“The perfect place to stay in Rio”
Review of Casa Beleza

Casa Beleza
Ranked #2 of 337 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in Casa Beleza for three nights and it was exactly what we'd hoped for. A cute room in a beautiful villa with a lush garden in the lovely and quiet Santa Teresa neighbourhood. The hosts were super nice and very helpful, making sure we had everything we needed. They also organized little tours for us and we got some special insights to the city thanks to our very nice tour guide. Casa Beleza certainly lives up to its name.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Truly enjoyed our stay during carnival, the hostess was gracious & accommodating & the facilities never missed a beat. The breakfasts with fresh juice daily are the bomb. They keep a close watch over the intimate local & before you know it you are sucked right in to a home away from home - in a very romantic jet setter sence. Top notch!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Loved staying at Casa Beleza, loved meeting Bindu. This truly is a special place, and it was a haven away from the craziness that is Rio during Carnival. The building is beautiful and clean, the greens are lush and lovely, and the breakfast was the best I've ever had at a hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Bindu is the perfect host - sharp as a tack and highly informative - in this perfect pousada in a super quiet setting. The house the feel of a 1930s Hollywood stars home. Pool just the right size, super quiet area and breakfast includes best cake we had in Rio.

Perfect choice for quiet, elegant stay in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank RoaminJoe
casabeleza, Owner at Casa Beleza, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

It was our pleasure to watch you both embrace the Carioca lifestyle with such vigour - football, samba, praia and caipirinhas! Thanks for your kind words, hope your work will bring you back soon!
Beijos,
Bindu and Antoine

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The booking was very easy and we even took the offer of Bindu for the transfer Airport - Casa Beleza. The welcoming of Bindu and her husband was great, the place is wonderful, with a swimming pool, in Santa Teresa which is an old quarter of Rio, with old mansions, sublim. She booked for us tickets for the sanbodromo, and a chauffeur for the day after to visit Rio in a private car. Breakfast is more than excellent, fresh fruit etc. She gave us advice about Rio, what to do.. Go there, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our trip started off at a conference in Barra so arriving at Casa Beleza in Santa Teresa really felt like the start of our holiday. We were welcomed with a delicious Caipirinha in their beautiful garden and very helpful information on the local area and how to find our way around. Bindu is a fantastic host. Very friendly and originally from Canada so communication was easy! It was very hot during our stay so it was lovely to be able to hang out under a shady tree in the garden and swim in the pool. Breakfast was delicious and slightly different every day. There's a great bar at the end of the street called Bar Do Gomes which has delicious empanadas and other snacks (which I became completely addicted to!) and Santa Teresa is a very bohemian, pretty neighbourhood to wander around. You're also within walking distance of the exciting nightlife in Lapa. I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you're visiting as a couple they have a cute bungalow separate from the main house with great...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have travelled to 82 countries and in the selection of accomodations Trip advisor is usually my bible.I almost always select one of their top-rated hotels or B and B s. How this place can be rated number 3 in Rio is. unbelievable. I do not write many comments because usually my views are consistent with most opinions,
I had booked and prepaid 7 days during the Carnival festivities. After 4 days I moved to The Best Western in Impanema, forfeited $1000 deposit, and for $50 per night more I was across from the beach on the 11th floor in a beach-view room. The hotel had every conceivable amenity including full-time reception, a very spacious room,two closets, a very comfortable king-sized bed, a powerful air-conditioner,safe deposit in the room,great lighting, smoke detector, TV, mini-bar, towels changed daily etc. The service was great,restaurant and bar open until mid-night and Impanema and its many restaurants and pubs around the corner.
As for Casa Beleza the good news that the managers Bindu and Antoinr are teriffic and very accomodating. Their two children are adorable, the wo large turtles, are cute and their dog, Bob is very friendly.
The bad news is: Csa Beleza is very isolated. 10 to 40 minute walk up and down hills to to get to restaurants and bars. During Carnival time I was almost stranded in the city because taxis would not go to Santa Teresa because of Carnival crowds.
I stayed in the bungalow which is spacious but you need to climb many steps to get there. There is no phone in the room which means that to arrange for a taxi Bindu has to be contacted by email or I had to go down the steps and bang on her apartment door and hope she or Antoine were there because there is no
reception area. The air-conditioner was very weak and all my clothes were always damp from the humidity. There was no hair dryer so I borrowed one from them which would die after 30 seconds. The bath towels were old and were never changed. There were no hand towels.. There is no safe-deposit or mini-bar and Bindu would not take any of my valuables for safe-keeping. The breakfast is very basic.
Bottom line is this place is over-priced and under-whelmed

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank bbbbangkok
casabeleza, Owner at Casa Beleza, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

We appreciate reviews and comments as we are always looking for feedback to help us improve Casa Beleza.

On this occasion we find the review instructive as to what kind of person should NOT stay at Casa Beleza. I actually pleaded with this guest not to stay here, when I realised after several lengthy phone calls and emails that he would be much better served by a large chain hotel. But he assured me that he was an independent traveller, having been to 82 countries, so I honoured his reservation, and kept my fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

Never in 6 years have we had a guest so ill-suited to staying at our place. I'll be blunt - if you cannot read a map, cannot follow simple directions, panic at the idea that English might not be spoken, are unable to hail a taxi on your own, cannot walk up hills or stairs, find Carnaval 'boring' after two days, I can assure you that you will also not like Santa Teresa nor Casa Beleza.

We did everything possible to try and help this guest - booking taxis, arranging guides (one of which refused to take him out again), assisting in buying Carnaval tickets online, and my husband even reconfigured the man's computer for him. I can honestly say that we did the best we could given the circumstances.

For the record, we change our sheets and towels every 3 days, there is a mini-bar in the common dining room, the air conditioning unit in the Bungalow is brand new, and as our staff is like our family, there is no need for safes in the rooms or anywhere in the house. There is not one bed and breakfast in Santa Teresa that has phones in the rooms, it is unheard of.

I wish the reviewer well in his future travels, he will be reassured by the fact that there are over 4000 Best Western hotels located in over 100 countries around the world.

As for us, we stand by the over 260 positive reviews of guests who have enjoyed Casa Beleza and our very special part of Rio de Janeiro,

Beijos