““Tour around the world - step 16””

Hotel Astoria Palace
Ranked #104 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in March 2011. The Astoria Palace, although well located, in Copacabana, is not at all worth the price or the category indicated when making the reservation. I had a “super luxury room” but for international standards it was simply a room. I had room number 704, with view over the beach of Copacabana. When I went to the room to take a shower after the long trip, I discovered that there was only cold water. I informed of the problem immediately, but it was not fixed at any moment, so I had to take cold showers every day. The restaurant of the hotel offered a good relationship quality / price and the chef was really kind and a very nice person.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bimbo_swiss

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My whole trip was organized by CAT (Class Adventure Travel) agency that specializes on Latin America. I was nervous because though I am experienced traveller, this was my first trip alone.
I was absolutely satisfied with everything: the hotel, the tours and excursions and my busy schedule, which was very important for me: I wanted to spend as little time in the hotel as possible.
My hotel room was even bigger than I expected, their stuff was very-very helpful, the breakfasts were delicious.
I want to thank CAT travel agency for making my dream come true.

Yelena Tretyakov from Florida.

Room Tip: I was happy with my room, so didn't have to make a research... sorry.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank YelenaOsprey
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We arrived as a group of 22 early evening at Hotel Astoria Palace. After a welcome drink in a cramped cocktail bar we were handed keys. We were to stay 3n here and we were looking forward to doing a little washing and reorganising our suitcases. This was day 18 of our trip. On our way to our room we were advised that we had to change rooms the next morning. Astoria Hotel Palace in Copacabana was the worst with poor facilities. Good location and very expensive laundry. The front office manager told us to use the local laundromat. They advise us on checkin that our room was not available as the hotel over booked. Rooms are very small. F/O manager very abrupt and rude. Told us we should check trip adviser before staying here. Hotel has position but would prefer better accom as most rooms face walls and not views if the beach. Went to buy water - side streets very sleazy Our 3 night stay spoilt by room change and unhelpful reception. Next morning we were packed to move as requested and after returning 4hours later we were put back into the same room. The room at 130pm had not been serviced and requesting it be done within the hour - it was.

This was very disappointing as all our hotels on the tour had been exceptional.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel as the rooms are very small
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank lmoffrey
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Astoria Palace hotel has a great location right on Copacabana beach. Breakfasts are pretty good (especially if you like cakes) although it can get busy at peak times. If you have one of the larger rooms at the front, it is a great hotel to be in. Some of the back rooms are very small and ours had a few problems including noise issues as it was near the outside air conditioners. Carlos at the front desk was extremely helpful, professional and efficient in helping us. We were impressed that he followed up on all our requests over the day while we were out on a tour. Fortunately for us his English is excellent, he took our concerns seriously and he is very conscientious.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front, they have ocean views and are much bigger. The rooms at the back are tin...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Despite the gentle employees trying to do their best, beware of some rooms that are clautrophobically small. When checking in ask if the water boilers are definitely fixed. It is not a good feeling to take a bath in the afternoon with cold water even in Rio de Janeiro. But if you want
to be very well located in Copacabana Beach (50 meters from Copacabana Palace Hotel), this may be your Hotel of choice.

Room Tip: refuse twin bed rooms Beach sighted...see the picture and you will understand why
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shragah
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Quite modern hotel (circa 2007). Ample rooms overlooking the beach (you have to reserve seaview). Several nice restaurants within walking distance. Perfect place to enjoy Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro.

Front desk staff made excellent suggestions for restaurants and arranged for the various tours taken.

Room Tip: Reserve a seaview room the higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Enrique F
Reviewed September 15, 2012

A reasonable priced hotel based right in the centre of Copacabana beach. Rooms comfortable and cleaned to a high standard with comfortable beds and clean linen provided. Nice selection of amenity kits (with shampoo soap and shaving kits) and bath comfortable robes.

We were most disappointed to be without electricity for a 12 hour period on one occasion without any explanation offered as reception staff were fed up offering a reason. I was surprised that there is no emergency lighting in the corridors and we felt a little trapped in our rooms for a while. During our four night stay, hot water was intermittent and not available for most of the peak times (mid mornings and later afternoons). Air conditioning is provided by singular units that make a lot of noise and even when switched off, the noise from neighboring ones is just as bad. Be prepared to be awoken most mornings by the loud noise of water being pumped into the upper floor tanks or the constant beeping of the maid's walkie talkies.

The breakfast was excellent and the reception and house staff helpful. Overall, not bad for a short stay in Rio and I would certainly consider staying again, even with its minor faults.

The hotel also offers a reasonably priced airport transfer service which was good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple