Casa 579
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$108
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
$609
  • Breakfast included
Transamerica Prime Barra(Rio de Janeiro)
$55
  • Breakfast included
Pestana Rio Atlantica(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$104
$76
  • Beachfront
Hotel Mar Palace Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$98
$58
  • Pool
Hotel Regina(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$56
$47
Grand Mercure Rio de Janeiro Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$115
$98
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Atlantico Rio(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$47
$45
$522
$473
  • Beachfront
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Our experience was absolutely positive. The location overlooking Rio is really stunning. The neighborhood offers a variety of restaurants, shops and bars within easy reach. It's fast and easy to get into town if you like to travel with the locals- like we do. Everybody in the hotel was always good-humoured, ready to help and knowledgeable about places and events.On top they made us feel part of the "family". Breakfast was plenty with lots of fruit , juice, coffee, bread and coldcuts.Our room was big, bright, colourful and in good condition considering that the hotel is a colonial mansion- like building. If you want a personal touch, live in a lively and real Rio neighborhood, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2011

This is one of my favourite ho(s)tels ever. The people who work there are truely nice, and very helpful. The view from the rooftop is stunning! A great place to relax in yr hammock or for a midnight drink. Just have a look at the Casa 579 website for a sneak preview ;)

Next to that, the area (Santa Teresa) is the best of Rio. It is the most pitoresque area with charming houses and alleys.

At the bottom of the mountain, you find Lapa: the best place to party with pubs and salsa clubs.

Note: it will take you +/- 1 hour to get to the beach (by bus/metro). You should stay in Leblon if you want to have the beach in walking distance. Personally, I think travelling trough Rio is part of the fun! ;)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I've read many reviews stating how great the owner of this hostel Teresa is. I couldn't disagree more. I found her to be aloof and uncaring about her guests. She relies on her staff to do everything for her. During my nearly 3 week stay, she never once introduced herself, said hello, or asked about my stay etc. When compared to the incredibly high-touch care of other hostel owners I've encountered, I'd say that she has some customer service tips to brush up on.

Her staff on the other hand are absolutely incredible. Vadir, Sarah and Kirry were all super. Vadir especially. He went out of his way to make sure everyone was well taken care of and even went so far as to draw little maps to help people find there way. He was organized, friendly, knowledgeable on what to do and where to go and a true asset to the hostel. Sarah and Kirry were also wonderful and extremely caring of ensuring the guests were well taken care of. It also has a large kitchen to cook your dinner in and a refrigerator dedicated to the guests.

On the upside, the views from this hostel are absolutely incredible. You can see all of Rio, including Sugar Loaf and the Christ (Corcovado). The breakfast is delicious and includes fresh baked coffee cake, breads, fruit, juice, yogurt, granola, etc. On many mornings, monkeys come to the window to get bananas. The hostel is several stories tall and has plenty of space to stretch out, relax. You'll find people chilling on the rooftop deck or the large living room. Even the rooms are on the larger size. They also include large walk-in closets to put your luggage or change clothes when the bathrooms are busy.

On the downside, the hostel is not within walking distance of anything. You have to take a Kombi to go up/down the hill and at night many taxi driver refuse to drive to the top of Santa Theresa. There can be lines for the bathrooms when the hostel is fully booked and yet on several occasions I had to wait for one of the housekeepers who snuck into the shower. This was not ok to me as a paying guest to wait for a housekeeper to take a shower before me. The lockers are cheap and flimsy and not big enough to put a backpack in. The staff will lock your things in a safe or upstairs closet for you, but then that requires you to constantly ask them to put things in/out for you which is a drag for both.

Other than that, I can't complain. Like I said, owner excluded, the staff was amazing, the views great, the food good, plenty of space, felt like home!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Casa579, Manager at Casa 579, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

We are always grateful for people who take the time to leave feedback on Tripadvisor however when this feedback is not entirely accurate we also feel it is important to point this out - whilst many positive things were said in this review about Casa 579, there are a couple of points that are that we would like to clarify:

1) Comments regarding interactions with the owner (Teresa): I am not sure why this has been written in this way – for the first week of this guests stay, I was away in another part of Brazil so it was not possible for the guest to have met me. However, on my return, when I was next in the pousada and the guest was there, I explicitly went up to the guest (as is normal practice) and said hello and introduced myself and we went on to have more than one conversation during the guests stay. Therefore I am not sure why the comments have been left as they have. Myself and my staff wherever possible make a point of greeting the guest and making an introduction in order to create the friendly environment we have at Casa 579. I would also like to point out that I do rely on my staff to ensure that Casa 579 functions as it should – it would be impossible for one person to be do everything and for it to still function well and over time we have increased the number of people we have on our front desk in order to provide a better service to our guests and I am very glad to hear the very positive feedback on these staff members.
2) Location of Casa 579: To state that Casa 579 is not within walking distance to anything is not true – we have the much loved Gauchos local restaurant less than 5 mins walk away from the house and there are shops and restaurants in Santa Teresa which are approx 20 mins walk away. For those who don’t want to walk we have buses and kombis that stop just outside our door which take you to Santa Teresa (5 mins) / Lapa (10 mins) and also in the other direction to Largo do Machado (for the metro) (10 mins) – these are vey cheap (R$2-2.40) and frequent with the kombis running until the dawn hours.
3) Facilities: Our lockers are standard lockers as used by gyms, hostels etc and are not cheap and flimsy . With regards to the comments on our housekeepers using the showers, after speaking to them we understand that this indeed happened as the bathrooms they use were mistakenly being used by other people – therefore we apologise for any inconveniences caused by this and we have explained what to do in this situation to our staff and are confident that this will not occur again.

Apart from these issues which we hope we have now clarified, we are of course very pleased that overall the guest felt that Casa 579 “felt like home”!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 17, 2010

From our first email to our taxi back to the airport, we had the most wonderful service. The staff are so helpful and really make you feel at home. Our room (Beija Flor) was spacious and funky with wonderful views across the city.

The roof terrace is incredible and the location is not a problem at all. 10 mins to heart of Santa Teresa (great restaurants) and 10 mins to the nearest metro.

If I had to pick a downside, it would be the breatfast which is basic bit fine. Enough to get you going in the morning with coffee and cake.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 16, 2010

Casa 579 is a really good place to stay when you visit Rio. You will get a much better feel for the city, and as i'm sure many have said you will see the real Rio. Santa Teresa is a really nice area and generally friendly. You'll get to experience the Combi's into the city!

If you are looking for something close to the beach this may not be for you. You will either have to get a taxi or a bus. Other than this I couldn't recommend Casa 579 more!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends