Perfectly located in the heart of Ipanema, The Mango Tree is not your average hostel! Set in and around a traditional house retaining lots of original features, the common facilities are excellent; well equipped lounge/TV room, fully stocked kitchen, 3 communal PCs & a great outdoor (covered) dining area.
I stayed in an en-suite room at the rear of the site and, save for some unavoidable noise from the ongoing building work each day, it was a peaceful spot; a double bed, a big, clean room and modern bathroom facilities.
Breakfast was generous and varied. I did find the 10am deadline difficult to meet some mornings given all the nightlife Rio has to offer but there are loads of cheap alternatives nearby if you simply can't make it up in time!
In summary, don't let the term 'hostel' put you off if you're no longer a teenager. The place is smart, well located, 'well policed' by the management and frequented by a range of generations & nationailities. It's also good value in a very exclusive part of town!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in one of the best spots in Rio, just a block away from the world famous Ipanema beach, the Mango Tree recently hosted the bronze medal winning rowers, and sailors, of the Norwegian Olympic team for Rio2016, and offers a relaxing place to sleep, meet other travellers, and taste a chilled caipirinha. At our hostel you will find the comforts of a guest house (sprung mattresses, 100% cotton sheets, towels, a real Brazilian style breakfast that includes cereal, granola, papaya, watermelon, bananas, bread rolls, white and brown bread, ham, cheese, jam, yogurt, fresh cake, fresh juice, coffee, hot chocolate, local tea, Twinings English Breakfast and one hot option per day. Also Marmite and Vegemite when available, and our famous gas heated power showers) coupled with the warm welcome and atmosphere of a backpacker hostel. Ipanema is a safe residential district within easy reach of the Sugar Loaf and Corcovado. As well as the beach, it offers a wide range of bars and restaurants to suit all budgets, and plenty of shopping opportunities such as the weekly Sunday Hippie Market. The Mango Tree is based in a newly renovated 1930's colonial style house in a quiet residential area. It has 13 private rooms (2 triple, 2 twin, 10 with en-suite, all air-conditioned), 30 dorm beds, and all the facilities to make your stay with us the most memorable of your trip. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, HostelWorld and Priceline so you can book your The Mango Tree reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mango Tree Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- The Mango Tree Rio De Janeiro, Brazil