“The best place to stay in Rio... possibly in the world...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Casa Beleza
Ranked #2 of 330 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“The best place to stay in Rio... possibly in the world...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

My new bride and I stayed in Rio for 2.5 weeks for our honeymoon; an unforgettable, wonderful experience. The city is so rich with culture, music and they really are warmest, friendliest people we've met. The absolute highlight of our stay was Casa Beleza, in which we stayed for most of the 2 weeks, in a couple of different rooms. We enjoyed it so much that we changed our plans, staying in Rio as opposed to travelling more widely. We just didn't want to leave!

Casa Beleza is - at the risk of cliché - a home from home. The buildings are made up of an elegant, colonially-styled main house, a lovely swimming pool set in tropical gardens, and an outbuilding set high behind. Located in bohemian Santa Teresa - the best of Rio, in my opinion - Casa Beleza provides a breathtaking view of Rio from the hillside. The gardens are a regular spot for beautiful wildlife; whilst we were there, we had the pleasure of seeing parrots, lovely little monkeys (which we fed small pieces of banana from our hands - they were very friendly), the house tortoise and, of course, Bob the house dog. Bob has a lovely temperament and a good enough bark to ward off any unwelcome visitors - not that there were any.

The hosts at Casa Beleza are incredibly kind, welcoming and great fun. Breakfast is a very good time of day; think fresh pancakes, omelettes, excellent fruit, ham, cheese, croissants, toast, coffee and tea, juice... fabulous. For later in the day, there's a fridge full of soft drinks and beer, and if you're lucky Bindu will make you an excellent Caipirinha (which - on it's own - is reason enough to visit Rio!).

We can't recommend Casa Beleza highly enough. There's no better place to stay, and no better city to be in.

Room Tip: Any room - they're all great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jonhendrix
casabeleza, Owner at Casa Beleza, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Although we are humbled when people describe us as the 'best pousada in the world', we do realize that there might not be the empirical data to back up such a claim! But thank you!

You know these honeymooners are off to a good start when they had a magical time in Rio despite the rain - and come back for Carnaval, I promise non-stop sunshine!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Casa Beleza is a nice house with a great hostess (Bindu) and a very nice group of people working there. Breakfast in the garden made our start of each day a nice experience. Good advice of what to do was always available.

The rooms are very clean and nice. Bob, the dog, is always there to greet you and "protect" you.

If you are going to Rio and want to stay away of the noise of Copa Cabana, Ipanema, etc I recommend this place. Is up the hill (taxis struggle getting you up there) but once you are there, it is peaceful and fun (lots of bars and restaurants).

If I go back to Rio I would like to stay there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a wonderful, memorable, magical stay at Casa Beleza in beautiful Santa Teresa. We were traveling with our two small children and my mother-in-law, and Casa Beleza was an ideal home base, making our inter-generational trip work! The house itself is lovely - the rooms are simple, clean, large, comfortable and the gardens are beautiful. And the breakfasts on the terrace are delicious. But the hosts really make this place special. Bindu arranged taxis, tour guides, made suggestions, and always seemed to be there at the right moment to offer help, advice or caipirhinias. Our boys were enchanted with the two resident turtles and the monkeys that came to visit on two occasions, as well as Bindu and Antoine's two kids. What a bonus to have playmates! All in all, I can't say enough good things about this gem of a B&B. It was hard to say goodbye, but we know that we'll be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I just got back from Rio where I had the mot wonderful stay at Casa Beleza. Right from when I made the inquiry I was met by the very friendly and attentive care by Bindu. She made sure I had all I could ever ask for to have a great stay i Santa Teresa and Rio. She booked me a hike, sightseeing and helped me find my way around. And recommended bars, restaurants etc that turned out to be to my taste.

The room was perfekt for me, comfortable and clean. The wifi was fast and worked perfectly. The breakfast was the best with fresh and homemade juices, fruitsalads, breads and surprises every day. Really a good meal!

Casa Beleze is located close to the "center" in Santa Teresa with buses, taxi stop etc so you get around easily and can catch the Metro at Gloria. The friendly atmosphere around Bindu and her family and the beauty of the house and garden make their place really live up to it's name - Casa Beleze (beautiful house).

I look forward to coming back!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hanna B
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I came to Casa Beleza for our honeymoon and I can honestly say it was by far the best place we stayed in Rio, but actually one of the best I have stayed in the world. We stayed in the loft for our first week which was beautiful and stylish - lovely comfy bed and cool interesting furniture etc. We came back again (as we loved it so much) and stayed in the orange garden room which was also gorgeous.

The breakfast was another huge highlight, fresh fruit, home made omelets, lovely fruit juice, fresh coffee. The garden is amazing and you can feed the monkeys out of the trees as the tortoises wonder past. Also Santa Teresa is by far the best area of Rio to stay - so much cooler than the americanised high rises of Ipanema or Copacobana.

Last but certainly not least is Bindu - the fabulous host - she is super helpful, knows exactly what is great to do in Rio, will help to book taxis and point you in the right direction.

Casa beleza made our trip to Rio and we will be back next year for SURE

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was the best place we stayed at during our two week trip in Brazil. Located in hills of Santa Teresa it is close to some really nice bars and restaurants. The rooms are clean, spacious and well decorated and you get a swell breakfast! Our stay was all the more enjoyable because of Bindu's exceptional service and attention. She gave some brilliant recommendations for live music, food and bars, helped organise tickets for a local football match and recommended a great guide (called Junior) and she makes some amazing caipirinhas! Will definitely stay here on my next trip to Rio

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Luckily I *did* have a reservation at the sublime Casa Beleza but could not believe Anthony Bourdain of the Travel Channel's "No Reservations" had just been here with his wife and famous crew. (Bindu, the hostess par excellence, is also a documentary film maker/producer and organized Bourdain's locations in Rio). Too bad for me!

Loved the place, very tranquil; my room was colorful and pretty, breakfast excellent, and Bindu extraordinarily helpful. Loved seeing monkeys in the morning in the back yard, and taking a refreshing dip in the front-yard pool on landing from a very long flight. Felt like a Channel No 5 commercial.

Highly recommend Casa Beleza and would stay again any time!

Room Tip: Walk around the neighborhood! Lots of characters and interesting cafes and bars. Definitely have Bin...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo