, which was cheaper. By the way: I do not think it is very “professional” (who claims the author of the comments mentioned to be) to vote for a place in all categories a 0, although she/he/it never stayed there, but only had problems with a hostelbroker.

The Pousada itself is about 200m uphill from the main road and the whole property is very well maintained. We had a Chalet which can accommodate up to 4 persons. It has a separate bedroom with A/C and a combined living room with kitchen and a table to eat. In front of the entrance you will find a hammock. There is a pool on the property, we personally prefer to swim in the ocean. There is free WIFI on the whole property and one PC with internet for those who do not carry their notebook with them.

As mentioned before, the hosts are outstanding friendly and helpful and try to do everything to make your stay more enjoyable. Aline speaks perfect English and Spanish, her sister too and also her mother speaks some English!

The breakfast is wonderful, from fresh fruits, homemade cakes and pastries to cold cuts. We will definitely come again!

Greetings from Vienna

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

I would like to share my experience in dealing with the hotel owner Alina, who some of the previous reviews speak so highly of.

I booked four nights at the Pousada in February, based in the first place on the good reviews in this forum. I made the booking online via the hostelworld booking form, which works as a third party online broker (same as expedia, opodo etc).

When I sent them an email asking to confirm they had received my booking (something I always do when booking through a third party), first I did not get any reply. Then a couple of days later came a message saying that they were sorry, but the price at which I had booked was not the correct price (which they stated as being about twice what I had booked for) and that I would have to cancel my reservation. After I requested further explanation, they said that there had been "an error in their backoffice" due to which prices on the hostelworld website had been stated too low just for the period of my booking..

Well, tough luck, you would think - a booking is a booking and presumably if you had stated the prices too high you would not later have given me a discount, right? You made the error, so you stand up for it - that would have been the professional attitude I would have expected. The hotel saw things differently though. Surprisingly, they did not even offer me to stay for what they regarded as the "correct price" - their only suggestion was to cancel the booking and make a refund of the 10 % deposit which I had already paid via hostelworld.

In the end I gave in as I did not see any point in staying there under the circumstances. I asked them to refund the 10 % to my UK bank account, which of course they never did. I never heard back from Alina either. So they decided to keep my money and not give me the room I booked - great.

I can't say anything about the hotel itself for obvious reasons. However, you may want to think twice before dealing with people who treat their customers in such an unprofessional and dishonest manner.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Eurotrash77
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed here for 5 days in total. We were made to feel at home immediately. Aline and her family made us feel very welcome, alines dad even gave us a lift to the next town. The service was exceptional, we had cleaners in our room everyday who even folded our clothes and put them away for us! The breakfast is really good too, quite a lot on offer to choose from. There was also the bonus of finding that we had cable tv in our room with english speaking movie channels.
I would say for those who are looking to be in party district then this isn´t the place. It is a place to come and chill out/sunbathe. You can get a bus to a nearby scooter rental place though which a lot of people were using to get around the island and visit all the beaches. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
FRA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

So happy we booked Pousada do Atoba based on a recommendation, an oasis on the island. Lovely family, beautiful surroundings. Too bad we had to leave after 5 nights. Highly recommend to everyone who wants to get away from the crowds. Ingleses is only 10 minutes away by bus where you can find restaurants and lots of people. Santinho is rather quiet with a beautiful beach. Great surfing school at the beach "Ilha da Magia".

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
aylesbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2009

6 Wonderful Days - A must if you visit - Florianopolis.

We stayed at the Pousada do Atoba, Praia do Santinho for almost a week in Novermber 2009, It was a real pleasure to meet Aline and the rest of her lovely Family they make you feel very, very welcome and the accommodation itself is first rate, the best we have stayed in during our trip to South America.
With the beach just across the street and the bus stop right outside you can have a great base great also for checking out other areas of the beautiful Island of Florianopolis.

Summary

Great Breakfast Everyday, Excellent value, Beautiful Pousada, Great Family.
if you dont visit Pousada do Atoba it would be a real shame.

10/10

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

We arrived at the pousada early in the morning after an overnight bus journey and were greeted by Aline who immediately offered us breakfast (something that has never been offered to us on day of arrival before!) which was delicious. She then showed us to our room, which turned out to be a chalet with our own kitchen, and lounge with LCD TV! It was lovely, and so much more than we had expected. We had booked 4 nights but ended up staying longer as we loved it there so much. Aline and her family are fantastic, and really do make you feel like you are at home there. Nothing is too much trouble for them - Aline speaks perfect English, and helped us and the other guests out so much during our stay. When the day came for us to leave we did not want to go!

Although the pousada is situated some way out of the town, there is a bus stop right over the street which gets you there in about 10 minutes and is very easy to use. There are also supermarkets and restaurants within walking distance. The Santinho beach is the closest to the pousada - it is really beautiful and definitely worth going to.

We have been travelling for 2 and a half months and Pousada do Atoba was by far the best place we have stayed on our trip so far.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

This pousad is close to a great beach. Has a hair dryer, safe box, nice bathroom, great pool and awsome breakfast.
The two ladies that run the place are very helpfull and friendly and speak great english!!!
nice place for couples.