“Agressiv owner Roberta”

Wedel, Germany
“Agressiv owner Roberta”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

To everybody:
this was the worst stay in a hostel, I ever had in my life all over the world.

First: Thanks to Marianna, you were all time friendly, nice and helpful.

I booked 3 nights in a single room. In a mail, they explained: the room is small. ok, but as small???
Only 1/2 a meter around a bed! Now, we had have wintertime, so it was very cold inside, but the other here on this platform wrote, in summer: millions of mosquitoes.
Also I book a room with a bathroom, but when I arrived, Roberta, the owner, told me: NO, you have to share. This was different, but, ok. The toilette was not really working and it was very stinky in this bathroom. But this all was not the point.
The point was, that I wanted to sleep. Ups, what a crazy desire! In this hostel no way.
This is a HOSTEL: WAY TO GO. The specially meaning, you will understand later.
On the first evening, I wanted to sleep very early, right, I had a 16-hour-bus-trip. At 11pm, it was still very loud in the hostel. The terrace, where all people smoke and drunk and made party, is in the middle of the hostel and very close to the "private area", which Roberta called, my room. I heard everything, even though I was already wearing earplugs. I went to this outside terrace and saw Roberta celebrating with drinking and smoking. She said: we are a hostel and nobody is going to bed a 7pm.( it was 4 hours later) OK, that's right, but isn’t it possible, to be a little bit less loud? No way. Roberta was in the middle of the party, drinking alcohol.
Next evening: the same. At about 12 pm, I was sitting in the kitchen, sleep was not possible and writing a mail (W-LAN was not possible in my room). Roberta came in, very jolly: "Hello, do you feel good?" I sad: NO, because I cannot sleep, it is too loud. Olala.... that was the wrong sentence. Roberta was very angry. I went to my room, she followed me and was shouting aggressive on me. In my room, she sad: you have to leave tomorrow!(WAY 2 GO)She put her foot in the door, so I could not close the door. I sad, please let me alone, ... no she was going on with the abuse.
Then she went out and slammed the next door. ( at 3 am it was still loud).WOWOW, I thought, Roberta was drunken, because of this very rough behaviour.
My sister has a little hotel and she tells everyone: The guest is king! Not for Roberta.
Next day, I wanted to leave. And no...Roberta seemed the day before not be drunken. On this morning she was nastier, viler. I read in between everything on TRIP. WOW, mostly good reviews. How is that possible? All fakes....? But there were some: Please read....."Mostly the people are leaving this house after 1,2 nights! This is the Hostel WAY 2 Go....Roberta said; they are all lying! And all this extremly positiv reviews?
She called me and "old" ....I don't write the word..."woman".
When I closed the door and leaved this house, it was like a relief!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Oragniafiagata

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Very clean house with soap and handtowels in the bathrooms; good selection for breakfast and a good central location. Handy US/Brazilian plug sockets. Owner is knowledgeable and friendly but needs to relax a bit more. Ceiling fan in rooms working but totally ineffective and therefore rooms stifling (+30C at 11pm when I was there) Only solution is to open windows and shutters which lets all the mosquitoes in. 6 bed ensuite dorm is situated at the front of the house which means it gets traffic noise in the morning and during the day incl. buses. No real social vibe at this place. If you value cleanliness above all else, then this is the place for you. Apart from that, I think there are better compromises in Floripa.

Room Tip: 6 bed ensuite dorm gets traffic noise, all rooms very hot. Bring your own fan?!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Without a doubt one of the cleanest hostels we've stayed in. Great location if you want to be in Lagoa, close to all the shops and supermarket. Excellent spotless kitchen with all the pots and pans you need. Helpful and friendly owner. Only downside are that the rooms get very hot and stuffy and there were lots of mosquitoes (was more of a problem in the doubles than the dorms). Still I would definitely go back if I was staying in the area again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iain K
London
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for four nights in February 2013. We stayed in the private double room with shared bathroom, costing R$120 per night, which we felt was expensive for what you got.

