“A great place to stay”

Mango Tree Hostel Ipanema
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I only had 40 hours in Rio and I was travelling on my own I wanted somewhere easy, safe and friendly. I also wanted somewhere I could organise some trips from. I got all this from the Mango Tree - I booked a single room, which was perfectly adequate. I was able to leave my luggage safely for the whole day even after I'd checked out which was SO useful! There was a pleasant area to sit and relax and it was not far from shops and the beach. Breakfast was enjoyable and perfectly adequate - fresh fruit and cereal and fresh bread.

I was totally satisfied by my brief time there - it wasn't a larhe place, but it had all I required! It was also great to go somewhere where my lack of Portuguese wasn't an issue. I received good advice about trips and I thoroughly enjoyed the one I did which took me round the sights I'd hoped to see. If back in Rio I'd probable go back there.

Room Tip: Not sure about the shared bedrooms, not sure how much space in those rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank teachersuse

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed here in April 2012 and after staying at other hostels in Rio, this is the best one.
Great safe location. Close to Ipanema beach, subway, many bars and restaurants. Staff is nice and helpful. It can be quite noisy as I stayed at a dorm outside overlooking the courtyard area. Bathrooms are not the cleanest but ok. Good breakfast too. I totally recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ana D
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

The only downer was that our room was minuscule. If you can forgive that (or pay a little extra for a bigger room) this place would be phenomenal. Highly revomm

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank SPSSB
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The Mango Tree is a friendly hostel with a nice, quiet outdoor bar area that plays music until about 10pm. The double room we had was basic, nice and clean and there were a number of nearby bathrooms, which were generally clean and tidy. The breakfast was tasty and the staff helpful in getting your days full of activities. Probably one of the best aspects of the hostel is it's location given it is a block back from Ipanema beach near beach post 9. There's a great number of nearby places for snacks and lunch and everything is accessible via nearby bus-stops. Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrenage
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stayed in a double in mid May. In my opinion Ipanema is the best area to stay in Rio, but also the most expensive, so this hostel is a way to stay in the area without spending all of your money!

Not the best hostel in terms of room- very small, bathroom had a few issues (toilet smelling of sewerage, shower blocking up and flooding the bathroom) but the hostel was clean and quiet. Staff were great- always quick to answer questions, and helped us out when we had flight issues.

Definitely the best value in Ipanema- I would recommend it!!!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank AmyH27
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I really enjoyed staying here. Stayed in the luxury double. Nice room, great service. They have an outdoor bar, a kitchen, hammocks and a mango tree. The front desk is very helpful and speak English. It's in a great location in Ipanema, near a subway stop and about 2 blocks from the beach. They offer a lot of tours and information. If you're looking for clean, comfortable, convenient and affordable don't think twice and stay here!

Room Tip: Luxury Double is Luxurious!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Mango Tree for almost two weeks and enjoyed it so much! The rooms are very nice, especially the new ones with ensuite bathroom. The atmosphere is really laid back and the location is just great, a few minutes from gorgeous Ipanema beach. The staff were all very helpful at any time! Thanks for the lovely stay! It was really sad to leave and we'll definitely come back to the mango tree one day!

• Stayed: April 2012