Che Lagarto Suites Copacabana Anita
$217
$194
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$109
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
$565
$545
$40
$38
  • Pool
Orla Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$81
$73
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Barra(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$113
$106
  • Breakfast included
Copacabana Rio Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Breakfast included
Atlantis Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$93
$47
  • Breakfast included
Brisa Barra Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$92
$89
  • Breakfast included
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)
$213
$124
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfew blocksroom was cleansanta claravisiting riometro stationlate at nightstayed nightsair confresh fruithostelcopacabanalaundromatensuitewifiwalkablesupermarketsockets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 31, 2012

This was a very great place to stay. Despite the previous reviews about them making wrong bookings and sending people to different hostels. The MAIN point for people planning to stay here - there are TWO seperate Che Lagartos. The one advertised here is for the private rooms (en suite and normal ones), then there is a che lagarto around 10 minute walk away.. which I believe is for the dorm travellers.
The food was apparently quite nice (my partner and I don't eat meat but it was apparently very good) the people there are very friendly. VANESSA was awesome, as was the other girl who works with her. They were amazing especially during the busy carnaval period. The trips and excursions they helped organise were brilliant.
The rooms were cleaned everyday and nicely. The showers were not that bad, nor were the toilets. Possibly in the top 3 hostels that you could stay at. The prices were really high but I suppose thats what to be expected if going on NYE or carnival.
The walk to the beach is realistically 8 - 15 minutes depending on how fast you walk (I walk like a turtle).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JayTriv
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Very nice hostel in the heart of Rio!! :)) Very much RECOMEND IT to any cool young social people who are traveling alone or with friends in Latin America!!
The staff was AMAZING!! :)) Loved that they were extremely helpfull, social, went out at night with uu/ me and kept us company so that we would not get bored :)) Smiling, making sure that I was feeling great )) Good breakfast - fresh fruits, cerials, juices, milk & coffee.. )) Cool local and american different music :) I was travelling alone and really liked/ loved my stay there ) It's a basic place, but very good value for your money )) different people from different countries, cultures... loved it ))

p.s. the only ppl who didn't like the place were the tourists from USA xDDD Not so much depending on their judging xDDD

I loved it and CAN RECOMEND IT to everyone who want to have some fun!! ;)) :))))

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Anastasia P
Reviewed March 16, 2012

To start you are charged 5 reais per person for Internet use, and that is not on the website.
I exchanged several emails trying to book a transfer to the airport and they didn't booked it at all.
When we arrived to our room, it had two beds one next to each other and it looked to be a queen size. It doesn't have black out so every morning you will wake up at sunrise! And don't even think of sleeping during the day. When I complained about it they moved us to another room with the same issue!! No blackout at all and the bed was even smaller! We said we wanted to leave and they said we need 48hs in advance or we were not going to have a refound.
So I will have to stay two more nights very uncomfortable place having a terrible sleep.
Do if you are planning to visit Rio don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Aguromano
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This hostel is a very friendly place to be, it was our first time in south America and we felt very welcome. The receptionist was brilliant and took extra trouble to make sure were well looked after and had lots of helpful information about Rio. The hostel also had a great free breakfast, bread, cereal, meat, cheese, fresh fruit etc. However unfortunately the hostel was very dirty. The bathrooms weren't remotely clean (do not attempt without flip-flops!) and we saw some large cockroaches on the kitchen floor while cooking.
We found the hostel to have a very quiet atmosphere, mainly couples who kept themselves to themselves, there was no bar or common room that was really open while we were there.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I must be honest and say that we didn’t like Che Lagarto Copacabana Anita Hostel at first. I was travelling with my daughter. We were given a double room - as I had booked- in the new wing (the new part apparently) of the hostel. EXTREMELY HOT!!! Apart from that, the room ONLY had a double bed. NOTHING ELSE, in spite of the fact that there was enough room for a table, or a night table, or a chair!!!!!!!! The bed was very comfortable ( a new sommier). However, there were no hooks, cloth racks or shelves to place clothes! I had to take a stool that was on the corridor to our bedroom in order to have where to put our wet towels!!!

The following morning I asked for a night table – which was placed in the room when it was cleaned – but no lamp! :)

On our third day of stay we moved to a private room with private bathroom. It was a decent room where we had a double bed, two (very old) chairs but no night tables or lamps again! :)

On the 4th day, nights tables were included, but no lamps. We resigned ourselves :)

However, all in all, I must say that rooms are big, clean and spacious. They DO lack some essentials, though.

The hostel has just 2 restrooms for all the shared rooms: one on the ground floor and one on the first floor.

Strengths: 1- STAFF!!! The three girls - Camila, Natalia and Vanessa, all of them excellent! Always smiley, ready to help! They speak English and Spanish.

2- LOCATION: It is a privilege! In a safe area, 4 blocks to the beach and shopping streets nearby. Bus stops very near the hostel. The location is definitely an A+. However, instructions on how to get there are poor.

3- Good and safe transfer (to & from the airport) at a reasonable price.

4- Lots of lockers in the corridors (remember to take your own padlock).

Breakfast is simple but good. Coffee was always cold. By 9 a. m . there was no coffee left . I had to go to the kitchen and ask the lady in charge of that.

A R$5 fee for internet usage is mandatory. However, you are not informed about that in their website. That is not really fair since they only have 3 computers and sometimes only one of them worked properly. The other two were out of order or didn’t have an internet connection. We even had problems with the Wi Fi on the ground floor! Last but not least, there is no Wi Fi on the first floor where the bedrooms are!

The renovation works were still in process (people painting the walls).

Kitchen: everything in it was very old: the cooker, the cupboards, the fridge, the microwave.

Something I didn’t like: via email, I was asked the security number on my credit card by a member of the staff called Rodrigo to secure my booking, in spite of having paid one night in advance and apart from that the 10 per cent that Hostelworld charges because I had to make two reservations, as one of the days the private room with ensuite facilities was not available and the Che Lagarto booking engine didn’t allow me to make the booking as I needed. I didn’t send the number though, running the risk of the hostel not keeping my reservation, something which luckily didn’t happen.

In the second room where we stayed, there was no fun. And the policy of the hostel is that the air conditioning is only available from 8 p. m. to 10 p. m. The rest of the day you cannot use it, something which sound weird in a hot city like Rio!

Three out of five days, soap or shampoo was not provided and I had to go down and ask for them.

No reception the 24 hours. A guy from 11:40 to 8 a. m. who speaks only Portuguese.

It is a chain hostel and it's very commercialized. The excursions offered by the hostel were expensive. To give an example: Rio in a day cost 150 Reales. (a 5 hour tour). However, on Atlántida Avenue, we were offered a ten hour - tour (lunch included) at the same price!

Payments are only IN CASH. No credit or debit cards accepted. Something to be aware of is that the hostel turns dollar prizes into reales using “their” current exchange rates! So to work out how much you will actually be paying you will have to go on their US dollar rate and use their current exchange rate.

All in all, an average hostel, with more minuses than pluses. However, its staff and location make it worth giving it a try!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family