“Great French / Brazilian fusion”
Review of Olympe

Olympe
Ranked #76 of 13,739 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lagoa
Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

French inspired but with smart use of Brazilian typical ingredients. Very creative and innovative menu. Is expensive but worth it if you can splurge and want a change from the typical Brazilian fare. Wine list is not big but has a variety of international wines that are quite expensive. Desserts are also a hit.
Service is very professional and attentive.
Unquestionably One of the top restaurants In Rio

Date of visit: January 2017
Write a reviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed December 17, 2016

If you want to spend a lot of money on an absolutely overrated restaurant, that is the place. Far far away from the Roanne experience.

I was wondering to write something but the whole stuff was a great mistake, therefore I won't even bother to do so. My carioca friends, watch out!

Ah, lastly, the wine expert tried to sell a portuguese vinho verde (young wine) as a plain white wine...we tried to explain that it was wrong but he was too defensive and arrogant; what a mood! Ahhh, one of the waiters filled my wife half empty wine glass with a different kind of wine from someonelse table!

PS. Be careful they will push hard for the chef menu ($$$$$$)

Date of visit: November 2016
1  Thank Garrincha02
Reviewed December 10, 2016

Fantastic cusine from Chef Claude and his son Thomas are a French family that emigrated first to the USA, then to Brasil fourty years ago. The cooking styles are classic French adapted to the available ingredients. This is a small place with a tiny kitchen producing their masterpieces. The wine list was impressive, and the service was first class. They definitely earned their Michelin star!

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed November 25, 2016 via mobile

First, although the wait staff was courteous and attentive, none spoke any English. They had to grab someone from the kitchen to translate for us. I also agree with a previous review that there were too many servers just standing around. We were the first ones in the restaurant; there was no one else to wait on so we felt like bacteria in a Petri dish because they were all watching our every move.

Second, the food was good, but I expected better because of the Michelin star. I ordered the bacalao, foie gras terrine, sea bass and suckling pig. Bacalao was good, not too salty. The foie gras could have been better if they served it with a brioche toast. Sea bass was ok. I agree with a previous review that the bacon consommé didn't taste like bacon. The suckling pig was tender but the dish needed more acidity for balance. I ended up exchanging dishes with my husband, who ordered the wagyu short ribs. Those were awesome!

I'm giving this place 3 points because the food and service were not commensurate with the price.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed November 1, 2016

If you enjoy good service, creativity, and delicious food, don't waste your money here. If you need a recommendation, go to Lasai instead where you'll actually get impeccable service, as well as truly creative AND great tasting food.

I came here with my boyfriend the night before his birthday after scoping out tripadvisor reviews (which I no longer trust, but here goes mine anyway). Thankfully we saved Lasai for his birthday. They managed to fit us in without a reservation. Because our experiences with food in Rio have been less than stellar, we opted to sample the smaller menu rather than go for their full on chef's tasting, which we were soooo glad we did.

Anyway, we sit down after a short wait, and the staff is pretty friendly. The first guy goes over the menu with us and pushes for the chef's tasting. Ok fine, encouraging it is fine. Once we go to order, the guy REALLY pushes for the chef's tasting. Dude, we don't want it. I've never had someone be so pushy at a michelin star restaurant so that was the first thing that put me off. It was also weird that they had a ton of staff just standing around. It's a small place so it feels weird to be constantly surrounded by so many people.

The food starts coming and you can tell they're trying to be creative with the ingredients. Unfortunately, they fail in execution. I love creative ingredient combinations and often go for the craziest things, and I have never been disappointed, until this place. The lobster in vanilla sauce almost worked but it was missing something. The acai crusted lamb left an unpleasant after taste. By the time the savory courses ended, we were eager to get out of there, but hoped dessert would make up for the rest of the meal. Well, about 20 minutes go by before I decide to ask one of the waiters what is up. He goes into the kitchen to see what's going on but doesn't bother to come back to update us. Another 15 minutes go by and still nothing. I complain again and finally after about 5 minutes the desserts come out. The desserts were nothing to rave about either. As an apology, they bring us a plate with an assortment of baked goods, half of which were stale, so we barely touched them.

On top of that, while their wine list is good, they have a paltry cocktail list. Perhaps my expectations are high, but I have yet to go to a Michelin star restaurant without a decent cocktail list.

Date of visit: October 2016