Pros:

- Good breakfast of muesli, ham/cheese sandwiches, fruit and coffee.
- Clean bathrooms and communal areas.
- Well-equipped kitchen.
- Close to supermarkets, bars and cheap Havaianas!
- Friendly crowd when we stayed there.

Cons:
- Stiflingly hot rooms with inadequate fan and abundant mosquitos means you won't get much sleep here.
- Weak showers, one of which gave me an electric shock.
- No WiFi in room.
- Tiny, rickety beds in the double and, others told us, in the dorms too.
- An hour's walk to the beach.
- Strict and frankly arbitrary house rules are enforced by the owner. For example, I was told off like a small child for bringing in one can of beer to have with dinner, however it's fine to bring in a bottle of tequila and get smashed. The owner explained that this was to stop people filling the fridge with beer. Fair enough, but I had one can and it didn't go near the fridge. I then noticed that the hostel owner will kindly sell you a beer from a dedicated fridge, for about three times what the supermarkets charge. The owner had a go at me the next day when another guest was drinking beer near me. Apparently I was expected to tell them not to bring in their own beer, as she had already told me off for it before.

In summary, we would try somewhere else if we were ever to visit Florianopolis again. The great breakfast does not make up for the hostel's shortcomings. I've no idea why it is rated 5/5 here on TA. Several people we met here moved to other hostels after a night or two due to a combination of lack of sleep and odd behaviour of the owner.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at Way2go for 4 nights in January and really enjoyed it. We even got a free upgrade to a private room instead of a dorm. The hostel itself is very clean, has a a great kitchen and the owner is so nice, helpful and welcoming you have no choice but to love her. The location is also great - really close to the busstops, shops, supermakets and restaurants and if you are up for a Party, there are plenty of bars to choose from. The closest beach, Praia Mole is only a short busride away and other beaches are easliy to get to as well via buses (and it's cheap).

Roberta will always be able to tell you where to go (day or night time) and give you advice on what to do while visiting 'Floripa'. We wish we could have stayed for longer. Book your stay here if you wanna stay in Florianopolis.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This hostel feels like home! Perfect in every way. It is very clean. Excellent service. Breakfast is very good. They speak English very good. And are always friendly and willing to help. The hostel is situated at the best spot in Florianopolis. Close to lagoa center and close to the lake, nearby two very good beaches. If you stay in Florianopolis you have to stay here!

• Stayed January 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Located in the town of Lagoa de Conceicao, this hostel is within short and easy “city-bus” ride from Florianopolis. I’d suggest you base yourself in Lagoa while exploring the area as it is central to all attractions including the city of Florianopolis.
The hostel is in one storey, well maintained house. It is within a short walking distance to two markets, plenty of restaurants and bars; and to the bus station for busses to Florianopolis, beaches and other tourist attractions in the area. The street and the neighborhood were quiet.
From what I have seen there were total of five rooms: six-bed male, four-bed female, six-bed mixed (with private bathroom) dorm; one private double room and one private room with a bed and a bunk-bed. There were additional 2 ½ shared bathrooms. The rooms were bright and airy, very clean and cleaned daily. Each room had a ceiling fan. There was a locker for each dorm-bed. The bed was comfortable with clean mattress, pillow, and blanket. Linen was white, good condition and clean. The beds were made every day. There was large well equipped kitchen, pleasant small terrace with table and hammocks; and reception with TV area and 2-3 computers.
The Wi-Fi was strong and reached the dorms as well. The breakfast was very nice and certainly above average of the” typical hostel breakfast”. Both were included in the room rate.
The entire hostel had light newer floor tiles and was brightly painted. The bathrooms and kitchen even had granite countertops. All premises were very clean and well maintained.
All staff was very hospitable and helpful. The hostel had good atmosphere. It was a fun place, but not a party hostel.
From my experience, this hostel ranks in the top 5% of hostels I have visited during my travels in Continental Americas. It was run to perfection and provided an exceptional value. I can highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo