“If using Expedia, BE CAREFUL!”

Novotel Florianopolis
Ranked #11 of 97 Hotels in Florianopolis
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The hotel is decent. For a Sofitel, I expected more, but I guess that when you are in Brazil, the standards of luxury hotels are a lot different than in the USA or Europe. However, I am here writing this review because I am extremely disappointed at how the hotel handled my payment.

I made my reservation through Expedia. Apparently, Expedia charged me for my one night stay when I made my reservation on my cell phone. Once I got to the hotel, I checked in and the young man at the reservation guest asked me for my credit card. I told him that I was pretty sure that Expedia had charged me already for the reservation, but he said that this was wrong and that I needed to make a payment. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and allowed him to charge my card. I took his word that Expedia had not in fact charged me for my one night stay.

Once I left the hotel, I realized that I had been charged once by Expedia and also by the Sofitel hotel for the same night's stay. This made me really frustrated. I tried calling the hotel to ask them to refund my money, but unfortunately they said that they could not help me because I called during the night shift and that the person in charge of reimbursements only works during the day. Now I am going to have to make multiple phone calls and hop through a bunch of phone calls just to get my money reimbursed. Its a shame that a Sofitel will allow for such careless mistakes to happen. If the hotel is going to use a site such as Expedia, they should train their employees to know whether or not a reservation was paid for before double charging their guests.

The staff that works at this hotel are not the most attentive, so make sure you double check your reservations / receipts before you make any payment at the hotel. It is a huge pain to get anything refunded!

Room Tip: I am an Accor Gold member and I felt like I almost had to hassle the hotel staff to grant me an upgr...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
danilo s, Gerente geral at Novotel Florianopolis, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Bonjour. Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel Florianópolis.
We are at your entire disposal to clarify the situation.
Please contact us by h5947-fo5@sofitel.com.
We hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Kind Regards, Danilo Scheibler, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed March 13, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Sofitel in Florianopolis for a couple of nights. The hotel is located in downtown Florianopolis and faces the water. It is easy to locate and in close proximity to some good things. The first is that there are many restaurants immediately around the hotel. Second, there is a sidewalk the wraps around the perimeter of downtown Florianopolis along the water. You can easily access it for a walk, run, bike ride or people-watching session. Finally, there is a mall within walking distance too in case you would like to do some all-in-one shopping.

They have a rooftop pool, but I did not take a look at it. Also, parking is included so it is easy if you have a car. The Sofitel is a short ten to fifteen minute drive from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Smuckuss
danilo s, Gerente geral at Novotel Florianopolis, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Bonjour. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sofitel Florianópolis. I am very glad to read about your stay with us. We were truly pleased to welcome you and look forward to your next stay at Sofitel Florianópolis.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

It's my first time in Florianopolis and I did quite an extensive research on hotels. I decided to stay at the sofitel and all in all I think I made the right decision. The hotel is perfectly located and I booked a room facing the ocean which is breathtaking. The room was clean and spacious but I agree that it's a bit warn out and need some work done. The occitane bathroom products are a great touch. I asked to ask for an iron and ironing board which I believe are necessities in a hotel room. A staff called the next day to see if I was done with them. I told them that I need them for the rest of my stay and they were fine with it. There are great restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel. There's a mexican restaurant right next to the hotel which is one of my favs. My only complaint is the inconsistent service provided by staff. Most of them were quite nice but there were a few who were unfriendly. I was afraid to ask them questions at times. Another thing I didn't like is that they always tried to push for their hotel car service which is a lot more expensive than a regular taxi. They're not willing to get a regular taxi for you.

Unfortunately, there aren't great hotels in the main city of Florianopolis as far as I know. I would probably stay at this property when I go back. But I will definitely spend a few days staying at the beaches.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank BforBoy

Bonjour,
We were truly pleased to welcome you and hope we will have the opportunity to satisfy you more on a next stay at Sofitel Florianópolis.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
danilo s, Gerente geral at Novotel Florianopolis, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I believe it is the third time we opted to stay at the Sofitel Florianopolis. Our previous reviews were fairly good, except for services that should improve and some minor refurbishing needed. This time, however, it's been very disappointing!! During check-in we were informed that the hotel was packed and there was one single (ocean front) room -- as we reserved -- in the third floor available. The problem is that the third floor is right above the reception and the street, with light cables obstructing the ocean view. Ok, no bigger problem so far. We unpacked and decided to rest a while. At this time we heard noises from some refurbishing -- yes, in the middle of the summer season! This was nothing if compared to the problems that we faced late at night. While sleeping I felt a bite in my arm. A little later, I felt a bite in y belly. We turn on the light to find out that there were dozens of "bed bugs" in the bed and tables. We used wet towels and flip-flops to terminate as many as we could. We stayed at the Sofitel for two nights under the same circumstances. I complained with the hotel staff after the first night, but nothing has been done to minimize our pain. After our check-out the hotel manager called me up to apologize and inform that they would take care of the problems in the third floor rooms. On the other hand, the least we expected was some sort of compensation for the pain we had -- like a discount or an extra stay in a higher (cleaner) floor! It is so unfortunate that nothing has been said or done in this respect! No doubt, the Sofitel has miles of improvement ahead...

Room Tip: Never, ever, accept a room in the lower floor (third floor). Make sure you point it out in your rese...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mitsumi
Marina M, Gerente de recepção at Novotel Florianopolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2017

We are pleased to know your feedback over your experience. It’s based on your reviews that we work hard to reach the excellence in our services.
Kind regards,
Novotel Florianópolis Crew

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is a good hotel in Florianopolis, in a great location, beautiful view and close to some nice restaurants.
The rooms are nice and the service is good.
The breakfast is excellent, but the price for the dinner in the hotel may be a little high.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Novotel Florianópolis and we are pleased to know that you were satisfied with your overall experience.
Kind regards,