“A true gem in Rio”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Waterbury, Connecticut
“A true gem in Rio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to stay at Casa Cool Beans on my first (and surely not last) trip to Brasil. To be honest, I picked Casa Cool Beans for 2 main reasons...it was the number 1 pick on TripAdvisor and the owners spoke English. From the moment of arrival until checkout both Lance and David couldn't have been better hosts, and judging by other reviews it is clear to see that they know what they are doing and are the true key to the success of their business. With a relaxed, informed, and inquisitive demeanor, they both kept me informed on things to do, places to avoid, and honest discussions of the hidden treasures of being in another country. The grounds were extremely well-maintained, and my room was comfy, cozy, impeccably clean, and stylish. Every day it was cleaned to the utmost. The location in Santa Teresa is ideal, as everything is within walking distance, yet it is quiet and safe. The only thing missing was the bonde (trolley), which the whole neighborhood misses. I appreciated all of the advice, the clean and stylish grounds, and the reasonableness in price. My only regret was that I didn't stay longer!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 5, but peeking in a couple of the other rooms revealed that they are of similar hig...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

It's rare to find a B&B so highly rated on Trip Advisor, and I was skeptical that the experience could be so good. But my stay did live up to expectations. I haven't traveled solo much, and was a bit nervous about coming to Rio after hearing about safety issues. Lance and David were very welcoming, making me feel truly at home. They were also very good about pointing out safe areas of the city to walk in and helping me plan out my day. The room was basic and cozy but was very professionally presented, with excellent soap (a full-sized bar!) and shampoo, nice thick towels, and plenty of printed information.

If I could change one thing about the property, I would add thicker curtains to the rooms. When the lights are on, you can definitely see figures through the doors, which did impact privacy. Hopefully, the owners will be able to consider making this change.

Furthermore, although the praise for Casa Cool Beans is well deserved, it's worth pointing out to potential guests that this place is in the hills of Santa Theresa, located closer to the central area than to the beach areas. For me this was perfect, as I loved the area and am not a huge beach person, but if you are looking to spend every day on the sand, this may not be the best idea.

The bottom line is that Lance and David know exactly what they're doing, both from the business side (providing a great property and delivering good value) and from the hospitality side. I find that B&Bs often do well in one of these areas, but fall short in the other. I am grateful to have found a place that put a priority on both, and I will certainly be back when I return to Rio one day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We just checked out this morning and I'm already missing Casa Cool Beans (CCB). This place really is like heaven in Rio. We stayed 4 nights with Lance and David and I cannot say enough great things. They are so helpful and friendly. They really want to make sure you have a great stay at CCB and a wonderful time in Rio. They are even better than a five star hotel with their concierge service the way they help call a taxis, give directions and tips, help book tours, and even cook a first class breakfast. In addition, Santa Teresa is a very sweet community. My husband and I felt very safe walking the streets both at night and during the day. If you have any concerns Lance will give you a complete run down of what areas are safe and which are not in Rio. We stayed in the 1st floor bedroom that has a loft. It was very comfortable and impeccably clean!!!!!! The sheets and towel were both wonderfully soft, fresh, and clean.

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Casa Coolbeans is a great place to stay, particularly for first time visitors to Rio. It is located in the lovely, arty hillside suburb of Santa Theresa, which is located just up from Lapa, the main suburb for Salsa fans. The main downside of staying in Santa Theresa (at least until the tram is up and running again) is the need to use cabs to get around town - one unscrupulous cab driver took us the 'long way round' back to Casa Coolbeans, meaning the final tarrif was double what it should have been.

The Casa Coolbeans team are fantastically helpful, taking all the time you need to plan your trip to Rio, as well as providing advice about how to get around. They were also very helpful in other ways eg helping me get a yellow fever vaccination and providing an adaptor in the room for the new Brazilian power points (but you still need to bring your own - it adapts new to old Brazilian power points).

Why not 5 out of 5? Just to be a bit different :) Also, I'm sure there must be some improvement somewhere they could make? I'm just not sure what it could be!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kylie F
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Rio is an intoxicating place, a heady brew of sights, sounds, dangers and exhilarating experiences. Selecting a place to stay is absolutely key to getting the  most out of your stay there, especially for first time visitors. Our criteria were simple - visit the beaches but not stay in the madness (because we come from a country that already has a strong beach culture), experience the old, original  and cool Rio , have a space to savor Rio in relative calm after sorties across town, enjoy hospitality that would make our stay an even better one (especially since we were there for 7 days) AND be reasonably safe. So, we chose Santa Teresa as the standout area to stay (lovely old buildings, intriguing streetscapes, cool bars, vibrant locals and safe streets).  We then had the amazing fortune to land a room at Casa Coolbeans (CCB). This place is absolutely perfect. It is the top Trip Adviser  rated Guesthouse in Rio, and richly deserved.  It spills over 3+ levels in an old house that has been converted into a small hotel. Each room has a separate entrance and ours was very spacious with wooden floors, shuttered windows, cool artwork and a modern well appointed bathroom including the novelty of facewashers (some fly wire on the bathroom louvres might be an idea guys). The AC and wifi work really well, and we even braved the lovely pool even though the water was a tad chilly. Breakfasts are simple but fresh and fulsome, with cooked to order eggs if you want. It is easy to get into the city by walking down to the Metro at Gloria and then getting the 014 bus or a taxi back. But the thing that really sets CCB apart are the owners and staff. Lance and David (owners) are cool dudes and go out of their way to make your stay as though you are part of the CCB family. We loved the Lance 'stare' as we discussed our daily travel plans and got that knowing advice that we might want to do stuff another way round! We arrived on my birthday, and the guys had a chilled bottle of sparkling rose in the room fridge for a toast. You kinda know when stuff like that happens that you are onto something special.  Sergio (manager) and all the staff at CCB get a huge thank you for great service, customer care and a truly welcoming approach. Lance and David - you guys are brilliant at what you do and if we could rate CCB at 6 out of 5 we would! So everyone, if your recipe for visiting Rio is like ours then make a bee line for CCB. If you are truly lucky enough to get a room there then ENJOY and truly savor Rio.  We really hope that Mousee the CCB doggie makes a full recovery from recent surgery, we were sorry that we missed him.  Frankly, we were really reluctant to leave, but that is the tyranny of travel!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Goldrichie
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

There ought to be a rating better than excellent and standing higher than Number 1 for what Lance, David, Sergio and the staff of Casa Cool Beans provide their guests.

My wife, son and I booked three nights based on the recommendation of friends who had visited Rio and stayed at CCB numerous times. Our friend's praise was high, but our experience was even better than we expected. From our first inquiry about availability to our departure they could not do enough for us. Room 1 where we stayed was large (with a loft for the second bed), clean and comfortable. The location in Santa Teresa, and the décor inside and out are outstanding. The breakfast is fresh and good. And Mousse is one handsome dog.

I have never bothered to post a review before for anywhere I have stayed and I could go on and on, but the point is – I do not believe that you will find a better place to stay when visiting Rio de Janeiro. Stop reading reviews and make the decision to book Casa Cool Beans now!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sileraw
Verona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

What a Delight…
Casa Cool Bean is truly a place that gives you great
pleasure and enjoyment.

The morning wake-up at Casa Cool Bean was always,
easy like Sunday morning. The bright East sun,
entered the carefully decorated room with earth
tone colors, (when the shutters were open)
creating a crisp delight of serenity.

The breakfast meal continued with a melody of
enjoyment. Thanks to David, Lance and Staff,
every morning, a different fresh juices and fruit
was served that compliment the Brazilian culture.
The attention to detail was a constant, always
colorful flowers on the table and around the Pousada.

The viewing of the humming bird and yellow bird,
by the decorated garden area was such a great
pleasure and joy.

You could always count on suggestion from Lance and David.
One-on-one guide to the varies events, sightseeing and
must see events. One of our many highlight was visiting
the Samba School at Salgueiro. Thanks, to David and Lance.

The location of Casa Cool Bean allowed visiting the
Bistro, another delightful experience, nightly.

Casa Cool Bean was delightful from the beginning
until the last minute as David and Lance walk
us to the cab to say goodbye and you must come
back to visit us again at Casa Cool Bean.

I am planning to visit again soon.

Room Tip: I did get a chances to visit other rooms, but I would stay in the same room, Unit #4
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends