“Not recommended”
Review of Hotel OK

Hotel OK
Ranked #157 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Stay here if you want to be woken up at the crack of dawn by the staff yelling at the top of their voices at each other up and down the galleried stair cases. Also stay here if you like bad internet connections and rude receptionists. The hotel is badly in need of some refurbishment and is over-priced for what you get.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel OK

Reviewed February 21, 2012

The staff were really good. The room size was quite fair but the food was crap, small and limited choice. The price was overcharged and in a location that apart from the day we saw the carnival which was handy, we would prefer to be near a each where there are shops and action, sun and fun. We paid extra to get out of there. No refund was given for any of the days we left not even part refund, bad advice from flight centre.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davodownunder
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I was not looking forward to staying in the Hotel O.K., but it was where our tour congregated. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Yes - it has passed its glory days, but it is being modernized (e.g. Bathrooms), and was very well located for some of the Carnaval Street Parties - Branco and Lapa.

The breakfast is a bit limited, there are only 2 lifts for 16 floors, and WiFi is patchy (try the stairwell rather than the Lobby or Bedrooms). However, WiFi is free, and the Roof Terrace is pleasant.

Overall - Absolutely fine!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on 2nd or 3rd floor due to congestion in the lifts. There are 2 lifts for 16 floor...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank RonanMcE
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Ok my God... I should fire my secretary!
Even if I wanted only one bed and shower, any backpacking hostel is better that this.
Once inside you feel like you´re back to 70´s.
Extremely outdated property, furniture, amenities.
Terrible neighbourhood, close to the most dangerous downtown part of Rio.
You cannot walk after 8pm unless you have a machine gun.
Hookers, drunk guys, drug dealers, dirty streets, dark, I felt I was arrived in Silent Hill.
For the amount they charge it, you can find a good bargain in South zone or Rio, close to the beaches.
The only thing I could reasonable was the breakfast, ONLY!
Simply ignore the existence of this property and this neighbourhood.
For the foreigners: NEVER choose a hotel in Central area of Rio, NEVER!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank OrlandoJunior
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I recently may a booking with Hotels.com for a night at the OK Hotel in Rio de Janeiro, and choose this hotel in downtown because most hotels in Copabana or the beach area were sold out. Upon my arrival at the hotel presented the email to Mr Ricardo Rongel (front desk clerk) First he looked to me and my partner from head to toe and after searching my name in his computer told us that there was no reservation on my name, and asked for my friend's name. As I tried to said that the reservation was made on my name only, looking directly at him and ignoring at my remark, asked again. Then he looked through papers and said I don't have you on my list and we are sold out no rooms avail.
I asked there must be an error because I had my confirmation send by email from Hotels.com, he said we don't work with that company, never heard of them. As I presented my confirm print, he said "this is nothing just a piece of paper no value, anybody can make one and come here asking for a room".When I requested to have access to a computer to make a print from my email and look for a phone number as he insisted that I have to call them, he said that they did not have internet at the front desk and no way to look for Hotels.com phone number. As I insisted for assistance he denied at all telling that it didn't matter because they were booked, and to go some where else. I cross the street looking for help to the near by Atlantico Centre hotel and they told me to insist with them as I had a confirmed reservation and they knew who Hotels.com was. I came back and again Mr Rongel send me away. I said I was going to file a complaint for the lack of assistance and attitude his response was : GO AHEAD. I went to local tourism police and with their help came back to the OK Hotel. The Police asked Mr Rongel that he should give me access to internet or a phone to call he declined saying that only if I pay for a room I could have access to it, and that a room was available but at 10 times the amount confirmed by hotels.com
The rate that was confirmed was at $18 per night on a special they run (I learned from another desk clerk that promotion was expired ) apparently the reservations department at the OK Hotel did not update their information with OK Hotel and the only rate that show on availability was this promotion. As Mr Rongel verified the rate and told the police that they did not have such a rate in a loud voice, the entire front desk including, bellhop and some other customers laugh at us like if we were trying to pull some sort of scam. Mr Rongel left for dinner and another desk clerk took over who knew who Hotels.com was, made a phone call to the US and finally I talk to them, who insisted that the reservation was confirmed and in order but they were not able to contact the sales department as it was saturday evening and they were closed. I spend 3 hours standing at the front desk in between calls with Hotels.com and they could get me another reservation, finally I called an Hostel who in less than 3 minutes got me a couple of beds to spend our last night in Rio de Janeiro. The hotel refused to pay for our transportation to this hostel, did nothing to help us, their attitude was shameful to be at a front desk. I was a foreign tourist standing at a hotel in a very dangerous zone of Rio de Janeiro, exposed to being robbed as it was already night by the time I have to leave the hotel. The humiliation, mistreatment and attitude from Mr Rongel cannot be explained in this review fully. As Mr Rongel's response that no internet was available at the front desk, while waiting (3hours) there noticed that other clerk was watching a soccer game and talking to his fellows about scores. I do speak three languages including portuguese, they though I did not understand what there comments were. Please if you are consider staying at this hotel, think twice.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Worldhotels.com
6  Thank tobype2001
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Some things that happened at this hotel:
--One leg of the bed fell off
--One day they forgot to make my bed
--Every time I get into the bed I start with a pretty bad allergy. Note this happened to me when I got into the hotel bed and not elsewhere, so it is a bed related thing. Very likely the bed is not clean because this does not happen to me at home.
--Crappy TV, like from the early 90s
--very noisy

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed for six nights from 14th February, having booked through our travel agent in the UK.
The hotel is located in a noisy part of town but ideallu located for the party that runs for five nights in the adjacent square.
On arrival we were asked to pay for our room, pre-paid in the UK, but after some discusion the request was dropped, fellow guests in the hotal had the same experience. We also requested achange of room because the safe did not work. It did not work in the second room but was repaired on the spot, even though it was almost ten in the evening.
The room was small but comfortable enough and the ensuite was of a good standard. As well as breakfast we had a few lunches and one dineer in the hotel. The quality of all of our meals was excellent. Breafast had a good choice of fruit, cereal, breads, cakes, meats and cheese. Buffet lunch and dinner was mainly european but usually had a brazilian speciality as well.
There is an excellent roof terrace with a small pool and a bar. Ideal for a gin and tonic or glass of beer in the evening.
The staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and there was always a friendly greeting when you were leaving or entering the building. There is a small cafe adjacent to the hotel hich was only open on the last day of our stay, it had been closed for carnival, but it maintained the same high quality of catering and the staff were equally friendly.
There are plenty of shops in the neighbouring streets and it is only a five minute walk to the Metropolitan Cathedral. from the outside it looks like a dalek from Dr. Who and on the inside is genuinely modern, charming and maintains an air of peace and tranquility. Worth taking time out to visit.
The hotel is also minutes walk from the metro which will take you to most places you would want to visit if you combine its use with taxi's which are plentiful and cheap.
There might be grander hotels located near the main beaches in Rio but at Carnival time they are further away from the main action and I would be surprised if they offerred better care and attention.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple