“overpriced and overcheesey”

Eccellenza Pizzaria
Ranked #365 of 13,664 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Botafogo
London, United Kingdom
“overpriced and overcheesey”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Having seen a good write up in the Rough Guide we decided to try this place in Botafogo. It was ridiculously expensive -approx £20 for a pizza and not even that good. We were expecting thin crispy pizzas but the bases were soggy and the main ingredient of the topping was cheese which made the pizzas far too rich. Due to the price we decided to share 3 pizzas amongst 5 of us but due to the large amount of cheese we didn't manage to even finish these.
Extremely disappointing. We won't go back.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Gabrielle G

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Pizza was ok but very expensive, wont be back”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This review refers to the new Ipanema location-

The space is nice, modern and new and creates a nice atmosphere. The service was good. I ordered the beef carpaccio and it was pretty good, I recommend it. My wife got the salmon bruschetta and she thought it was ok but i thought it was terrible- the salmon was extremely fishy tasting. We shared the parma pizza which costs 61 reais- 30 bucks for a pizza! It better be a damn good pie for $30. My wife thought it was good, I thought it was ok but pretty much every pizza on the planet is at least ok. The crust is thicker than I like and its probably done that way in order to support the pound of cheese they put on it. I couldn't even taste the parma because there was so much cheese on it and it just overpowered everything else. Ended up being a $30 gut bomb. There are better options in this city at better prices- see fiametta or capricciosa. My wife said she would go back and thats fine, it just wont be with me!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Esmjb
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,726 helpful votes
“Good but small pricey pizza in a tight place. We expected more.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Good but small pricey pizza in a tight place. We can say we expected much more, both in terms of environment and food. In terms of food, we liked the mushroom pizza we´ve ordered, it was quite tasty, but the small size really surprised us negatively!

Though it is a noisy and small place, with tables too much close one to another, we had a reasonable time there, thanks to the good and attemptive team of staffs.

In general, it can be summarized as "good, but small, tight and pricey: both the place and the pizza."

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank GUSDALI
NY
“Good pizza, original flavors”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Take your time to go through the menu - the pizza flavors here are far from the conventional. Try the one with four different jams (malbec, pepper and 2 others I fail to remember). The restaurant has some tables upstairs which are somewhat hidden. And if you do not care for calories or fat, try the bread!

• Visited April 2013
@los angeles
“Fooled me”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

On a dark secluded street in Ipanema, this Pizza parlor sits looking like an oasis for hungry travelers. Oh, but that it was so.
They have a nice little wood burning oven and a modern looking dining room with all the little extras. That's about it.
The pizza was terrible with a thick and tasteless crust and insufficient toppings. The sauce has no kick-zing-acid which the tomato must supply and the cheese has never seen Italy or even heard of it.
Look for the big 3:
Bad food
Poor service
High price
The pizzas run from $18-25(US) for the small size which I'm glad I had. The Coke was good.
Like many an oasis, this one was only a mirage- que lastima.

• Visited March 2013