“The best place for a chic and trendy stay in Rio”

Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #6 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Budapest, Hungary
“The best place for a chic and trendy stay in Rio”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I spent five days in Rio. We spent two nights at the Fasano (two nights we spent in the center at Santa Teresa). We had a fantastic time at the Fasano. The set-up is very chic and sleek. The service was very good, although a few times more promised than delivered. Overall the staff wins guests over through attentive charm and an easy manner taking care of you. The roof terrace is a must, even if you don't stay there... The pool is cool, the view great and the barman knows how to mix his drinks. It is one of the few places you can have Caipirinha da Caju (on the basis of the fruits of cashew nuts): best with a bit of lime and minimal sugar, and the samba can start... The rooms are minimalistic, and if you have a choice, make sure you are as high up in the building as possible. We were on the second floor and it was noisier than expected. We took the honeymoon package, only available in Real, and totally worth it. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for the view and make sure you stay on as high a floor as possible.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janos S
Hotel-Fasano-RJ, Manager at Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your visit to the Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro and for putting some time aside to write a review about us.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

One of the great views of the world. The Hotel has it's posh policies for sure, and you feel you need to be wearing Chanel head to toe to enter. But the food is divine, which you're paying for of course, and the view from the rooftop is worth your visit alone. Do not miss if you're in Rio!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I checked in mid week (still off season --two weeks before Easter) and they told me the hotel was full and an upgrade was not possible. Having not been to Rio in a number of years, this hotel was recommended by some Brazilian friends as one of the most popular in the area. When I checked in to my room with its Miro-esque mirrors and small hand mirror on the ceiling above the bed, they were trying to hard to be hip and failing miserably. When I go to open my computer, there were actually bugs on the desk -- yes bugs!! I immediately went downstairs and explained the situation. "What type of bugs?" Was the question they asked. Are you kidding me???? Does it matter??? They then tried to give me a lesser room telling me it was the only one that was clean. I asked for the manager who only showed up 20 minutes later. I recanted the same story and he did not even offer an apology. I was finally given a room next door to my original room which was very dark. That night I returned home from dinner with friends about 11 pm and went to bed. At 4:30 am on a Wednesday, there was a drunken group of guests who decided to continue their lobby on my floor and literally woke up the entire floor with its paper thin walls. You could hear several people yelling through the walls for them to quiet down. I thought I might have taken a wrong turn on my evening run and ended up in the favela down the road instead of this grossly overpriced hotel. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: For a good room, stay at another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
11 Thank Miami2London
Dear Guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your visit to the Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro.

We offer no excuses but our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay with us, and for not achieving the level of quality in service that we strive for.

Thank you for sharing your experience and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights at the start of our Brazilian adventure. The hotel is very well located towards one end of Ipanema beach. We had a deluxe ocean view room on the fifth floor which had a great view of the beach. Room itself was smallish and quite dark. The rooftop swimming pool was frequented by a very self-conscious crowd, so if you are into posturing this is the place for you (it wasn't for us though). Lifts slow-coming at times. One thing that was very irritating was the staff's insistence on telling you their name at any interaction. This policy of trying to create some friendly atmosphere in fact had the opposite effect on us (just felt very insincere). Breakfast was served in the restaurant and was the best thing about the place. After we got back from our holiday we realised that we had left an item of clothing in the room. The good thing was that they had it in lost/found. The bad thing was that they charged more than £100 to send it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sakse_Joanna

Reviewed April 6, 2014

If you want a fashion hotel with great decoration, good food an service that's Fasano. The terrace with pool is a postcard of Rio, a must. The lounge bar is another standout of the Hotel.
Service is very good, almost a Four Season or Ritz level.
If you like to surf even better as Arpoador is one of the best surf points of Brazil and you can always lend a skateboard to ride on the beach bike/skate path.
A great place to feel Rio with style.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank LuizLobo

