“Contemporary Asian Cuisine In Rio At Opium”
Review of Opium

Opium
Ranked #410 of 13,783 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Thai, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ipanema
New York City, New York
“Contemporary Asian Cuisine In Rio At Opium”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Ok, so, after you get over the awkward choice of names for an Asian restaurant, Opium in Ipanema is a great choice if you’re looking for Asian cuisine from many of the continent’s countries. The aesthetic here is clean and sleek, and the food ranges from sushi, to noodles, to curry.

To start, I had a drink. No, not Oolong or Green tea, sorry. I went for a typical Brazilian cocktail, a Caipirinha (cachaça, sugar and lime). I’ve had these before in the States, but ended up drinking quite a few of these in different spots around Brazil. You know, research, you have to see who’s making them best. Opium’s was pretty good, not too, too sweet, but a bit strong. Success.

Next, I ordered Miso Soup (soy paste, tofu, seaweed and chives). A very standard Japanese starter, pretty hard to mess up, and this one did not disappoint.

Then for my entree, I ordered Phat Ma Maung Him Ma Pan (braised shiitake mushrooms and vegetables in a mild sauce, covered with toasted cashew nuts, pineapple cubes and coriander with jasmine rice). I really liked this dish a lot. It was different from other stir fries that I’ve had, this one on the sweet side with a really nice glaze. The veggies were really bountiful, I loved the crunch from the cashews, and I especially liked the raisins that also added that natural sweetness.

You can read my full review with photos at http://sprungonfood.com/2014/08/08/opium/

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Good Breakfast”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have dined here a number of times both for breakfast and dinner. The sushi is fresh, steaks were cooked to order, and good service. Large assortment of fruits for breakfast, eggs, and several types of bread.

Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Asian delight”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This surprised us as a better than average Pan-Asian just off Ipanema Beach. We had enjoyable Japanese, Chinese and Indian dishes in a relaxed, easy going setting (all served while Brazil were playing Columbia in the World Cup). The food pleasantly exceeded our expectations and I would happily recommend it to people coming off the beach or staying round the corner. Good option.

Dallas, Texas
“Good Japanese Food in a Great Location”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had dinner and watched a world cup match on the TVs in the place. The dinner was sashimi with soup and rice. It was delicious and fresh. The price was a little high, but this area is very expensive, and - really - you can't get sashimi any cheaper in the US. My meal with two caipirinha drinks and a bottle of water was about R$110 - around $50. There was plenty of sashimi - tuna, salmon, white fish and octopus. The presentation was beautiful. The location is great, as stated before, attached to the Ipanema Plaza Hotel and on a VERY popular street, just one block from one of the best urban beaches in the world. It has plenty of interior seating and a wrap-around patio that was covered, as it was raining that day. I sat inside and was very comfortable. I will go back next time I am in Ipanema.

Adelaide, Australia
“Expensive for what you get, good food all the same”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a quick snack at Opium

The service was excellent, as was the food. We had some dumplings and assorted snacks

Portion size was on the smaller side and the flavour was great

If money isn't an issue try this place out. Obviously a favorite for local business meetings for people whose company picks up the cheque. About 20% above what you'd expect to pay

Again the quality was better than most restaurants in Ipenema we visited