“I am now homesick for Casa Beleza.”
Review of Casa Beleza

Casa Beleza
Ranked #2 of 337 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We loved every minute of our time with Bindu and Antoine and did not want to leave. The house has a very special atmosphere with its garden with birds, marmosets and hidden delights up the hill. Breakfast was so good in the garden with Zilma's fesh goodies and each day was a delight because Bindu seemed to know instinctively what you would like. She found us local drivers who introduced us to Rio and spoke English. She helped us find lovely walks, and our last night we walked through Santa Theresa to the square where Antoine was playing in the samba group. There is no way I would ever want to stay anywhere else in Rio than in Santa Theresa with Bindu and Antoine. I can't wait to get back.(Despite the cock which escaped the pot)

Now in Aguas de Lindoia which is a completely different experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
casabeleza, Owner at Casa Beleza, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

You were troopers! Hiked the Tijuca Forest and danced the samba all on an injured foot! I'll pass your compliments on to Zilma, and next time she'll make you here delicious Coq au Vin! Thanks so much for your kind review, and enjoy your future travels to see the grandchild!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Really special place and hard to imagine you're just a few minutes up the hill from central Rio. The property is elegant and Bindu and Antoine made us feel very welcome. If you want every little detail perfect, head to the Relais &Chateau property around the corner at 5x the price, but if you're looking for a comfortable, unique and friendly place to stay in a fascinating part of town, Casa Beleza is a good fit.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Had an absolutely fantastic time in Rio, thanks in large part to Bindu and Casa Beleza. The warmth of the place was palpable from the moment we stepped in and it only got better and better. The rooms were perfect, cozy, comfortable, spacious and fairly priced. Bindu helped us plan each day and her suggestions were perfect! If she tells you to go somewhere or see someplace or do something, Just Do It! You are in good hands. You will not go wrong.

I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank joejoe07828
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I've just got back from another week at Casa Beleza in Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro.
I'd begun to think I'd dream't just how good it was last year - you know how you can mythologize a great holiday? Well I'm hear to say that it was heaven all over again.
Instant calm in just the most lovely house, in a magical garden, just moments away from some of the best bars in Rio. It just doesn't get any better for me. I can't wait to book in all over again.
Thank you to Bindu and all the team who made us feel so great and so at home.

Room Tip: They have a lovely new room set away from the house up in the jungle garden. An incredibly romantic...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I don't quite know where to begin. My friend and I just spent six wonderful days at Casa Beleza. We stayed in the loft room and couldn't believe the value for the price. We were served an incredible breakfast every morning, including great fruit juices (pineapple mint was my fave). Bindu, the hostess with the mostess, greeted us every day and arranged tours, taxis, and recommended great places to go. She even served us caipi's in the garden one evening. Bob the dog was also a welcoming host greeting us and protecting us every time we entered the property.

We made great friends with the other guests at Casa Beleza, and had a blast meeting the locals of Santa Teresa. I wouldn't change one single thing about our stay at Casa Beleza. That became even more apparent after our last night in Rio, when we had to change b&b's because Casa Beleza was sold out. Our second b&b didn't even compare to the welcoming stay at Casa Beleza. I can't WAIT to go back.

Kelley and Star.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kelleyrh
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My new bride and I stayed in Rio for 2.5 weeks for our honeymoon; an unforgettable, wonderful experience. The city is so rich with culture, music and they really are warmest, friendliest people we've met. The absolute highlight of our stay was Casa Beleza, in which we stayed for most of the 2 weeks, in a couple of different rooms. We enjoyed it so much that we changed our plans, staying in Rio as opposed to travelling more widely. We just didn't want to leave!

Casa Beleza is - at the risk of cliché - a home from home. The buildings are made up of an elegant, colonially-styled main house, a lovely swimming pool set in tropical gardens, and an outbuilding set high behind. Located in bohemian Santa Teresa - the best of Rio, in my opinion - Casa Beleza provides a breathtaking view of Rio from the hillside. The gardens are a regular spot for beautiful wildlife; whilst we were there, we had the pleasure of seeing parrots, lovely little monkeys (which we fed small pieces of banana from our hands - they were very friendly), the house tortoise and, of course, Bob the house dog. Bob has a lovely temperament and a good enough bark to ward off any unwelcome visitors - not that there were any.

The hosts at Casa Beleza are incredibly kind, welcoming and great fun. Breakfast is a very good time of day; think fresh pancakes, omelettes, excellent fruit, ham, cheese, croissants, toast, coffee and tea, juice... fabulous. For later in the day, there's a fridge full of soft drinks and beer, and if you're lucky Bindu will make you an excellent Caipirinha (which - on it's own - is reason enough to visit Rio!).

We can't recommend Casa Beleza highly enough. There's no better place to stay, and no better city to be in.

Room Tip: Any room - they're all great!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jonhendrix

Although we are humbled when people describe us as the 'best pousada in the world', we do realize that there might not be the empirical data to back up such a claim! But thank you!

You know these honeymooners are off to a good start when they had a magical time in Rio despite the rain - and come back for Carnaval, I promise non-stop sunshine!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Casa Beleza is a nice house with a great hostess (Bindu) and a very nice group of people working there. Breakfast in the garden made our start of each day a nice experience. Good advice of what to do was always available.

The rooms are very clean and nice. Bob, the dog, is always there to greet you and "protect" you.

If you are going to Rio and want to stay away of the noise of Copa Cabana, Ipanema, etc I recommend this place. Is up the hill (taxis struggle getting you up there) but once you are there, it is peaceful and fun (lots of bars and restaurants).

If I go back to Rio I would like to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family