“Amazing Rio”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rio de Janeiro

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Calgary, Canada
3 helpful votes
“Amazing Rio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I had many concerns before leaving for a 10 day trip to Rio de Janeiro, but on the return flight I could only dream about the amazing time in Rio. It is truly a significant, amazing and beautiful place - not to be missed by any serious traveller.

Yes, there is poverty and yes the crime may be a bit higher than in the Vatican City, but I experienced no problems and never felt any danger whatsoever. I did not even see anything to make me feel uncomfortable.

I stayed in the Ibis Hotel Rio Central, right downtown, and I still felt safe and happy with my decision to not pay the high hotel prices of the beaches. Downtown Rio is a pleasure to explore; it is vibrant and the markets are awesome. There are also amazing buildings with awesome architecture - especially now that the City is investing in infrastructure and renovations for the Olympic Games and Worldcup in 2014 and 2016.

Sugar Loaf Mountain and Christ the Redeemer are woldclass attractions and the view of the city breathtaking. The parks and botanical gardens are exceptional and the beaches, yes the Brazilian beaches......... what more do I have to say.

The only negative point was the language barrier where I struggled a bit to communicate. English is not widely spoken and even my hotel struggled to help me with tourist and travel information. My advice - come pre-prepared with all your travel and tourist information. Although the public transportation is excellent and easy to use, it did take a while to get use to it - especially to communicate where to get off.

The best thing I did was to bring my GPS and city maps - I switched it on in the morning and just went exploring without worrying about getting lost. It saved me many times getting lost and waisting time. With all the mountains in Rio, the City is fragmented and could be a challenge to explore unless you are well prepared with maps and knowledge etc.

The favelas (shanty towns) in Rio is not a problem at all. They are easily identifyable areas to stay away from, unless you do an organize trip.

Don't forget to try the hang gliding...

Otherwise, just have fun.

3 Thank GiyanCalgary_Canada
chicago
4 helpful votes
“tours gone wild Rio de Janerio”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

I used the Tours Gone wild in Rio de Janerio. It was a horrible experience. I was charged way to much by the company. I paid to go to the March Carnival. I asked them well in advance for the dates. They booked me for the last two days of the carnival. Without a explanation. It was an awful experience. I do not recommend them to no one.

4 Thank raydot1
Atl, Ga
1 helpful vote
“The greatest city on Earth...Rio de Janeiro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

I have been traveling all my life and recently after graduating college I have made trips once or twice a year out of the states. Recently, I traveled to Rio with a few buddies for a week just to get away and get some beach time in. Little did we know we were in for the greatest vacation and the most fun any of us have had in a week, and I've spent a week in Cancun, Costa Rica, Key West, Dublin, Honolulu and a few other places known for a great time. We spent most of our time in Ipanema Beach mostly staying in hostels and one night in a hotel. Also, we traveled to Ihla Grande, the big island of the coast of Rio de Janeiro. Every day we woke up around 9, had free breakfast at each place of stay, and hit up the beaches, the many sights to see, and stayed out til 4 or 5 in the morning at the great restaurants and clubs all over Rio. The highlight of the trip for me was meeting a local that had moved to Ipanema from California years ago. He owned a kiosk on the beach and knew all the locals, including guys that worked for him that were from the favela Rocina. One night, he and his guys took us to Rocina. We drank at a few tiny bars and walked around before we all jumped on motorcycle taxi's and flew through the streets of the biggest favela in Rio to the top where we all met for more drinks and great stories. During our stay in Rio we met some of the craziest but fun loving people we have ever met. After arriving back in Atlanta, where we all grew up, my friends and I agreed that was the best vacation any of us have ever had. I highly recommed anyone including families to visit RIo, ecspecially single men. Wink wink
-Travelin Light

1 Thank blangerhans
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1,724 helpful votes
“The most beautiful and exciting place I´ve ever been!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

A great and amazing city in a natural paradise! When travelling abroad you always ask yourself: how would be my life if a lived here? When in Rio, that´s simply impossible not to imagine - and even seriously desire - this possibility! An unique cultural great city, full of wonderful landscapes, nature, entertainement, history, interesting and happy people. About the so called violence in Rio, the risk is slightly higher than usual big cities, but not much more. The most exciting place I´ve ever visit.

3 Thank GUSDALI
leeds
3 helpful votes
“Rio De Janerio is a great city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

We have just returned from a trip to Rio de Janeiro .After reading a lot of blogs and guide books we set off.My advice to anyone going to rio is
1. Dont worry about what to wear anything goes (men do wear trunks but they wear shorts and board shorts also,get a sarong off a beach seller and when going out just be neat and tidy no fuss)
2. You can take cameras on to the beach (just be aware of your surroundings like in any big city)
3.Go on a favela tour its an eye opener
4.Take the yellow cabs they are all on metres,public buses are great and the metro is also good. (we never had a bad experience in any taxi ,metro or bus)
5.All the local beach sellers are trying to earn a living they are polite and will leave you alone if you just say no.
6.Go to lapa for a friday or saturday night ( Rio scenario is a great place with dancing and food in many rooms)
7.Remember its hot put on lots of sun cream.
9.Copacabana and Ipanema are well lit at night and well policed
24/7 you can take a late night drink in any of the bars along the beach front.
10.Take a frase book you will need one as not everyone speaks english .
11.Drink local drinks caipirinha and eat local foods (it will save you a lot of money)
Rio is like any other big city be careful and you will be safe ,people are helpful and friendly and the sun shines daily.
Dont let peoples tales put you off its much safer than depicted in travel books .

10.

3 Thank pops6010

Been to Rio de Janeiro? Share your experiences!