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This place is a 4 star hotel (although they market themselves as a 5 star hotel), but I felt like the hotel was trying to cheat me on our final bill in three separate instances and as a result, I only believe it deserves a 3 star review:
(1) At the time of booking, we were quoted a rate in USD and reserved our room based on that rate. At the time of checkout, the hotel converted the rate to BRL (as expected) HOWEVER, the hotel uses their own exchange rate to do so --- which is much less favorable than the market rate. They used BRL 2.45 per USD $1 instead of market which was BRL 2.27 per USD $1 in order to convert the quoted USD room rate to BRL – as such we ended up getting charged 8% more on our room rate than what was originally quoted. When room rates are about a grand per night, and since we stayed 4 nights, we ended up getting charged several hundred dollars more than we should have. I’ve since tried to argue with them that this makes no sense, especially because based on their OWN online reservations website, you can see rates and choose to have it shown in USD or BRL and the conversion shown on their own website is based on market exchange rates. So to be charged based on an exchange rate that is 8% less favorable than market at checkout is simply ridiculous. If I was looking to exchange currency/cash, I can understand the hotel giving a less favorable exchange rate – that’s common. But the hotel isn’t exchanging any cash here! I’ve since filed a claim with Amex to get the difference back since the hotel has not rectified the problem or provided a satisfactory explanation.
(2) We had booked the hotel through American Express’ Fine Hotel and Resorts Program. As a perk, we were informed at the time of our online booking that we would get a USD $100 spa credit, which is typical for hotels in this program. When we arrived, we received a certificate for our spa credit which noted that we were entitled to USD $100 credit and that both myself and my partner were entitled to the credit. The wording was not clear whether we each would receive a USD $100 credit or whether we would receive just one which could be shared (which wouldn’t have made much since to tell me that a single USD $100 credit could be shared since there was no single spa service that was less than USD $100 anyway). Confused, I made sure to ask the front desk person who gave us the tour of our room and she said we were EACH entitled to a USD $100 credit. I was happily surprised. But low and behold, at the time of checkout, they only credited us for one USD $100 credit. After several minutes arguing with the front desk personnel, we got the additional USD $100 credit
(3) Our plan included daily breakfast. On our day of departure we had to leave before the breakfast buffet started. We asked the concierge if we could do room service instead. They checked with the manager and they informed us that we could and not to worry since the front desk was aware of it and that we wouldn’t be charged. Not true. As I reviewed the bill at checkout, room service had been charged (which, by the way, was cheaper than what the breakfast buffet would have cost…). Once again, I argued with the front desk personnel to remove the charge.

I understand these mistakes occasionally happen, but at a hotel that touts itself as a 5 star hotel there shouldn’t be this many mistakes.

If it weren’t for the above, this hotel would deserve 4 stars. To state the obvious (and what most people have already said) --- this hotel is expensive. But Rio is expensive and you have limited options for luxury hotels (other than this there’s the Copacabana Palace, Hotel St. Teresa and maybe the Marina All Suites) – so to some degree you’re kind of trapped if you’re looking for a luxury hotel. And expect to run into some major language barrier issues, even at this hotel, if you don’t speak Portuguese. Now for more specific pros and cons:

Pros:
(1) Concierge – the concierges, especially the two daytime female concierges are simply spectacular. They are beyond helpful and are responsive – which can’t be said of much of the other staff.
(2) Breakfast – a wonderful array of foods to satisfy any appetite. Service at breakfast was fabulous and befitting a 5 star hotel. Unfortunately, only the concierges and the breakfast staff offer a level of service befitting a 5 star hotel --- the rest of the staff could certainly benefit from learning from them as their level of service lags FAR behind.
(3) View from room – we booked an oceanfront room and the view was spectacular. The bed faces the sliding glass doors offering a fabulous view of Ipanema beach. Ask for a higher floor and ask to be directly facing the ocean --- not the angled view that faces Rua Joaquim Nabuco.
(4) Pool scene – Sit up on the beautiful rooftop pool in the afternoon as the sun sets and you’ll forgive all of the missteps of this hotel (at least temporarily…). The view is spectacular and the pool area really is quite lovely. You’ll not want to leave it for the chaos that lies below. Although you should at least check out the beach for a bit (and the hotel does have a small area where waters, chairs and umbrellas are provided), we found the pool scene to be MUCH better.
(5) Design – the design of the hotel is great --- the furniture, mirrors, lighting. Really top notch design.

Cons:
(1) Pool Service – expect to have to ask for things multiple times before you get what you need. There were times when we wanted a menu and we’d be flailing our arms while the staff simply stood at the other end of the pool talking to each other. They could certainly learn to be more attentive. Further, sometimes we’d ask for something (like a drink or check) – and it would never appear and we’d have to request it yet again. This happened repeatedly.
(2) Front Desk – the front desk leaves much to be desired in terms of 5 star service. Certainly not friendly and could use an attitude adjustment. At check in our room wasn’t ready (understandable since we were early), but when I asked for an estimate of when it might be ready, they said they simply had no idea and couldn’t give us a time range and to just check back periodically. What?! I then suggested that THEY should call me when the room is ready. At a supposed 5 star hotel, shouldn’t they have been the ones to offer that solution, not me?
(3) Lack of Communication between staff – the staff simply don’t communicate with each other. We had an instance where the concierge said they were going to arrange a cab for us, but when we went out to the front we had at least 3 other people ask us if we needed a cab. On another instance, the guy hailing cabs suggested we take the hotel’s car service instead and that it would only cost us BRL 20. At the end of the ride the car driver (who, btw, was texting while driving and singing along to a Justin Bieber song that he kept on repeat...) was yelling at us that we owed him BRL 40. In the end, the hotel nixed the charge altogether, but it should have never happened to begin with.
(4) Wear and tear – although the design is lovely, there is a definite sense of wear and tear in the rooms and they could certainly be refreshed. The wooden floors show it as do the small dings and chips you’ll see on the furniture. The rugs in the rooms look dingy and look like they haven’t been cleaned in years (no exaggeration…). The hallways also have a very musty smell.
(5) Housekeeping – on one day housekeeping hadn’t made our room by 3.00pm. We then called saying we’d be at the spa for a treatment and requested to have it done then. We returned at 5.30 and the room still wasn’t done. Also, they don’t do a very thorough job. When we checked in to our room you could see pink soap scum stains which had accumulated in the white marble shower. Also under the bathroom sink were several long hairs not belonging to us and a dead moth – I’m fairly certain that was not part of Philippe Starck’s design.
(6) Gym – ha! This is a joke. It’s the size of a large walk-in closet and barely has any equipment, but oddly, there is a personal trainer on standby although no one seems to use him...
(7) Location – it’s located at the very end of Ipanema. The neighborhood is fine and certainly better than Copacabana, but Leblon is MUCH nicer and feels much cleaner and safer than Ipanema. Most of the good restaurants and shops are located in Leblon or on the other end of Ipanema.

At the end of the day, I would recommend this hotel to someone coming to Rio who was looking for a “luxury” hotel --- but that’s simply because there aren’t really alternatives that fit the bill of a luxury “designer” hotel on the beach. Just know that you’re not going to be getting 5 star service (and at times, you’ll be lucky to get 4 star service). And most importantly, check your bill at checkout line by line and make sure the BRL conversion makes sense!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ptn4
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your visit to the Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro and for putting some time aside to write such a thoughtful review about us.

We apologize for all the inconveniences you have experienced while with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We kicked off our Brazil honeymoon at the Fasano, and we will definitely be back as often as possible! Or arrival was rough- our car transport never showed up to the airport (they did pay for our cab), and when we checked in, our room was not clean (robe on the bed, trash in the bathroom, disgusting) with an awful view. Not what we were looking forward to after 10 hours of overnight travel! However, the wonderful staff at the Fasano handled the situation better than we would have ever expected...within 10 minutes of calling to complain, we had the guest service manager in our room, assuring us another room was being prepared for us and talking us through dinner options for the evening. Sure enough, a few minutes later, we were brought into the most spectacular hotel room I've ever seen- probably 1500 sq. ft. with the best views of Ipanema and a bottle of champagne on ice with chocolates, candles, and rose petals- small, dirty room and scary cab ride were no longer important! The next 2 nights were wonderful, the hotel staff made sure we always had safe transportation and was very helpful to make reservations and recommendations throughout our stay. The pool is beautiful, and the drinks are strong and delicious. They also have a convenient beach service right across the street with security guards, chairs, towels, and bottled water- a big plus on busy Ipanema. The location is outstanding as well, we felt safe walking around during the day and in the evening in Ipanema, much nicer than Copacabana. We won't stay anywhere else when we return to Rio, and I have a feeling we will be back frequently!

Room Tip: Ocean view is a MUST- rooms on the side have no view. Ask for an upgrade, especially if you have a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashleigh G
Hotel-Fasano-RJ, Manager at Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro, responded to this review, September 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro as a place to stay during such an important occasion as your honeymoon.

I take this opportunity to also thank you for writing such a thoughtful review about us, and to once again apologize for the inconveniences you experienced in the beginning of your stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro in a near future.

Kindest regards,