“What a wonderful experience!”

Gavea Tropical Boutique Hotel
Ranked #188 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Waterford, Ireland
“What a wonderful experience!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a short but incredible holiday in Rio.
If you have any mobility problems, this is unlikely to be the hotel for you as there are lots of steps. Other than that, the place is sheer magic! The rooms are unique, we were lucky enough to have the suite, but the views from all the rooms, day and night, have to be seen to be believed. The hotel is a taxi ride from the beaches, but the surroundings are just fabulous. Christ the Redeemer to the left, sea ahead and more tree covered hills to the right, tall papaya trees outside the window, lovely friendly little monkeys who will gently take slices of banana from your hand! Lovely breakfast on the veranda...what more could a person want? The staff, led by Raniere are exceptional and so, so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Raniere's advice was well worth taking and added hugely to our enjoyment of the holiday. When Louise discovered that I was being devoured by mosquitos, she sprayed the room, closed the shutters and provided me with repellent!
Would I go back again? In a flash. Couldn't recommend the place more!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Joananne3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Beautiful place to stay in Rio - a bit further from the beach than hotels in Ipanema, Leblon, and Copacabana, but it makes the place feel much more like a retreat. It backs up in to the forest so it stays nice and cool. The monkeys are just as adorable as they seem in the pictures. Breakfast was nice, a typical continental style breakfast like we'd seen elsewhere on our trip. The manager, Rainier, was very friendly and spoke English very well. The room itself was lovely, we stayed in Room 1 and the view was fantastic. Shower had good water pressure and the bed was cozy. My only qualm was that the toilet wasn't separated off from the rest of the room. It had walls around it, but the top was open so my newlywed husband had to listen to be everything I had to pee in the middle of the night!

Room Tip: Go for Room 1 - the presidential suite has the best view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajeancompton
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Personal attention from A to Z! The Room was sophisticated and dreamlike. We fealt like we were in a tree house secluded only by nature. Very jungle esque. Some adorable monkeys greeted us, we checked our msgs. with phones/tablets on the deck, could see Christ the Redeemer in the distance! The beach, shopping just 5 minutes away and scrumptious breakfast with all the trimmings each morning on the veranda.

Room Tip: only 7 rooms, all divine. Book early!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed at Gavea Tropical Boutique Hotel for our honeymoon in July 2012. Needless to say the Presidential Suite (Room #1) offers the same splendid view offered on the hotel's site. The breakfast included is not your typical continental bkfast, it is far more than that and worth getting up in the morning to savor. You can feed the monkeys sliced bananas! (macacao)

The staff: Ranieri, Marcelo, Matias, Luiza, Tatiana, Eleinha, and John were formidable and made our stay very pleasant. The Hotel's proximity to the beaches of Leblon and Ipanema made it very easy for us to enjoy Rio de Janeiro. Since it is situated just ten minutes away from the beaches, the fact the property is situated in a private condo owned and housing real estate made it rather easy for us to commute back and forth during all hours of the day.

In short, we could not have asked for a more pleasant hotel to enjoy our honeymoon. You will not be disappointed...

-Mr. & Mrs. H
New York, NY

Room Tip: There are only 6 rooms in the entire hotel, balcony included. You cannot go wrong with a presidenti...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed here for a week just before Carnival earlier this month. I was immeditately impressed with the level of service and care and attention to detail. The hotel is a little out of the way of the main drag, but for me that was exactly what I wanted. The hotel manager is fantastic and went out of his way to ensure I had everything I needed, from excellent wifi connection to a hammock on the balcony. He arranged transport for me to get into the main part of Gavea (which actually only takes 5-10 minutes in the car) and further afield (approximately 15 - 20 minutes into Leblon) and I found this to be reasonably priced.
I was there on business, so I didn't get to do too many of the fun things there are to do around the city, but had a wanted to the hotel staff would have been more than happy to arrange things and offer honest advice on the best / most cost effective way of doing them. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and hope to go back one day to see the monkeys! (they were a little shy while I was there)

Room Tip: Only 5 or 6 rooms and all have lovely views over the city, including Christ the Redeemer, which is l...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SeeEBee
antwerp, belgium
Reviewed November 22, 2011

beginning of October I stayed again for 12 days at Gavea tropical. And it was as amazing as the first time. This time I even had every day by breakfast the company of the little monkey's that live in the forest in the neighbourghood of gavea tropical. a real show everyday. there so cute! like last time again staff was very attentive and nice and everything was perfect. the weather was not as nice as last time but well, you're in RIO so who cares .On request they also organise dinner for you and it is really good. loved the chicken stroganoff.
I hope I can come again soon to have my dream come true part 3

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank pascale39
US
Reviewed March 21, 2010

The hotel is near Ipanema Beach in a secluded, quiet location. It is also adjacent to Rocinha, and a member of the staff took us on a tour, but we never felt unsafe (another reviewer said that s/he worried about this). A car and driver are available for excursions for the same price (or better) than a taxi, and the owners John and Elaine are very kind and helpful - Elaine helped us find tickets to the Sambadromo for the same day (during Carnaval) when everyone told us that was impossible! Lavish breakfast served on the terrace.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple