“Grand Targhee Rocks!”

Grand Targhee Ski Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Alta
More attraction details
Owner description: This resort is located on Teton's gentler west face and features some great powder runs.
Oakland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Grand Targhee Rocks!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed here in December 2011 because it was the only resort that seemed to have a promising snow forecast.

We normally ski in Lake Tahoe (why fly when it's only a 3 hour drive?) but the winter of 2011-2012 had very little snow. So off to Targhee I went for a solo ski trip. My wife is a really, really great person :)

I stayed for two weeks at the onsite Sioux Lodge. The accomodations are basic but who cares? You are right on the mountain and park about 10 yards (if that) from your room. The bed was comfy, in-room sink, microwave, mini-fridge, etc.
It was also quiet. I've stayed a Squaw Valley and have been woken up by the groomers every night sometimes. I did have a corner room in the back so that probably helped. When I booked on the phone the agent set me up with that!

It was a super high value. The staff were all very cool. The (very) small town of Driggs has some nice places. I went to the Irish bar in town to watch a game and it was great. There is a sundries shop onsite for drinks, snacks, food, etc. The Trap Bar is great. I had dinner there many nights. They lock the door early sometimes but then the staff and locals come in or stay as the case may be. I asked if I could stay and soon I was a regular. Got to meet the head chef, head of operations, etc. etc. All really nice people.

The other eating at the resort is good. I splurged on one dinner at the Branding Iron and it was delicious. And I'm from the SF Bay Area :)

Re the mountain - it's really nice. I'm used to bigger places (my favorite is Alpine Meadows at Tahoe) but this place has some nice terrain. Granted, you need to hike to some of it (just like at Alpine) but if you are not into hiking, you can get a LOT of cycles on some very good stuff (some steeps, some trees, some bumps, etc.) I've been skiing for 35+ years and still do 20+ ft cornice drops so have some experience. Just drops, no more jumping since I fractured my hip on a bad landing from a high double daffy many moons ago :)

I talked with a lot of folks about Jackson Hole (which I have skiied) and they said it had much less snow at that time. Also it is now very pricy. Folks from Jackson were coming over to Grand Targhee to ski.

Since there was thin cover I did hack up the bases of my new skis a bit. On the night before I left I dropped them at the pro shop (the staff there were great!) and they had them all freshened up by early the next morning when I had to leave. Very very good work and they were ready for my next trip.

I flew into Idaho Falls and the drive was about 1.5 hours and not over bad terrain. It looks like it could get windy and such but my days were good. The drive from Driggs up to Targhee rises quickly and there was a fair amount of snow on the road. You can also fly into Jackson. The drive is shorter but goes over some higher terrain. I chose Idaho Falls for the price and schedule.

The main negative was that my Sprint cell didn't work! No near tower I guess.

Otherwise, nothing bad I can say.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Tim C

ELK POINT
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Snowcat Experience”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were there after a week of non stop snowing. The snowcat experience was excellent. We had 2 guides with 10 people and they did a great job of keeping us together and taking us on some beautiful and challenging terrain. The downside was the pea soup conditions; which they told us is fairly normal. We had to snake to the bottom, keeping the person in front of you in sight. We stayed on the mountain in the Targhee Lodge. It is dated but clean and comfortable. If you go for the snow, this place won't disappoint.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank jodiskier
driggs
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“the ghee used to cool”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

grand targhee has serious management issues. it would be a cool ski resort if it was run like one. i just got down from a cold saturday in early january. i was gonna call it a groomer day, but they only groomed 6 out of the 12 runs that the ghee can offer when it hasnt snowed for 5 days. you would think they would want to take better care of the weekend warriors and the tourist that spent their hard earned cash on a ski vacation. we all know they dont give a damn about the locals after taking away restricted passes, and taking away vertical value cards. gibbers dont wasnt your time driving up here because there is no real park. see ya

Visited January 2013
5 Thank johniedarkhorse
Loganville, Georgia
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Best View of the Tetons!!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were there in September and took the ski lift to the top. We were greeted with the most spectacular views of the Tetons! As beautiful as the Jackson Hole side is, it didn't compare to this view! Most of the shops and restaurants were closed but that was ok. We were there for the views and they were amazing! The drive down the mountain was rewarded with terrific views of the Teton Valley. We'll be doing this again next time we're there!

Visited September 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great Powder and Skiing, If you only could tell where you are”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I've skied Targhee since the 70's and I've seen a lot of changes both to the resort and the weather patterns. I stayed in the newer
Teewinot Lodge and the rooms were nice and large with plenty of room for you and all you gear. A great view and a large flat screen TV made it all very comfortable and it was a quiet location that was ideal as far as I was concerned. Everything was only a short walk away.

It would have been nice if they had a microwave and a coffee/hot water machine in the lounge area like they have in the registration area in the building next door.

A few years ago they had a problem with the quality of grooming, as I thought it was dangerous because of the high ridges between the passes the groomer made. I assumed the groomers were being driven by people that didn't ski. The grooming now is of high quality, flat, and is much better than the past. Of course they don't groom everything, and that's what makes Targhee so good. You can almost always find some uncut powder somehwere on the mountain, even in the trees. The snow conditions were really great except for one small patch of small rocks on the way down from the top to Sweetwater. If you want a workout, and there are no lift lines, you can easily ski 50,000 vertical feet or more a day, as it only takes 12 minutes to complete a circuit of 2000 vertical feet and be back in the chair again on the high speed quad. Twelve minutes a cycle equals 10,000 an hour. Then like a good athlete you can rehydrate properly with a good micro-brewery beer at the bar.

Skiing Targhee is like being in Las Vegas, it's a geat place, but when you roll the dice, you don't know what your going to get. Skiing inside a cloud of moisture is no fun, especially when you can't even see the groom marks in the snow at your feet. That's the only problem with Targhee, you never know what the visibility will be when you get there. They always get tons of snow, even when I was there just before this Christmas, but the visibility was zero at the top. I went up there a few times but felt uncomfortable as I couldn't see what was in front of me. I ended up skiing the lower part of the mountain.

What would help is if they put a new lift line in from the base to the area just above Sweetwater and Wandering Moose. It seems that most of the cloud bases are just around that area, and the slopes below are clearer. That would allow for more skiers to ski the more fun slopes without having to deal with the zero visibility at the top. That would open up about 180 degrees of slopes. That would also allow them to get more skiing in instead of riding the slower novice chair. Years ago, we didn't see as many socked in days as they have now. It's called climate change.

Overall, Targee is a great place to ski and you can get a lot of vertical feet in a day because of their high speed quad and normally lack of lift lines. You just have to try and pick the right time or days to go there. Go for it!

1 Thank JerryQuill