“Nearly Paradise”
Review of Promenade Paradiso

Promenade Paradiso
Ranked #154 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights during the Carnival season 2013. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful and serviced us in English particularly by Alana who was an ever smiling. We had our room at the back with a view of pools from the balcony. The room was rather small with two beds but it was on the quiter side and away from the very busy highway next to the hotel, so we did not mind. The room price included breakfast, which was very good with plenty of food and well serviced by the staff. The breakfast room was located next to the pools and in lush green trees and vegetation setting. We had some housekeeping problems which were resolved very promptly. Communication with the housekeeping staff can be challenging.

The hotel is situated in Barra Area in South Zone. The whole set up reminded me of Florida. The hotel was in a very secure and safe area. It is a bit far from the airport, City and other well known tourist attractions such as Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon beaches, Christo the Redeemer, Sugar Loaf peak, etc. A taxi will cost between R$ 60 to100 to most of these places. We explored all areas of Rio.by a superb bus and Metro system that we found the most convenient, cheap and fast way. One can take a bus on a scenic route to Ipanema and then continue on the Metro to anywhere in the City for a total cost of R$4.75. The city buses to almost all locations can be boarded not far from the hotel.

There is a shopping Mall on the opposite side of the highway but for groceries one has to walk to EXTRA super market about 400 m away. A bautiful beach is only 15 minutes walk and a ferry crossing. Ask for complimentary ferry crossing cards at the front desk.

Our flight departure was early in the morning. The front desk arranged for our wake-up call, taxi and advance breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back preferably facing the pools.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
DeptEcommerce, Manager E-commerce at Promenade Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear guest,

We are very happy to know that had great experience in Promenade Paradiso.

We will be happy to have again the opportunity to have you as our guest.

Graciously.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is located in a very safe and quiet environment. Far from the busy Copacabana or Ipanema or Centro. It's well guarded. Their bed was comfortable, bathroom ordinary, nice view from the balcony at the room. They have good breakfast, pool, sauna, gym. nice facilities for their price. The people who are usually booked here are very decent and quiet. Not the loud type you'll find in the Centro area. I must say I had a satisfying experience.

From this hotel, you can go to Barra beach which is even better than the famous Copacabana and Ipanema I think because it's not crowded. We were told also by a Brazilian friend that elite and Brazilian celebrities swim there.

Just across the street, you'll find a shopping mall - Citta America and Downtown. It's easy to get a cab if you'd like to go elsewhere like Lapa or the beaches. Also not very far from the hotel are posh nightclubs which you wouldn't find in Copacabana-Ipanema area.

So from this hotel, you can pretty much go anywhere and it's no hassle. To go to Centro by ordinary yellow cab will cost around BRL 70. To Copacabana, we paid aircon cab around BRL 60. And by bus, will cost you BRL 2.75 per person regardless of the distance. Signs are visible on the bus, Copacabana, Ipanema...etc. You can go to nightclubs (Avenida Armando Lombardi) by taxi will cost you around BRL 20 (night rate). There are many nightclubs/bars/lounges/dance clubs to choose from.

Room Tip: choose a room with view of the pool
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Promenade is a fine hotel with decent rooms, service, and location. My company selected this hotel because it is close to our offices along the Avenida Das Americas. However, the nearest beach, Barra da Tijuca beach, is a 15 minute walk, so this hotel might not be your first choice for a vacation. For business travel, I'd be happy to come back.

From the hotel entry, you can see the distinctive Gávea Rock (Barra Rock). This striking rock formation is just one of many hill / mountain peaks you will see through out Rio de Janeiro. Really nice!

I got a deluxe room. It has a double bed, a fair sized living room area, a good desk/work area, a kitchen area, and a good sized bathroom with walk in shower.

The room comes with good, free, wifi, and a flatscreen TV with a good selection of content. The walls are thin; I can easily hear conversations in the hallway or noise from the upstairs neighbor. I understand the non-deluxe rooms are not as nice; some of my work associates asked to be upgraded to the deluxe rooms. The layout of the hotel is like condos/apartments welcoming longer stays like mine. I used the laundry service; it was prompt and good quality. My neighbor's laundry was accidentally delivered to me.

The hotel has a nice, practical, restaurant. Breakfast buffet is included with the room; it was good. A couple of nights I ordered room service; I got my meal very promptly at a good price. Not surprisingly there is a language challenge, and I had to ask the front desk to help me order my meal.

The Avenida Das Americas is a 12 lane highway. It is super busy, and a good location for shopping and business offices. From the hotel, I was able to walk to two different shopping centers to find food, souvenirs, pharmacies, and even a movie theater. The challenge is that I had to walk a few blocks to the nearest stoplight to cross; and, the stoplight cycle is so short that it takes 2 cycles to fully cross the highway. This area is full of people shopping and going to business meetings; everything feels really safe.

