“Five stars???? Maximum should be three, at best!”

Majestic Palace Hotel Florianopolis
Ranked #8 of 96 Hotels in Florianopolis
North Vancouver, Canada
“Five stars???? Maximum should be three, at best!”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I went to Florianopolis for 5 days and chose the Majestic out of a list offered in a package of air+hotel. There were also options on the type of room to be chosen. I chose the "luxury room", the best of the choices above standard and superior. This meant I would get a room with a view of the city and ocean in the upper floors. I did get apartment 1112 and the view, although not frontal, but lateral. However, for a 5 star hotel I would have expected better cleanliness in the apartment. I have stayed in three star hotels with better and cleaner rooms than the one I got at the Majestic. I have added some pictures to prove my point. There were stains in the carpet, and in the bathroom, as well as the side panel of the glass desk was unclean and stayed so for the 5 days I was there. Moreover, I left a transparent piece of plastic fall on the carpeted floor in the morning and in the evening I step on it, which meant that although the cleaning staff made the bed, they did no vacuum the floor.
Another thing is that they charge an outrageous price for phone calls from the room. I know that hotels charge a premium for making phone calls from the room but I was aghast to find out that the 37 minutes and 41 seconds of calls made during the 5 days came out to be R$91.84 or US/CAN$61.23. I did ask at the desk when checking in the price of calls and they told me R$1.00 per minute (quite high) but it ended up being almost R$3.00 per minute!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Capisce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed January 29, 2011

The Majestic is a good four star hotel in the Beiramar area. The views from the higher floors are great. The hotel has a nice location by the water. Beiramar doesn't offer much historic charm but it is a tidy and pleasant area with many good restaurants. The largest mall in the area is right across the street.

We have nothing bad to say about the hotel. The general ambience, the room, breakfast and service were all good, although not something to write home about. At least for a short stay the Majestic was a fine choice. For longer stays the hotels in the nearby beach towns are definitely better.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank znkl
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Noticed that this hotel does not believe in having a clock. The hot tub and pool was icy cold. The room was small compared to other hotels in the areas. Couldn't believe they charged for ice and added expenses to the overall bill because I was a foreigner and not a Brazilian citizen. The wake up call was non-existent and the front desk was very rude when ever I call for a wake up call. I actually put the food that they stock in the refrigerator on top and they charged me for eating it. They stated they could not tell if it was there food or what I bought from the store.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank sowhaty
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Very nice hotel, reasonably priced, nice views. But the rooms are pretty basic, some show some wear and tear, and mattresses/bedding not very comfortable. Rooms can also get kind of chilly in winter months, so ask for a comforter. From the website and lobby, you might get the impression it's a really luxurious place, but the rooms are nothing special. Event space is good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SPinha
São Paulo
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I stayed at an executive room on the 9th floor, overlooking the sea and the "Beiramar" avenue. That type of room has an excellent 180 degrees view, as you can notice from my uploaded pictures. In fact, upon reservation, the attendant advised me to get the executive room instead of the more expensive junior suite (my first choice), after I mentioned I wanted a privileged view.

The room and the bathroom were spacious and clean, even though I could notice some aged, small stains on the carpet. No big deal, at least for me, as long as the carpet has been washed/cleaned up. Housekeeping never skipped one single day and did an excellent job. Each morning, before I left, I used to leave a R$10 bill on top of the bed and an "Obrigado" ("Thank You") note. The room had complimentary Wi-Fi Internet access, an electronic safe, a fridge (replenished everyday), a large TV set on a rotating support, a sofa and a couch, a body-sized mirror and median closet space. The sunlight used to hit the room straight on late afternoon, but the individual air conditioning system was efficient enough to bring the temperature down quickly.

I agree on some comments below regarding the executive feel of the hotel, which could make you feel uncomfortable when arriving from the beach on sandals and bermudas. The always busy convention space is right next to the main hall elevators, so you easily come across businesspeople on your way to your room. The hotel staff never minded about that, but you get the odd (jealous ?) looks from other guests on their suits and ties, though... I just did not care... If someone told me something, I would have my middle finger ready.

I just wanted a nice, centrally-located hotel in order to minimize time when going either north or south, while at the same time being close to shops and restaurants, and found the Majestic to be the best choice for the package. It is located in front of a large mall, the "Beiramar Shopping", where you have several fast-food options, ATMs, a mini-market and fancy stores. Across a side street, you can find a 24h pharmacy and a 24h convenience store, as well. There are some highly rated restaurants on the Bocaiuva Avenue too, nearby. Check them out on your city guide.

As a piece of advice, let me tell you that when it rains in the city, you might have a hard time finding a taxi, even from a hotel as decent as the Majestic. At one rainy evening, I asked for a taxi at the front desk, and they could not even call one – there were no taxis available on nearby stops (in front of the mall, for instance) and phone lines from taxi dispatch centers kept ringing busy over and over (!), according to the front desk staff, which was very apologetic about it and could not find an alternative to the problem but to shrug shoulders. In my opinion, I think the hotel staff should have more phone number options to call when a guest asks for a taxi, even nearby drivers’ cell phones for that matter. After 30 minutes or so, I ended up, by chance, finding a taxi that had just brought a new guest to the hotel – no one’s merit. Majestic has some designated "executive drivers" on private cars that charge you fixed rates (R$40 to the airport, for example), but it is hard to know if you are paying higher or not, compared to regular taxis.

By mere circumstance, I did not experience the hotel restaurant, so unfortunately I cannot cast an opinion about that. All in all, I was very pleased with the experience. Next time, though, I will definitely rent a car.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank MrPackYourBags
Toronto
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We were in Floripa for a romantic getaway. We were in a room with a balcony that overlooked the bay which was perfect and gorgeous. If we were on the other side of the hotel it would not have been the same experience.
The staff was really helpful and friendly. We rented a car so the location was perfect for touring the Island. We did feel like we were the only "tourists" staying in the hotel as we didn't see one other person coming or going with flip flops and beach gear. I think the hotel is used more for business retreats and conventions, it didn't bother us one bit and we really enjoyed our stay. There are really great restaurants within walking distance and a mall across the street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank acrosstheglobe555
Sao Paulo
Reviewed January 10, 2010

This was the 2nd time I stayed at the Majestic in Floripa, travelling with my wife. Nice and modern room and bathroom. Almost all rooms with a view to the Bay.

Excellent restaurant and breakfast.

It has a very nice pool with an incredible view to the beiramar ave.

Both times the hotel was 50% full and no problems. But it seems like a place appropriate for business´ conventions and companies´events... in that case, better check in advance. The atmosfere we felt may change radically.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple