Sunset Backpackers
Villas Jurere – Hotel Boutique(Jurere)(Great Value!)
$125
$96
Novotel Florianopolis(Florianopolis)
$117
  • Pool
Pousada dos Sonhos(Jurere)(Great Value!)
$80
$78
Hotels.com
$96
$98
  • Breakfast included
Mercure Florianopolis Convention(Florianopolis)(Great Value!)
$63
$212
$407
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspraia molebeautiful viewbeautiful beachhostelbeachessurfcaipirinha
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had a nice relaxed stay at backpackers sunset. The staff are very nice and welcoming. They also go a long way to accommodate their guests. I stayed in a private room which was very tiny but had room for a double bed and my bags. Only one power socket though so I had to unplug the fan if I needed to charge a device. Everything was clean.

The view from the hostel over the lagoon is stunning.

There are a lot of activities available at this hostel on a daily basis and its really easy to meet people if you're travelling alone. Parties are available (a bus ride away) almost every day. The food is decent, in fact, better than at most hostels, and the evening barbecue was really good too (optional extra)

Security at the hostel is very good. They control who enters and exits.

This hostel is situated a 5 minute walk from a beautiful surf beach, and 10 mins from the lagoon.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Even though i was out of luck with the surf the week I stayed there, the location is excellent for the beaches as it's on the top of the hill - go left for one beach and right for another - easy walking distance with a board. The bus stop is also directly out the front or it's a nice 25min walk into town for the shops/cafes.
Hostel is really good and nicely set out cascading down the side of the hill with stunning views over the lake (hence the "Sunset" name)! Rooms are big dorm style so sometimes you get bad luck with arrogant people but that is nothing to do with the hostel and it's just the luck of travelling and hostel living.
They organise something every day which is great. the food is really nice but it is a little expensive/over priced in the bar for drinks also.
Hostel was always clean (even when full) and the staff were always really friendly and helpful!
There were parties if you wanted it and always people up for a good time, but I wouldnt say it is a crazy party hostel.

Room Tip: the big dorm room is quite hot - go near the fan!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I don´t have any clue how many times I´ve been to this hostel. A friend recommended me and I went there by myself for a festival and had the best time ever.
It has really common areas so it is easy to meet another travellers either you are a solo traveller or a group or even a couple.
The breakfast is good, the view is outstanding, it is proper cleaned and they organize parties and activities all the time.
However is your style, a party animal or a calmer person, you will find something to do there. The staff is really good, always prepared to help.
The rooms itself don´t have anything special, but they are ok and everything else makes this one of the best hostels in Brazil.
I am pretty sure about it and I will be back everytime I can.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Be_Karen
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Backpackers in January. From the moment of arriving to leaving I just couldnt have wished for a friendlier hostel. The staff remembered our names and often  asked us what our plans were for the day so they could suggest places if we didn't have any plans.

The first night we stayed in a double room. The room itself was clean, however with a double and single bed literately side by side didnt leave much room to move around. However this wasn't a major concern for us as we hardly spent any time in our room. The only criticism about this room is that it is by the dorms and the bathroom is shared with the dormitory, so can be a little annoying to wait for the bathroom in the morning or the possibility of waking someone up if going to the bathroom during the night.

We decided to upgrade to the LakeView room for our next 3 nights, only for a small amount more it seemed worth it.

We were really pleased with the room. The room has plenty of space and a balcony that overlooked the beautiful lake, apart from the bathroom being shared again we loved this room very much.

Location wise, this hostel is great if you want to be close to a beach. Mole Beach is only a 10 minute walk down the hill (this hostel is on a hill) and for a small fee you can hire deckchairs and umbrellas from the hostel.

If you want to go into town, you can get a bus that takes you directly there, the bus is about every 30 minutes and is approx 10/15 minutes ride away depending on traffic.

The hostel has a bar and restaurant and on one occasion we did eat there, the food was very good!

Now, as this hostel is a party hostel, on most nights the staff would arrange transport in their very own party bus (loud music and strobe lighting, yes a party bus) to clubs/bars, which is a very nice and fun touch, you also get to meet other travellers which is great!

They do have an external laundry service and I took this option up and unfortunately they lost my top. The hostel owner Junior was absolutely livid with the launderette and arranged with the laundrette to compensate the cost of the top, and in top of this he also threw in a free t - shirt! Most hostels wouldn't even consider this so we were quite happy with this!

I would deffinately recommend this hostel, for the location, the outings they arrange (they also arrange pool parties) and the staff who go out of their way to provide you an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank TheTravellingCo... P
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Although I think the hostel is nice, and it is certainly the place to go to party, I have to warn you about the hostel owner.
He grabbed me buy the neck and pushed me against the wall over a R$20 dispute which he was in the wrong about - inside the hostel and in front of other guests! I had to pay or I would have been beaten up! Please be warned! I asked around town, and this guy has a reputation for this behavior.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo