After carefully combing through the reviews for different guest houses in Rio, I stumbled across Castelinho38, which is located in the very safe, beautiful, and lively hilltop neighborhood of Santa Teresa. After five glorious days at the Castelinho -- with its excellent staff and facilities, sweeping views of Santa Teresa and the Baía de Guanabara, intoxicating flora, sumptuous breakfasts (oh, for another delicious avocado shake!), and joyous environs -- I am already hatching a plan for returning there with my family as soon as we can manage.
Santa Teresa is, by far, the best place to be in Rio. There, you mingle with locals and feel much less like a tourist and more like a Carioca. Great nightlife, with plenty of live samba and chorinho and bars that spill out into the street, abound in Santa Teresa -- all of it just a few minutes' walk from the Castelinho (as a solo female traveller, I felt very safe walking to and from Santa Teresa's main street after dark). And yet, the Castelinho itself remains a wonderfully tranquil haven from all the activity just below. In fact, there, you have a wonderfully expansive terrace, complete with soothing bossa nova sounds, hammocks, and a well stocked honor bar, where you can spend the evening 'in' while absorbing some fantastic nighttime Rio ambiance.
I had the tremendous good fortune of being upgraded to the Castelinho's Bamboo room, and later the deluxe Mangueira suite. Both of which were extremely chic and decorated in the utmost of taste and comfort. Nice beds, pillows, and linens. All the provisions, really, of a 4 or 5 star hotel, and then some!
Did I mention the avocado shake?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castelinho38 is a real castle in Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro's bohemian neighborhood. With its friendly atmosphere and huge space, the castle is ideal for couples, families and groups. Each room has its own personality and is equipped with queen-size beds, hot shower and fans. Our exotic breakfast is served in a beautiful terrace with view of the centre of Rio. Our friendly staff is always available for travel advice and tips for day & night life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Castelinho38 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castelinho38 Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Castelinho38 Rio De Janeiro, Brazil