The must do tourist thing for business travelers is to see Cristo Redentor/Christ the Redeemer statue on Corcovado Mountain and Sugarloaf Mountain / Pão de Açúcar. Our host arranged for a driver who took us first to the Christ statue; you drive and park at the foot of the mountain, get on a special van service, they take you to base of the summit, where you switch to a park van that takes you to the top. You need to pay about R$25 in tickets.

The Sugarloaf mountain is a 20 minute drive from the Christ statue. You need to buy a R$50 cable car ticket to take you to the top of the mountain. Our host timed our visit so that we got to the top right at sunset; very nice.

Just so you know: my last day in the hotel was Friday, Oct 12 -- a national holiday in Brazil. The day commemorates Our Lady of Aparecida / Nossa Senhora Aparecida the patron saint of Brazil and Children's Day (Dia das Crianças). That morning, the business travelers checked out of the hotel, and many families checked in. The hotel is clearly a destination that is favored by some family travelers.

Room Tip: When you get to the room, the A/C will be off; the room will be hot. You need to find the clicker a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Rating 2, based on:-

1. There are small and big rooms. Big rooms are spacious, more than what 1 person needs.

2. TV has a set top box, so you can the audio of international channels to English

3. Breakfast was good for my taste. Plenty of breads & fruits

4. Security staff barely speaks English. So, if they will call you from the hotel reception at 4 in the morning and you will say "English please", they will still send a complete stranger up to your room.

4. If you want things like "Iron", you are simply wasting your time. I asked for one (continuously for
7 days) I didn't get it. Though, they did promise to leave one in my room, every time I asked.

5. Internet connection (WIFI) works well in some rooms, in others there simply aren't any signals. During my first stay, the guy at the reception was kind enough to help me find a room where signals were better, but it was still not good enough for Skype calls or VPN connectivity. During my 2nd stay, Internet worked - most of the time. It went down for 2 days, but you won't find the hotel staff in any kind of rush to do anything about it - so don't waste your time.

6. Reception guys can simply ignore your calls or put you on hold right after you will call. So, don't think that anyone will come and help you during emergencies - keep an emergency number handy.

7. There are plenty of restaurants around - there is a downtown mall right opposite to the hotel, then another one next to downtown (which has 1 very good vege option - tropicana or something like that). You can also go to Barra shopping mall - like 15$ by cab.

8. Depending on which side of the building you will stay, you might / might not hear the noise of the traffic (hotel is located next to a busy road).

9. Bathroom / toilet is close to being ugly, amenities in the bathroom are sub-standard. Nothing that you will want to take home as a souvenir :))

10. Views are nice from most of the rooms... mine had Mountain / Swimming Pool view (both times)

11. There is a coffee maker, but don't expect any sugar or coffee sachets to be provided. I tried my luck already.

So... all in all, given a choice between this and Hotel Transamerica, I will go there. Its slightly (!) better.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Johanbehl
Reviewed June 8, 2012

It's far away from Rio atractions.Rooms are preatty small,but for a single person are OK. Guided Tours will not pick you up from Barra,so you have to go by yourself and meet them in Copacabana(Taxi is about 50 reals). Hotel is more 2 an a half stars maybe 3, but they pretend 4 stars.Always problems with the internet and it takes One Day untill they fix it.Personal is not so good in English and they have to work on client orientation.Brekfast is always the same,not too impressive, but if you order the Chessburger you will be impressed.The pool is just OK ! Too expensive for the location and services.Across the street are 2 big shopping areas with Banks,Shops,Restaurants,Post Office.Overall I think that you can finde somth. better . I would not recomand it .

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sharkyo4
Reviewed May 24, 2012

we stayed during the carival. It was a bit far from the airport and all the attractions. Tour companies will not pick up from this hotel. Staff cannot speak good english. Very good swimming pool and room was good size and clean. There is a good shopping centre nearby.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is a fairly good hotel, located in the Barra District of Rio.
It is not located by the Beach, but along the main road of Avenida das Americas.
The hotel rooms are very large and spacious, with tiled floors.
My room had a small kitchenette.
TV is provided with a cable box, with a range of TV stations, some are in English.
The bathrooms are well maintained and the showers work very well.
Wifi is provided, but it does not work in all rooms, the staff kindly moved me into another room, when I stopped receiving wifi signal in my room.
The hotel has all the basic amenities for a business traveller but does feel a touch bland, however this should not deter the holidaying travellers.
The bed is always an important consideration for me and the
Opposite the hotel is a small shopping complex, with shops and restaurants. A 10 min trip up the road can get you to the Barra Shopping mall.
It is possible to walk to the beach from the hotel in 15-20 mins.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing towards the pool, you're less likely to have mosquitoes entering into the h...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business