“Best Japanese restaurant in Rio, period.”
Review of Azumi

Azumi
Ranked #402 of 13,883 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Copacabana
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Azumi is one of the most authentic Japanese restaurants I've ever been to in my life. It's a family business. They serve nothing but amazing fresh comfort food. If you want to eat sushi and sashimi, go to a churrascaria. Just don't be afraid to try new things here, they have an extensive menu and everything I had was top notch.
The ambiance is not the greatest if you're not sitting in one private spaces where they have a mat and a big low table, which is totally awesome btw. But who cares, the food is so good that I could be sitting on the floor and I wouldn't mind.
It's definitely on the pricey side but well worth it, in my opinion.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Very good and fresh fish in the most traditional Japanese stile, where we tried some kinds of fishes that we have never tasted before.
It's quite expensive ( approximately RS$ 170 per person, drinking water and beer) and this is our only negative comment about the restaurant.
The service is quick and polite, the restaurant is simple, but very clean.
Once in a while it's ok to go there.
As already mentioned in previous comments, it' absolutely necessary to book the table, since the restaurant is small.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

After all the Brazilian "pay as you eat" meals, Azumi was a refreshing change for our palette. Authentic Japanese restaurant which is well situated just off Copacabana beach and the presence of Japanese chefs and waitresses is an assurance that the food cannot be that bad. Try the huge sashimi & sushi platters. 43 pieces for 110R and 60 pieces for 160R. Definitely a good deal for sashimi and sushi.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We went to Azumi on Thursday with a co-worker and I'm pleased to say that we had an excelent dinner.
There is a great variety of fish tuna, salmon, and some white fish which I didn't know their names, very traditional preparations (if you are looking for fashion sushi go somewhere else). We order a 42 pieces of sushi which was full of sashimi and not too much rice pieces (I believe that this is the best combination since you are paying for fish and it's not like those "sushi" places where they stuff you with rice), in addition, we order an appetizer which was a mix of shrimp, scallion and egg all fried tempura style. We complete the meal with some traditional Japanese beer but I wished to try the sake instead.
About the service, it was very kind and attentive, we arrived at 8:30 and we had to wait 15' to get a table (the place was crowded so arrive early). We got a table at the "basement" which was nice (It's a traditional sushi place, don't expect nothing very fancy) and the waitress did her best to help us to understand the menu (we don't speak Portuguese and she did not speak spanish or english).
I read some reviews of this place which were bad and I strongly disagree with them or they just have bad luck (sometimes happens in any restaurant, even in the best 10 starts restaurant). To summarize, I would say, great food, traditional preparation, nice staff, decent decoration, a bit expensive but not too much taking into consideration the quality of the food.
Definitely a place to visit once or twice every time you come to Rio.

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Great place with good food. Love it. I raccomanded..... the service is great....you must make a reservations. If you are in Rio must go.
Thanks