Hotel Astoria Palace
$200
JW Marriott
  • Beachfront
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$206
$112
  • Breakfast included
PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
$148
$120
  • Pool
Ipanema Inn(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$110
$99
$245
$231
$230
$184
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$103
  • Pool
Arena Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$119
$85
Official Hotel
  • Pool
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
$324
$313
Hotels.com
$500
$451
1,083 results
All reviewsrooftop poolcopacabana beachchrist the redeemerhot and cold foodtop floorsugar loafbreakfast buffetsmall roomriominibarportugueseumbrellas
Reviewed April 10, 2010

This is not a fantastic place by any means and how it rates so highly on Trip Advisor beggars belief. OK, Accomodation in Rio is expensive, and so for $150USD a night I expected something not quite Marriott but not far behind. What we got was a relatively basic, unfriendly flophouse that you would pay $40 in Bangkok, or Singapore, or ....wherever. The location is great, it has to be said. If you want to be in Copacabana, its unbeatable. Next to the Copa Palace, right on the beach, two blocks from the subway, with restaurants all around. However, its small, must be only 25 - 30 metres wide , but with 14 floors, so forget the grand marbled reception and sweeping staircases that its name evokes. The reception staff ARE unfriendly, everyone else on Trip Advisor has said that as well, rude really. The rooms are small, and although they have all the facilities, they appear basic. Little touches that make a hotel seem nice i.e. bottles of conditioner, shampoo etc on a nice stand in the bathroom are replaced with plastic sachets. The beds are small and uncomfortable, and the aircon is horrendously noisy, fixed to an outside wall so when it rains the rain lashes on the outside of the metal unit and makes a helluva racket. The view from our room was just some tenements behind, although it s true that from the top the views are great. The pool however was tiny, may be 5m x 3m, no way you could swim, and it was filthy. I would'nt let my dog in it. The breakfast was just OK, watered down orange juice was foul, and really not a place to linger. TV had good channels, plenty of movies in English, but generally it had an aura about it that did'nt feel right.. Felt ripped off really. There were real storms when we were there and on departure we were caught in heavy rain. While our flight was not till 5, when checked out at 12 the guy on the desk said we should go immediately. When I asked why he replied ' if you could be bothered to look at the news and try to understand some portuguese you would know!' Oh OK then, great PR skills there my friend. For that comment alone, you can stick your hotel. Word of warning. It costs 40 reais 40, 40 ,40 I can't say it enough, to get from Galeao airport to Copacabana. The taxi stands want 90 reais (thats 50USD for a 20 minute ride). However the taxi hustlers approach and say, 'hey man don't pay that, we take you for 70'. You think OK ,good deal saved myself 20 reais, only to find on the meter it costs 40!!! Coming back, because of the storms, taxis were taking advantage and one wanted 150 reais for the trip. Thats 90 bucks for a 20 mile ride. They are rip off merchants of the first order and will have their meters off in a heartbeat if they see a Johnny foreigner looking bemused. Remember 40 reais GIG-Copacabana, thats the fare - pay no more. Rio is like a violent, decadent Benidorm, I would'nt hurry back but I enjoyed Sugar Loaf and Corcovado (even if it was covered in scaffold!) Oh well, some you win, some you lose. Find somewhere better, or avoid Rio totally and go to Buenos Aires, now thats nice.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Hotel is superbly located right on Copocabana Beach - get a room with Ocean view, worth the upgrade. Few key card issues and minor stuff but one specific gentleman on reception was particularly helpful and accommodating

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank LoveTravelVentures
Reviewed March 2, 2010

On my partner arrival at Hotel Astoria, the receptionist informed her that our standard room was not available due to their fault, and so we had been upgraded. On my arrival, one day later and while she away, the receptionist welcomed me saying something like "Yesterday, we kindly granted your partner the upgrade she asked for. Could you right now move your things to a standard room we have available?" Let me make this clear: she didn't ask for an upgrade, and when it was offered, she only took after make sure it was for the whole stay (2 more nights), unloading all the luggage in the cabinets. And it was not a foreign language misunderstanding. We are all Brazilians. The bad welcome turned into rudeness when I came back to the recepcionist, after talking to my partner, with her version. Without excusing himself, he picked a phone call while I was talking to him, and after finishing that, called again with me standing in front of him with no hurry or excuse. ... Strange, I thought I were the client! ... To make the story of an unpleasant hotel stay short, after a couple of other problems with a leaking ceiling and a pageboy's pass at my partner, I decided to complain to the general manager. At every attempt, somebody at the reception blocked me by saying "He will call you as soon as possible.". ... Well, I am still waiting for his worthy phone call. Doesn't this look like a gang action?

Having lived in Rio before, I would like to suggest: Rio is a beautiful and hospitable city. Don't risk your pleasant visit by staying at Astoria Hostile Hotel!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2010

On arrival at Hotel Astoria (which was cheaper to book through its own website/travel agents), we were greeted warmly by the male receptionist who informed us that our standard room was not yet available, and so we had been upgraded temporarily to a sea-facing suite. We did have to move halfway through the first week but were impressed by the efficiency with which we were moved. The breakfast was consistently excellent - an array of fresh tropical fruits, cereals, breads and local hot and cold delicacies as well as fresh coffee, tea and hot chocolate were always on offer. We could freely borrow towels for the pool (which was small and for relaxation not swimming, and could be slightly murky at times) and to take to the beach, opposite. Every member of staff greeted us on sight and the desk staff were generally very helpful. Room service was fantastic and at no extra charge to the restaurant/poolside bar. Meals were reasonably priced, too. Internet access was much more expensive to use than local cafes, but as we were not on a business trip this did not hinder our stay. Excellent views in the sea-view room, plus beautiful panoramas from the top floor (including Christ the Redeemer on the opposite side to the beach). Room bills for the reasonably-priced mini-bar can be unaccurate so it's worth checking your expenditure, although we had no trouble (may even have been slightly under). The airport shuttle coach (R$7) passed right alongside the hotel and other transport links were brilliant. Great beach kiosks serving cocktails and good-value meals opposite the hotel. Overall the hotel was excellent, only marked down on the rooms because they were a little plain. Will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ilts85
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We wanted a hotel that was near the beach. Position of this hotel excellent. Rooms good size and clean, but not all have a sea view. Breakfast is outstanding. Staff helpful. Hotel, despite all it has going for it is functional and lacks character.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family