“A great place to stay”

Ranked #40 of 331 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“A great place to stay”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Helpful, friendly staff, English spoken, and a haven for relaxtion after busy days at a conference elsewhere in the city. Clean, reasonably sized room and nice breakfasts and bar area. On top of a hill with great views, but many steps and perhaps not so good for anyone with walking difficulties (not a problem for us). Within 10 minutes' walk from the famous Donde tram, and bars and restaurants. Rio's reputation as a damgerous city proved completely unfounded for us in this relaxed, friendly area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Merced, California
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Let's face it, Rio is expensive. Do not expect to get for your money what you would get for the same amount in the US. My room was barebones, and windows could not be sealed completely due to louvers on the bottom of the window (I stayed in Goyabeira and also saw Dama de Noite). Still, as a middle-aged female traveling by herself, I was made to feel extremely comfortable, and never once was I concerned about safety as a first-time visitor to Brasil. Especially Fernanda was a stand-out with respect to patience and helpfulness with my myriad questions, and she gave many good tips and advice to deal with my nervousness as a new arrival.
The breakfast provided every morning was generous and provided many options. Having a sensitive stomach and having been conditioned by the Mexican experience, I was not concerned about hygiene at all. The bar staff (Lixi??) was also very kind, and the two giant dogs I initially gave a wide berth to, became my friends! All in all: lovely memories!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Castelinho 38 is one of the best place I´ve ever stayed in Rio. It´s the best place to be in Santa Teresa too!!! I loved to be there! Every room is well decorated, clean, calm...perfect! I had a wonderful time! I want to come back to there as soon as possible!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2011

You wouldn't be looking for a SPA or haute cuisine, but here you have an artistically inspired B&B with all the charm of a modernised colonial building in the secluded, quiet, safe and pitouresque Santa Teresa, a haven of artists and graffiti. Worth getting a room with a Veranda and during the winter wrap up warm!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Orlando
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This property is realty something. Perfect if looking to stay in st. Teresa and feel like it's your home away from home for however may days you are able to stay. The view is great and having Saint Teresa right outside your door is a wonderful way to experience Rio. We actually slit our time between here and a beach hotel, but could have easily spent the whole time here at the Castelinho 38.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights and it was the perfect location and experience for my week in Rio. Their motto is "The Art of Hosting" and they take it seriously. I used their airport pick up service and was greeted by a delightful driver who showed me sights on the drive in and told me interesting details about Rio. When I got to Castelinho I was welcomed by name (everyone there knew who I was which I thought was nice) and showed my (upgraded!) room immediately. The place has a lovely open feel to it and a breathtaking view. Every morning I had a hearty breakfast while soaking in Rio's splendor on their patio. However I felt it was the staff here that made my experience truly special. It was as if they were bursting at the seams to help me. There was always someone available to talk to or help me or get travel tips. I would ask a question about something I wanted to do and I was given maps, directions, options, bus numbers, taxi service, recommendations, alternatives... And when I came back I was always asked how my day was as well! It was very personalized and special and made me feel very empowered as a solo traveller. They had just the right combination of friendliness with professionalism.

I even spent my last night in their new addition room where I got to awaken to a view of the city right outside my window. And I thought it was very well priced in comparison with what I later heard some of my friends paid for Ipanema or Cococabana hotels. I also LOVED the neighborhood Santa Teresa. It had a vibrant, artsy feeling and I would stroll around smiling as I took it all in. Transport in and out was sometimes a challenge, but worth it.

I would return here without question if (when?!) I came back to Rio!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Sao Paulo
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Clean and tidy with friendly staff and light airy rooms. Nice views from the terrace over a tropical garden and a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo