“Home away from home”

Ranked #66 of 327 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Home away from home”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed at Casa 579 for 4 nights and had a great stay. The staff were very helpful and most spoke good English. They arranged tours for us, airport transfers and gave us good advice when it came to getting around the city and choosing things to do. One member of staff even printed off a Google map for us when we asked for advice on the best way to get to a museum in the centre of Rio. I really felt at home here and safe during my stay. We booked a twin en-suite room, which was specious and clean. The breakfast was good, some great cake! One morning we even had the chance to feed the small monkey's which live in the trees surrounding Casa. The view from the roof terrace was stunning, we could see the Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer. We could also see this statue from our room window. I would stay here again if I ever went back to Rio and have meet like minded travellers here that will hopefully be friends for life!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LexScotland
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thanks very much for leaving such a nice review. We're glad that you felt at home here and it's nice to know that you would come back again if you were ever in Rio. It's great that you liked the views from our roof terrace, seeing people's reactions when they arrive always makes us happy !
All the best for your future travels.
Kiri, Natalia and the team at Casa 579.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Isidro, Argentina
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I went to Casa 579 on a friend's recommendation, and I wasn't disappointed.
The place has a really friendly vibe, helped by the people who work there. My dorm room was super comfy and I didn't even mind being woken by the friendly marmosets who live in the trees surrounding the property.
Breakfast was great, with a huge variety of food and drinks.
It was my first time in Rio but I was given a map and shown all the key places to go, as well as how to get there, which proved more than useful.
Casa 579 has strong links with a local favela (Julio Ortoni) and I got to spend an evening watching a community production produced by the staff of Casa 579 who also volunteer in the favela, which is something I hadn't expected but am glad I got to see and experience something that not everyone gets the chance to.

If I ever go back to Rio I'll make sure I stay there again, as well as recommend it to friends... the views from the terrace of Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer alone are worth the trip!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
We're happy to hear that you liked Casa's vibe, breakfast and our friendly monkeys and that you got the chance to see the kids from our local community centre perform. We also thought it was a great experience. Thanks for the lovely review and we look forward to seeing you next time you're in Rio.
All the best,
Kiri, Natalia and the whole team at Casa 579.
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I arrived much earlier than our check in time @ Casa 579. No matter, we were given a tour of the house, beautiful inside and out, unbelievable view from the terrace of Rio, and Christ the Redeemer. We were aloud in our room early, plenty of space, two windows that opened for the perfect climate to roll thru the room. Everyone that works there couldn't have been more polite or hospitable. Breakfast lunch and dinner was prepared every day whether we were there or not. And the employees played live music on the terrace every night, while playing bartender for us. To top it all off, the employees all volunteer at a Favela. Teaching the children there language, music, and art. We got invited to the Favela via Casa 579, to watch a little production put on by the children. It was an experience that will never be equaled. If I ever go back to Rio De Janeiro, this little B&B will be my 1st pick to stay. Rio has TONS of great beaches, but only one Casa 579 in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed July 2013
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We wholeheartedly thank you for such a brilliant review. It's great that you appreciate how much we try to make our guests feel welcome no matter what time of the day or night they arrive and that you enjoyed the musical performance put on by the kids we teach at our local favela. Whilst we don't play music every night we do have an international staff a couple of whom are fantastic musicians and whenever enough guests are interested we are happy to open our bar and eat together and play music. We welcome guests to come and eat and play with us and even take an afternoon out to come and see our community work.

Thanks again for your stay and recognizing our work.

All the best for your future travels.

Kiri, Natalia, the team at Casa 579 and the kids at Julio Otoni.
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Breakfast is filling
Rooms and Bathrooms are clean
The staff is phenomenal
You get a view that is beyond beautiful
I always felt safe

Traveling alone can be a bit lonely at times but at Casa 579 I felt right at home. I made friends within the first hour of arriving and as the days passed this hostel quickly became my home away from home. There are many different people from all over the world but almost everyone seems to speak at least a bit of english which was nice. I have been traveling around different parts of Brazil but always find myself back in Rio for a few days. Next week will be my 3rd time staying at Casa and needless to say, I CANT WAIT!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We hope we'll always be your home away from home in Rio. It was lovely having you here, all 3 times. We're so glad you made friends here so quickly and that you loved the views, our staff and the breakfast. Thanks for a great review.
Safe travels and hope to see you back here again one day soon.
Kiri, Natalia and all the team at Casa 579, including Nina of course.
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Absolutely a charm. Quiet, but fun. Away from the chaos, but located in an original, happening little town. Easily accessible to anywhere in Rio. Clean rooms, wonderful staff, and such a beautiful view. Great vibes. Stayed for 7 days and would stay for 7 years!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Mike O
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
If only you could actually stay for 7 years! We would love to have you here again for even longer. We're so glad you liked staying at Casa 579 and in Santa Teresa which has a lovely village atmosphere. Thanks so much for choosing to stay here and for the lovely review.
Safe and happy future travels!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I visited Rio de Janeiro in June 2013 and stayed for 3 nights at Casa 579. Not only are they one of the cheaper options in Rio de Janeiro, but they create a typical Rio vibe ... lively, viby, with very friendly hosts who are willing to help with everything and speak perfect English. The location is on a hill in Santa Teresa, which means that you have a terrific view of Christ the Redeemer AND Sugar Loaf Mountain from the terrace as well as most rooms. It is a 10 minute bus ride from the lapa which is THE place to be for night life, and 5 minutes by bus from the metro, which will take you to the beaches. Our room had its own patio with hammocks to enjoy the view in. One downside would be the shared bathroom, but in truth we never really had a problem and it is only a downside if the guests are inconsiderate. The water is also not always hot, so if you want to catch a nice hot shower you will have to go at the right time. Included is a nice breakfast where you can sit and chat to all the other travelers. A really fun hostel with great hosts and excellent value for money in Rio. I do recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emerina_bakkes
Casa579, The team at Casa 579, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks so much for your recommendation, it's great to here that you enjoyed the vibe and the views. We're sorry to hear that you didn't always get hot water, we definitely do have hot water 100% of the time and also have a maintenance person on staff to fix any problems that arise. We're happy to got to unwind in one of the hammocks and get to know our other guests over breakfast. Thanks again for the great review. If you're ever in Rio again we'd love to see you back at Casa 579.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a mostly great experience at Casa 579.

The place feels like home, people are really great and friendly. The common area is large with a good view, it feels very welcoming. Breakfast was good. The view on the terrace is incredible.

We had a few glitches, though. We were charged only 1 night up front instead of for both nights we were staying. They are strict about full payment at the beginning and we didn't realize they didn't charge us the full amount. So upon checkout (as I'm hurrying to catch my international flight) we had to try to scrounge up cash. There was no way to pay via credit card, even with paypal. I'm sure it was just a mistake by the employee that checked us in, but it was a pretty stressful way to end my vacation.

The room was nice, but there was no lock on our room door. I think there was a space for a padlock, but they didn't have any available to us. We had a queen bed, but it was two twins pushed together. Both were clearly not an ideal situation.

Room Tip: The rooms in the house across the street are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pandamir
Casa579, Manager at Casa 579, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
We're happy to hear that you liked the homey vibe at the great views here at Casa 579 and we're sorry to hear about the problems you have but we'd like to assure you that these small things have been resolved so future guests will be able to benefit.

The staff member who checked you in was in fact new and had just completed her training. We get an influx of new staff every 3 months as we also run a volunteer project in our local community centre and the staff who work on reception all come to volunteer in the community centre giving classes of everything from music to meditation. We have been over our reservations system again with all team members to prevent this ever happening again in the future. We really hope that you got to the airport on time and had a safe flight!

We have now also had proper locks, not just latches, put onto all doors and we have moved a proper double bed into the room where you stayed.

Please accept our apologies again. We thank you for bringing these things to our attention so that we were able to do something about it.

Warmest regards from Rio,
Kiri and the team at Casa 579.