“One of the best places we have stayed in!”

Casa Cool Beans B&B
Ranked #1 of 341 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 22, 2012

A brilliant choice in Rio. Lance and David are excellent hosts, serving a superb breakfast every morning and helping you plan your day along with giving advise. The advise we found was spot on in terms of places to go and getting to and from them safety.

The rooms are very good too, clean and very comfortable. The artwork is very cool too!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at CCB quite a bit, but I will say that I think the rave reviews are a bit overblown. The duplex room was very spacious and comfortable, very clean and in good condition. The breakfasts were very good. Lance is an excellent host, extremely helpful. But this is not a five-star property -- it's a very nice small inn in a fairly run down and somewhat inconvenient neighborhood.

Santa Teresa is an interesting neighborhood. I loved looking at the decayed mansions. There is a street with about 10-15 nice restaurants and bars. But this is not charming and elegant Greenwich Village. It's up a steep, long hill from the rest of Rio. Taxi drivers typically have never heard of the street the inn is on. The Rio residents I talked to wondered why I was staying in this neighborhood. All of Rio is a taxi ride away, at least. If you are interested in going to the beach, you can do it, but the beaches are not convenient. I also stayed in Ipanema, which was a much better location. I could see maybe visiting Santa Teresa for a few hours, but this isn't a great location to stay in.

I would add, Lance, get that scary artwork off the wall! I have included a photo so everyone can see -- the two colorful ladies. Check it out. It's huge (5 feet high?) and looms over the bed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
WashingtonDCLance, Owner at Casa Cool Beans B&B, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Thank you for your review! We know that Santa Teresa is not for everyone...:) The overwhelming response of our guests and the thousands who stay at all the other wonderful guesthouses in Santa Teresa is that they would not stay anywhere else.

But some facts for those people wondering about distances:
Ipanema to Sugar Loaf = 9 KM
Santa Teresa to Christ/Corcorvado = 11 KM
Ipanema to Centro (Museums/Cultural) = 14 KM
Santa Teresa to Centro (Museums/Cultural) = 2 KM

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had a short but wonderful stay at CCB. I was on the last few days of exploring the Mata Atlantica in Brazil and wanted to explore Rio in just 2 days. Lance was extremely helpful with advice and recommendations, knowing I had such little time. The breakfasts were light and refreshing, especially since it was so warm. The room was clean with ample space to spread out. Overall, a wonderful place to relax and enjoy Rio. Santa Teresa is a great neighborhood (Bar do Gomez is a must for their caipirinhas and appetizers) away from the busy humanity of the beach areas. Get well Mousse, and I hope to see you guys in the future on a longer stay to this magnificent part of Brasil.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2012

After our first night in Ipanema, my friend and I moved over Casa Cool Beans so we could explore another part of Rio - and it was one of the best decisions we made during our time in Brazil! Lance and David were incredibly welcoming and helpful, our room was beautiful and comfortable with amazing views of Santa Teresa. I really can't say enough wonderful things about this B&B. I've recommended it repeatedly to friends, and will certainly stay there again if I find myself back in Brazil.

Room Tip: The views from the rooms on the higher floors are amazing...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I really don't know what I can add to the other reviews here. Casa Cool Beans might be the best B&B in the world, let alone Rio! The place is wonderful in the great neighbourhoud of Santa Teresa. There's lots to see nearby and loads of little cafes and bars to stroll to.

But this is not why Casa Cool Beans is so wonderful. It's because of the hosts, David and Lance and their helpfulness, attention to detail and their love of Rio. Oh and let's not forget to mention their sense of style.

We stayed for ten days and could have moved in! We've been home a week or two and are already planning our next visit. If visiting Rio, this is the place to stay. Hell, go just to meet the owners!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to stay at Casa Cool Beans on my first (and surely not last) trip to Brasil. To be honest, I picked Casa Cool Beans for 2 main reasons...it was the number 1 pick on TripAdvisor and the owners spoke English. From the moment of arrival until checkout both Lance and David couldn't have been better hosts, and judging by other reviews it is clear to see that they know what they are doing and are the true key to the success of their business. With a relaxed, informed, and inquisitive demeanor, they both kept me informed on things to do, places to avoid, and honest discussions of the hidden treasures of being in another country. The grounds were extremely well-maintained, and my room was comfy, cozy, impeccably clean, and stylish. Every day it was cleaned to the utmost. The location in Santa Teresa is ideal, as everything is within walking distance, yet it is quiet and safe. The only thing missing was the bonde (trolley), which the whole neighborhood misses. I appreciated all of the advice, the clean and stylish grounds, and the reasonableness in price. My only regret was that I didn't stay longer!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 5, but peeking in a couple of the other rooms revealed that they are of similar hig...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2012

It's rare to find a B&B so highly rated on Trip Advisor, and I was skeptical that the experience could be so good. But my stay did live up to expectations. I haven't traveled solo much, and was a bit nervous about coming to Rio after hearing about safety issues. Lance and David were very welcoming, making me feel truly at home. They were also very good about pointing out safe areas of the city to walk in and helping me plan out my day. The room was basic and cozy but was very professionally presented, with excellent soap (a full-sized bar!) and shampoo, nice thick towels, and plenty of printed information.

If I could change one thing about the property, I would add thicker curtains to the rooms. When the lights are on, you can definitely see figures through the doors, which did impact privacy. Hopefully, the owners will be able to consider making this change.

Furthermore, although the praise for Casa Cool Beans is well deserved, it's worth pointing out to potential guests that this place is in the hills of Santa Theresa, located closer to the central area than to the beach areas. For me this was perfect, as I loved the area and am not a huge beach person, but if you are looking to spend every day on the sand, this may not be the best idea.

The bottom line is that Lance and David know exactly what they're doing, both from the business side (providing a great property and delivering good value) and from the hospitality side. I find that B&Bs often do well in one of these areas, but fall short in the other. I am grateful to have found a place that put a priority on both, and I will certainly be back when I return to Rio one day.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo