“Not the cleanest place, quantity over quality is king!”
Review of Braseiro da Gavea

Braseiro da Gavea
Ranked #37 of 14,116 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Barbecue, Brazilian, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lagoa
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a traditional local hangout. Almost every night you see clusters of people hanging out in this Gávea institution, having their chopp. They are well known for their grilled "picanha", a Brazilian cut of lean beef. The portions are big and should be shared. This is more of a quantity than quality kind of place. There is a large outdoor area, which is much more inviting than the indoors. Usually people will wait longer for a table outside. This is a gritty and somewhat dirty and unkempt kind of place. On my last visit I got sick from their food, so probably I won’t go back any time soon … maybe just for a chopp.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This a small busy brasserie in Gávea. As an American visiting in Rio knowing no Portugese at all, I would never have dared to go to such a place. Fortunately, a native friend took a group of us.

It was filled with Cariocas having fun. Great food, great drinks. A great experience.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We went there after reading some good reviews, therefore we had high expectations. The food is just average. The picanha and the sausages were good, but the sides not that great. The broccoli rice was a bit greasy, french fries tasted liked they were done with overly used oil. Again - decent but not that great.

1  Thank cpdc99
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

We arrived with no reservation on a Saturday night 8.30pm and were seated instantly. With 3 mins if being seated we had a sausage on our plate and a cold beer in our hand! Of course the menu is full Portuguese so we ordered via previous reviews. The steak was cooked beautifully and was so tasty, I don't get the whole idea of the toasted manioc flour but tried it. We ordered a 1/2 salad as all the accompanying sides were heavy ie. chips, rice and manioc so meal felt stodgy and heavy without it. Good local atmosphere. When we were ready to leave and had paid the bill we asked the waiter to break down the change so we could leave a tip however he took the whole amount! We left it at that save the embarrassment but just a tip for you to carry smaller denominations if you want to tip?!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I jumped a taxi literally across town and the taxi fare there and back was nearly the restaurant bill...but boy am I glad that I did. I was starting to get a bit disheartened about true Brazilian food (mind you my taste buds are still recovering from Curitiba) when I read this review on tr advisor I thought-i need to go-once again it seems that I was the only gringo and boy was this place packed. As a solo traveller I made the mistake of ordering non simple-tooooooo large-but really tasty. The waiter spoke minimal inglese and didn't bother to try and help even tho he knew I was eating solo. But...the food was fantastic, the atmosphere was jumping and the streets around this were packed and partying-if you want to see Rio de Janerios in their element this is the place-and the food is great-or did I already mention that?