“Expensive by any Standard”
Review of Marius Degustare

Marius Degustare
Reserve with
Marius Degustare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 13,894 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Brazilian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Leme
Description: Fish, seafood restaurant and steakhouse. Brazilian, Mediterranean and South American cuisine.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I am a frequent business traveller and know whats good bad and ugly.
This place although in a fantastic location, with what I would call decent food, the price point was simply outrageous. I had lunch today 13th March 2013.
It was recommended by the Hotel , after I stated , "Please advise a good restaurant that isn't a tourist trap " I will be taking this matter up with the front desk in the morning.
You can get a a high end seafood lunch in London or Manchester UK , or Dubai for what I paid for 1 person.
If the food would have been spectacular , that would have been a different matter.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The decor is unbelievable and just to visit is an experience. Right from the entrance up to the toilets.. The food was very well prepared and the lobster and king shrimp stood out. However, I think it is by far outpriced. We had similar experiences in Brazil ( Sao Paulo ) for a third the price. Secondly - more could be done to supply guests with a menu, or at least a list of what will be served.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Overpriced, meat menu ~ $64, fish menu ~ $88, drinks and dessert not included. On the site of the restaurant Kobe Meat is mentioned, it was one of the reasons we came, but when I asked a manager if we can have it, unfortunately after we have already ordered, the answer was - "no", - "why" asked I, the answer - "because of Carnaval". I am not sure I understand it. Regarding the fish menu, after having some pretty mediocre fish I asked if there are lobsters, it took some time to find if there are, then some time to bring, all we got were pretty little pieces, not really recognizable. Fish menu certainly doesn't worth it - not quality and not the options, meat was very good, however, well overpriced, and also with not too many choices. Don't come there and don't waste your money.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Our $200 US late afternoon lunch was extreme by our usual eating habits. It was worth it for the experience and good food. We could have stayed there all day into the evening if we could only finish everything available. I think the next table grew roots it looked like they were there for the duration. We had to put up a white flag and surrender.

My wife had the unlimited seafood, and I the carnivores' Rodizio of only the best cuts of beef. The unlimited salad bar was included and very very varied. This was perhaps the only time I wished that I could be a 300 pounder and eat it all. Not something I would do everyday but worth the experience.

The decor was extreme and an interesting collection of old junk and nautical gear. I also wanted to see the ice filled urinals with lemon slices that some unwitting person thought were to be used to refresh his face in the men's room. Sure enough there were three large tubs of ice with lemon slices for that purpose. I wonder if anyone ever told him what they were really used for?

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This place is just bad, just bad overall.

When you first walk in your senses are overloaded, from the waiters dressed as pirates to the 200lb bags of stones randomly hanging over your head along with refrigerators, chairs, couches, engine parts, bikes, random stuff one might find at the bottom of the ocean hanging above your head. It looks like Disney dumped all the rejected set pieces from Pirates of the Caribbean to this place and the restaurant decided to make a 3d mosaic on the ceiling.

We were promptly seated, but just as fast as they seated us, they also zip tied my purse to my seat. This is a first, but I guess theft is an issue here. This is a buffet/rodizio type place. The buffet consists of salads, shrimp, oysters, sea urchin, mussels, pastas, soups, etc. Everything under the sun, but they were all mediocre. There are servers dressed as pirates walking around with plates full of lobsters, shrimps, and steaks asking you if you want some. Do not be fooled. If you just want seafood that costs X reais, if you want meat that costs an additional X reais, if you want dessert which is part of the buffet that also costs an additional X reais. We did not know this and thought everything was inclusive in one costs. No wonder why the waiters kept egging us on to try everything. It all adds up fast and is very expensive. Not worth it.

The service was decent but overall the food was mediocre and the decor just really kills your senses. They have a huge gong at the front of the restaurant. Occasionally a guest will actually want to hit the gong and it is loud and resonates through the entire restaurant penetrating your ears. I feel bad for the guests who sit in front of that gong.

At the end after we paid the bill, they did liberate my bag. There are good seafood restaurants in Rio. This is not one of them. I guess you could send someone here as a mean joke, but I would not come back.

1  Thank RudyPie