“Not for vegetairians” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Lamas
Ranked #14 of 278 Coffee & Tea in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese, South American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego, California
“Not for vegetairians”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

My host family told me that this is a very good restaurant and is close to the house. It was New Years Day, and I had not eaten in almost 24 hours and I was absolutely famished. I walked in off the street (where it was about 35 degrees- centigrade) to a bustling, air conditioned place. The menu is huge (ask for an English menu) but I just wanted some simple meat, potatoes and veggies.
I ordered the simple filet with french fries and a salad of lettuce an tomatoes- simple but good. The salad had nice butter lettuce with a whole tomato sliced on top of it. The tomatoes tasted like real tomatoes (not the tasteless mush we get in the US) and just plain olive oil was all it needed. I then got a big piece of meat (cooled perfectly) and a plate of great fries.
The meal was simple and good. The place has been around for 140 years so I guess it has staying power- highly recommended.

• Visited January 2014

Hong Kong, China
“Best Beef”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Crowded!

We asked a local to take us to the best beef and he took us here to have lunch.
It was in 2012 Feb.

Definitely will go back

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“EXPENSIVE and rubbish food. Living on reputation. Hopefully not for long.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

What experience from hell i had with my partner last Sunday. I just wanted to revive a delightful experience had over 11-years ago. I was expecting to find it crowded and while we were queuing up we had managed to had a very good view of the kitchen and how they work. My first sight was of a man working on the meat dishes and I have seen something from hell, raw meat (chicken filet) placed next to cooked food. Already prepared food piling up). Mu initial thought was to go away, however I gave them the benefit of doubt and we stayed with a common agreement in not order any chicken, therefore we ordered some filet Mignon alla parmigiana - 90 reals - a fortune! and we raised our expectations. For our disappointment, it came with some chips (burned and kind of cold). the meat was smelly, sort of old and tasteless. Really a bad experience, never more and far too expensive. Poor tourists in view of fore coming Confederation Cup, World Cup and Olympics. Will be for sure ripped off.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Marc6711
London, United Kingdom
“interesting old resto”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

like most places in Rio , the idea that someone might be vegetarian, vegan, or simply not want to eat dead animals and fish is alien, however , just to take a beer or coffee and look at the old building is worth it

Visited September 2012
Canberra, Australia
“Great for an excellent meal and bustling atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

A Brazilian friend recommended Cafe Lamas to us as a great place to get a traditional Brazilian meal. The place was buzzing with life, the food was excellent (many dishes are for two people, so be sure to ask), the service was gracious, and the bill for four people (with soft drinks) came to 240 reais (or about $120). Not cheap for South America, but not over-the-top for a capital city.
We shared filet mignon and another steak dish that was recommended. One of our party is severely allergic to wine, and the waiter altered the order to avoid risk.

• Visited December 2012