“Such a tranquil hostel”
Review of Sunset Backpackers

Sunset Backpackers
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Probably one of the best hostel in Brazil. The staff and the overall presentation of the hostel were on point. I was planning on staying two days but ended up staying eight days. There was always something planned every night which made every night interesting. The lunch buffet was absolutely delicious.!! I stayed there the beginning of May so if you're traveling there around that time, bring a sweater. It can get a bit chilly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Really amazing hostel....beautiful view, great location and amazing food.
The staff are really nice, they have mopeds, bicycles and beach equipment for you to hire out and 10 minute walk to the beach.
There is a restaurant which has amazing food and decently priced...also the organised parties are not bad, but probably more fun if you're under 25...

Room Tip: If you're a solo female...get the 5 bed female dorm with ensuite. There is a hot tub and a balco...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just checked out from there - really great place. First I stayed in some 4-star hotel Eco Village just nearby but decided to move here being warmly invited by hostel staff.

Contrary to previous review - everything worked well. Im 41 y.o. and it is my first staying in hostel since probably 1993 or 1994. But I completely changed my view staying there.
I took the tiny room but with excellent view. Shower and toilet was just next door so it was not problem.
Well I did not have TV but why you need it when you can observe sunset at the lake!

Service was incredible mix of 5 star family hotels in Italy and ShagriLa's excellence in everything.

Great place!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sergey_Ignatyev
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Good hostel overall! We had a few problems with the energy, showers were not working, and the wifi never works, but the staff is so friendly and I had such a good time that this didn't bother me at all. Very nice that they have a restaurant inside the hostel, lunch buffet is good and in a reasonable price. Very close to the best beach in Floripa. Nice view. Good atmosphere. Everybody stays in the sofas at the tv room chatting, so its very very easy to meet people. Youre never alone there

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Can not recommend this hostel highly enough. I spent almost 2 weeks here and struggled to leave. The staff were super friendly, the restaurant food (buffet or off thr menu) was some of the best I have tried in brazil for the price. The social area is perfect for meeting people and the way the hostel organises day trips and party buses to the local night clubs is perfect. The location may seem away from the town and the night life, but in fact it's the best. During the day the best thing to do is to go to the beach, by staying here you are saving a taxi fare to and from the beach beacuse the beach is a 5 min walk. At night the hostel has a party bus which drives you to and from the clubs so don't worry about being away from town. The rooms are big, the only problem is the lack of aircon in some rooms. Also the free breakfast is good.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank chriss1211
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed for several nights and everyday there was amazing. The staff where great and got on with all the travellers. The lunch buffet was amazing and the bbq they do some nights are fantastic. The best view in Floripa with a fantastic location. Well worth a visit!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at Backpacker's Sunset prior to Carnaval, so it wasn't too busy at the hostel. I stayed in a 5-person dorm which was full for 2 days, and had only 3 people including myself for the last 2 days.

The grounds are beautiful! There are amazing views of the lake. I unfortunately didn't see a sunset due to overcast weather for most of my visit. The communal area (where the Wifi is - no wifi in the rooms) was great, perfect place to meet other travellers. I liked that there was no Wifi in the rooms as it forced people to be social and not holed up in their bunks. My room was ok, got a bit hot, but with the large fan in the room it was fine. Tip: the fan also prevents the mosquitos from finding you! I noticed no bites at night when the fan was on. The bed wasn't the comfiest, but it was fine for the 4 nights I was there. I can't comment on the pool or the communal bathrooms as I didn't use them. The bathroom in my 5-person dorm was always neat and tidy (helps to have 2 gay roomies!). Some nights you will need to sleep with earplugs...it can get a bit rowdy! There are indeed a lot of stairs here so if you have any mobility issues then this place is not for you. If you're a healthy young person then you'll be fine.

The food was pretty good. The breakfast is pretty typical. Coffee, bread, sliced meat, cheese, various cakes/fruit, and juices. One day there was eggs, but they went pretty fast. I would usually eat here for dinner as well as it was so convenient. The meals I had (chicken skewers and burgers) were great: quality and quantity were just right. The free caipirinhas at happy hour are small, but strong. It made for a very social evening in the hostel!

Location: The hostel is pretty much on top of a small hill between 2 beaches. The closer beach is Praia Mole (with the adjacent nude beach - name escapes me) which is a 10 min walk. The next closest beach is Praia. Barra da Lagoa is about a 10 min bus ride. It seemed that a bus passed every 20-30 min. I liked the location as it was quite central to the beaches, which were my main reason for going to Floripa. The hostel seems far from downtown, but I didn't really venture into town so I'm not that sure. From the airport a taxi is R$50.

Atmosphere: I met some cool people here! I liked the party planner, she was super laid back and she never pressured us to join an event. The layout of the hostel is great for socializing as the social areas are compact. If you're looking for a more getaway/relaxing hostel this isn't the place for you, but if you're travelling solo like I was, it was perfect!

Overall: I had a great time and would stay here again. The proximity to the beaches was great, the price was right, and the social nature of the hostel really suited my trip. I know there are some negative reviews of this place, but for myself, I ran into no problems at all!

Room Tip: Pay the extra few Reais for a smaller room with an ensuite bathroom! I loved that I only had to shar...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo