“Great atmosphere even better food!”

Zaza Bistro Tropical
Ranked #54 of 14,183 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ipanema
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Zaza is a lovely restaurant. We sat on the top floor. You have to remove your shoes and you sit on the floor or on a very low bench. Not great for those with limited mobility, but I loved it. The food was delicious. I had the beet risotto with goat cheese. May be the best dish I've ever eaten. My only complaint is that they're not great with allergies. My niece is allergic to nuts and we let them know. They served her dessert with crushed nuts sprinkled on the side.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,849)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Zaza had great food and ambience. I booked a reservation for six people online a few weeks in advance. They were very accommodating and kept our outdoor table open even though our party was late. We tried several dishes on the menu and they were all very good. I particularly liked the lamb dish. There was also an extensive cocktail menu with a lot of unique and tasty drinks. I will definitely be coming back here if I am ever in Rio.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

It's a small restaurant in a nice area of Ipanema. It is very well decorated and has a great atmosphere. They have an excellent choice of dishes (not too many); the food is just perfect.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We ordered two fish dishes and they were both very salty. I love salty food, but this was at an unhealthy level of salt. Don't order the fish! We also ordered the sample trio appetizer, which was fine. The drinks are also ok, but nothing to write home about. We were seated outside at the end of the terrace, so it was hard to get the staff's attention, especially when no one makes an effort to look up/around when they walk the floor.

I'd go here for the atmosphere, not for the food nor drinks.

Rio_For_Partiers, Public Relations Manager at Zaza Bistro Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Hi CL,
we are sorry your experience at Zaza did not live up to your expectations. The restaurant owners were the first to remove salt from the kitchen 10 years ago, hence we do have a "the least salt possible" policy amongst our chefs, so we are surprised your fish dishes had that extra sprinkle. We are sorry for that, as we ourselves try to limit our salt intake.
As for our drinks, do ask the maitre D` for their suggestions as they always have new concoctions, as well as Zaza famous classics like the Caipi Serrote, made from cachaca, iced-mollases and a sugar cane stick to munch on (instead of celery on a Bloddy Marry).

Try us again!

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

A must visit... The earlier the better as I think you'll be going back for more. Food is delish and very modern. I had the Niçoise salad + the grilled fish and they were amazing. The fish was served on a bed of sweet plantains that was amazing.